C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage air installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:35 PM
promike
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vintage air installation question

I am ready to install the dash items on my 67 coupe while it is still on the rotisserie. I have a vintage air sure-fit system for the car but I have an opportunity to get a factory air dash set-up. Is this a viable option and will I be able to utilize the center vent? Also can I put the controls in the place of the factory controls for a cleaner install?
Thanks for any help.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Not sure what you're asking....if you gonna use the GEN IV evaporator; you'll need the correct ***** to control the stepper relays and if you use those the only thing of use from the original A/C is the center vent; and yes; I'm sure you can find a way to plumb that in. You just have to do a "Y" duct takeoff of one of the other Vintage Air nozzles,..

If you wanted to eliminate the non-factory center console side panels you could just use the factory center vent....
Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 PM
promike
Heel & Toe

I'm thinking of doing as you said and use the center vent and putting the temp control at the factory location. I will mock things up and decide if I want to use the original center dash or the factory a/c dash.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:20 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Been done.

BigEarl56 had this done in a '67 restomod he built last year. Send him a PM and I'm sure he can help you out.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Mike Coletta restomodded BigEarl's car, you could PM him directly; I've seen him do center vents several times often on C1 cars in the hole for the clock.

If you're clever I think you could mount the A/C temp control through the center console waterfall using a stock **** and keep things clean looking.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Using the stock center high vent can be done, but it requires some modification to the upper stock duct. I've included a couple of pictures. The problem is that the stock vent duct will not go around a non-stock speaker. I pointed the tubes downward for ease in installing the vintage air tubing.

Mike Coletta
Attached Images    
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM
promike
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the pics. Today we will do a mock up and determine if we will use the factory a/c dash or the original dash. Either way there will be air in the car. I live in Texas and it is a must have, not an option in my opinion. The install doesn't look to be to difficult while the car is bare and accessible on the rotisserie.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage air installation question

Quick Reply: Vintage air installation question