C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Advice before I wire all 4 rear lights to brake/turn/tail

Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 PM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 100 Posts

Default Advice before I wire all 4 rear lights to brake/turn/tail

I have a 66. Already run 4 red lenses just for appearances. (simply am not concerned about reverse lights) Now I want to have all 4 lights wired to be brakelights, taillights and turn signal. (maybe just the outboard lights as turn signals) Can I just buy 2 outboard replacements and install them in the inboard positions? (and then wire them in line with the outboard ones) My electrical skills with cars is minimal, but it does make sense to me. (assuming the outboard lights fit in the inboard holes) Will my flashers work properly with this new load? Am I just way off base here???
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by vipervetteguy
I have a 66. Already run 4 red lenses just for appearances. (simply am not concerned about reverse lights) Now I want to have all 4 lights wired to be brakelights, taillights and turn signal. (maybe just the outboard lights as turn signals) Can I just buy 2 outboard replacements and install them in the inboard positions? (and then wire them in line with the outboard ones) My electrical skills with cars is minimal, but it does make sense to me. (assuming the outboard lights fit in the inboard holes) Will my flashers work properly with this new load? Am I just way off base here???
If you only want the outside to flash, there won't be any change in load, so no problem. However, you would have to seperate the turn/brake wire for the inboard light brake filament since the flasher flashes the brake filament and the tail filament is separate. So to get brake and tail lamp on the inner socket and no flash would be more involved.
The easiest thing to do is put a dual connector socket like the one in your outboard lights in the inner light fixture you probably have for the back up light (which is a single connector). Or you could replace the whole fixture if that's easier for you.
You would then connect the wires from the outboard bulb wires to the same inboard wires on your new socket/fixture. Do that for each side. The left side brake/turn wire will be yellow or black/yellow stripe and the running light will be brown. The passenger side brake/turn will be green or black/green stripe and the running (tail) light will also be brown. Make sure you have the current ground on the inner socket connected back if you change the fixture. It is a short black wire going from the outboard to inboard fixture under a nut.
You may have to change the flasher on the panel by the radio side cover to a heavy duty if you're not happy with the flash speed. (or an electronic flasher which is pretty close to the same price as a standard flasher)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Just order left and right inner tail light assemblies. I believe 63-66 not equipped with reverse lights that is what was used.

Tom
Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Booooooo!

I have backup lights on R66 and wanted more brake lights. We rarely drive R66 at night to use the backup lights.

I put red LEDs (1156) in the backup lights with the original white lenses. Also added the infused LED tail light lenses on the outer lights.

Then ran a wire from the connector on the fire wall (going to the backup lights) to a new wire ran to the brake light switch and Tee'd it in at the brake light switch.

No modifications to the original wiring harness and can easily be reversed by removing the one added wire and reconnecting the connector on the firewall and changing the bulb back to the original 1156 to restore the backup lights.

If you are interested in this PM me and I will take some pictures. I don't want to waste time if you are not.

Last edited by R66; 07-26-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The very easiest thing to do since you already have a socket and red lens would be clip the b/u wire and connect the wire going to that socket to the tail light wire on the outer socket. That would give you 4 tail lights and one brake/turn on each side. You could do the same with the brake/turn wire instead of the tail light, but I don't think the intensity would match the outer bulb. If you want dual in both sides, you'll have to modify or change the inner sockets. This is the way you want your wiring to end up if you have two dual sockets on each side of the car.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-26-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sky65
Just order left and right inner tail light assemblies. I believe 63-66 not equipped with reverse lights that is what was used.

Tom
I thought all 63-66 had reverse lights via the 2 inboard lights. The 67 went to 4 red lights with a center mount reverse rectangle. Am I missing something here? What do the inboard lights on a 67 do? (Tailights, brake, and/or turn?)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The very easiest thing to do since you already have a socket and red lens would be clip the b/u wire and connect the wire going to that socket to the tail light wire on the outer socket. That would give you 4 tail lights and one brake/turn on each side. You could do the same with the brake/turn wire instead of the tail light, but I don't think the intensity would match the outer bulb. If you want dual in both sides, you'll have to modify or change the inner sockets. This is the way you want your wiring to end up if you have two dual sockets on each side of the car.

I definitely want 4 brake lights if I'm going to the trouble of a modification, so I need 2 outboard style sockets to mount inboard. Isn't that what a 67 has?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

I definitely want 4 brake lights if I'm going to the trouble of a modification, so I need 2 outboard style sockets to mount inboard. Isn't that what a 67 has?
Yes, that diagram I posted is a 67. That's why I xed out the b/u lights. You don't have to run the wires back to anywhere, just connect same to same on the outboard socket. Tape the end or cut off the b/u wire and leave it disconnected on both sides.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-27-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 AM
whitoak
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, I am looking at the LED upgrade for our 1966. For those of you who have done the upgrade to LED, do you think that taking out the back up bulbs and going to 4 tail lamps is needed. Or is the LED bulb on the outside bright enough to make that unnecessary. I am a little torn between the better look of 4 red lamps and keeping the stock appearance.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I recently installed the LED red lens/bulb units on my 64. Prior I had just the LED bulbs alone. There is a tremendous difference in brightness between just the led bulb and the led/lens unit. I had considered going to four lights in the rear but don't think it's necessary now.
I also installed new led/ yellow lens units in the front for brighter driving lights and blinkers. Dave
The following users liked this post:
whitoak (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Sky65

Tom

Some, if not all 66's came with back up lights.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
Some, if not all 66's came with back up lights.
Standard in 66. Optional in prior years. My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the backup lights main advantage is letting the car behind you know you're backing up

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 AM
drdave69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the 4 LED at the rear and the 2 amber LED at the front and am very happy with the results. I did not see a need for the backup lights vs. better rear lighting.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:38 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Standard in 66. Optional in prior years. My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is the backup lights main advantage is letting the car behind you know you're backing up
I feel it's much more important (and a lot more frequent) that people see strong brake lights than my reverse lights. When I back up it's always very slowly and I am well aware of who is behind me. So, I'd rather have 4 brake lights than 2 reverse lights and only 2 brake lights.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out my original plan made sense. I'm going to buy 2 dual wire sockets and wire them to the outboard lights. (And 2 dual filament bulbs) I may have to get a new flasher to deal with the slower flashing with the additional bulbs.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out my original plan made sense. I'm going to buy 2 dual wire sockets and wire them to the outboard lights. (And 2 dual filament bulbs) I may have to get a new flasher to deal with the slower flashing with the additional bulbs.
That will work.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice before I wire all 4 rear lights to brake/turn/tail

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice before I wire all 4 rear lights to brake/turn/tail