C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How should a new post be titled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Default How should a new post be titled?

When I scroll through the new posts I inevitably come across a post like "Now what" or "Help" or My wife said", etc.

I rarely open them as I hate being disappointed after spending time reading about "someone's dog running away" or "the wife's cooking disaster", or even worse, "my car wont start, should I open the hood and check?".

Worst yet, if there is valuable information contained in subsequent posts, there is no way to search for that info. in the search area.

When I post, I try to be very specific about the content, that way I am assured that someone will read and comment about the problem.

Am I asking too much for posters to think about what they are going to write or is this just another wasted post?

:will y:

Last edited by Roger Walling; 07-24-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
When I scroll through the new posts I inevitably come across a post like "Now what" or "Help" or My wife said", etc.

I rarely open them as I hate being disappointed after spending time reading about "someone's dog running away" or "the wife's cooking disaster", or even worse, "my car wont start, should I open the hood and check?".

Worst yet, if there is valuable information contained in subsequent posts, there is no way to search for that info. in the search area.

When I post, I try to be very specific about the content, that way I am assured that someone will read and comment about the problem.

Am I asking too much for posters to think about what they are going to write or is this just another wasted post?

:will y:
NO - just don't expect much to happen differently...
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

There have been a bunch of threads lately where the title is their userid. WTF?

I visit several generations so maybe it's more in other sections. I just skip right over them.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to frequent a gun and gun parts for sale website, free to all. Anyway, they had a moderator who would delete confusing not to the point thread titles. Agree, no reason to have ambiguous lazy thread titles. Ignore them, it's actually inconsiderate if you think about it.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

There may be blogging etiquette, but so far as I know there are no hard/fast rules for titles other than nothing offensive. If people can't dream up a title for their thread beyond their own name, or something like "I'm confused" then that's their prerogative. Most of what is written in the CF is just jibberish anyway, totally lacking in any value whatsoever, much like this post, (and this thread for that matter). So, what difference does it make what people title their threads?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
There may be blogging etiquette, but so far as I know there are no hard/fast rules for titles other than nothing offensive. If people can't dream up a title for their thread beyond their own name, or something like "I'm confused" then that's their prerogative. Most of what is written in the CF is just jibberish anyway, totally lacking in any value whatsoever, much like this post, (and this thread for that matter). So, what difference does it make what people title their threads?

65hihp,

Thank you for your comment. I have to agree with you on your thoughts except your last sentence.
No matter what I work on, write about or even think about, I try to improve it.
It may be a waste of time, but it does engage my mind, and if anyone doesn't think of the alternative, all is lost.

Roger
Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Walling

I share your concerns. I don't open posts with titles like you describe unless there's already half dozen responses which does indicate some interest.
The following users liked this post:
Roger Walling (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

This thread is the definition of hypocrisy.....
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

That's funny. I thought it was expressions of opinions.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Roger Walling (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by MikeM
That's funny. I thought it was expressions of opinions.
Sorry, my opinions not up to your approval....

Get notified of new replies

To How should a new post be titled?

Quick Reply: How should a new post be titled?