C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Tank Sticker value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM
ByByeAmericanPie
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, just so everyone knows, the holder of the "paper" is through a known person who is VERY reputable in the business. So, I am 100% certain that there is nothing shady going on.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ByByeAmericanPie
Ok, just so everyone knows, the holder of the "paper" is through a known person who is VERY reputable in the business. So, I am 100% certain that there is nothing shady going on.
that makes it 10x worse if you ask me. there is one known person who has many real paper work on Ebay for under 6K I guess when they know the car is out there the price goes up
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Yes. To begin with $4K for the hardtop is ridiculous. Two for sale right now here on the forum. The first on is a smoking deal at $900.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-others.html
That one is no longer available and it now seems unclear if it sold at that price.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:19 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
That one is no longer available and it now seems unclear if it sold at that price.
Who would buy it other than the OP? The tank sticker has no value to anyone else.

Did he buy it?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

If it's legit, I'd pay $2k.

Ed
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Who would buy it other than the OP? The tank sticker has no value to anyone else.

Did he buy it?
You may be misunderstanding my reply - what I was saying is that the removable hardtop cited as the smoking good deal in that link at $900 turns out to be sold already. Nothing to do with the the OPs potential hardtop purchase.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:30 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Very reputable and wants $20k for the tank sticker?

If he was reputable, he would ask a fair price for the hardtop and give him the tank sticker for free. Not very reputable if you ask me. Pretty much a conman.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

A friend just bought a 67, all original 427/435hp. Car is in #1 condition. He has found someone who has both the original hard top for the car as well as the original gas tank sheet. He wants $20k for both. IMO the top is worth ~$4000 - $4500 in restored condition. This makes the tank sticker come in at around $14,500.

Question is: How much value added does the original tank sticker add to the car?
Your friend ( or who ever ) probably paid a kings ransom for the car, in number 1 condition. Paper work, real, copy, or forged, is just what he needs to unload the car later to another believer.
I had no idea hard tops could be authenticated to be original to a certain car. Love to see this process. Just happen to have the tank sticker......... too good to be true unless he sold the car. Then why didn't he get the extra 20gs for documents many believe is so necessary ?
Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe you should turn the table on the fellow with the paperwork? Offer him a fair price for the paperwork or suggest he can purchase your ( or your friend's ) car for an amount 80k higher than the current market value. At the end-of-the-day, you are are the only person who would recognize any value to the tank sticker. If the fellow hopes to make any money on the sticker he will sell it to you.
I had a similar situation occur when buying the original engine to my car. There was a clear and documented non-factory over-stamp over my original numbers (the numbers for my car are still clearly readable below the overstamp) but the seller wanted a ridiculous number for it. Realizing there was only one real buyer for what he had, eventually he contacted me with a much more reasonable price in mind.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Edit: agree with the others goes with the car

Reputable for being a shady ahole sounds like, this hobby doesnt need guys like him

Realizing there was only one real buyer for what he had, eventually he contacted me with a much more reasonable price in mind.
This

Edit; Tell him youll pass on his phone number to the next guy in case he wants it.
he wil either bring his price down to earth or youll see it on ebay somewhere one day lol

Last edited by cv67; 07-30-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It doesn't sound like you've laid eyes on the tank sticker. So you really don't know what shape it's in. Some are so deteriorated that they are nearly worthless.

I wouldn't buy it at any price unless I could see it in person or a copy or a photo. Then, assuming it is in acceptable condition, I'd offer him $500. If he says "no", I'd tell him to go find another buyer. Then wait by your phone for him to call you back. Probably won't take long.

Steve
Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
It doesn't sound like you've laid eyes on the tank sticker. So you really don't know what shape it's in. Some are so deteriorated that they are nearly worthless.

I wouldn't buy it at any price unless I could see it in person or a copy or a photo. Then, assuming it is in acceptable condition, I'd offer him $500. If he says "no", I'd tell him to go find another buyer. Then wait by your phone for him to call you back. Probably won't take long.

Steve
But if the tank sticker looks "too good", I would also require that it be validated thru NCRS and that you would pay for this validation.

Larry
Old 07-31-2017, 12:18 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I wouldn't even consider paying ransom for a tank sticker. In the Pontiac community, build sheets and protect-o-plate booklets are given to the new owner of the car, no charge. Even long lost documents are posted and if an owner can prove the numbers match, the documents are given to the owner. It's the way it should be. If I had somebody's tanks sticker, I'd give it to the owner of the car. It's simply the right thing to do.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I wouldn't even consider paying ransom for a tank sticker. In the Pontiac community, build sheets and protect-o-plate booklets are given to the new owner of the car, no charge. Even long lost documents are posted and if an owner can prove the numbers match, the documents are given to the owner. It's the way it should be. If I had somebody's tanks sticker, I'd give it to the owner of the car. It's simply the right thing to do.
That is the way is should work. But not everyone shares this idea. Although I would not like to pay the ransom, $500 for a true tank sticker from a high-end car is not excessive.

I refused to pay the $$$$ransom for many documents from my 1967, and instead documented the car in other ways. Someday my paperwork and Bloomington Gold Award will be on Ebay from an estate sale................probably with no buyers. VIN is 194677S114845. Let me know if you see it.

The original owner of my 2011 Grand Sport convertible had GM make a picture book of the car being built in Bowling Green. He paid dearly for this service. The book went with the car.........and I have it in my bookcase, along with the build sheet and window sticker I still remain in touch with this guy........and he has the offer to stay at my house and drive his (my) car if he ever gets to New Orleans.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 07-31-2017 at 01:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Powershift:
GTOguy (07-31-2017), ptjsk (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Unlike the Corvette community, the Pontiac community must be a charlatan-free zone.

Steve
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Unlike the Corvette community, the Pontiac community must be a charlatan-free zone.

Steve
Well, maybe - but I have seen GTO clones made from LeMans attempted to being passed off as originals.......
Old 07-31-2017, 05:13 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Well, maybe - but I have seen GTO clones made from LeMans attempted to being passed off as originals.......
This is true....but easily avoided by purchasing a copy of the car's build sheet from Pontiac Historical Services. Makes spotting a fake car a snap. Probably why numbers aren't changed, etc.....The PHS documents tell what the is, what engine it came with, what options it had, etc. No argument with it. Wish Corvettes had the same documentation available.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Wish Corvettes had the same documentation available.
this
Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

This is true....but easily avoided by purchasing a copy of the car's build sheet from Pontiac Historical Services. Makes spotting a fake car a snap. Probably why numbers aren't changed, etc.....The PHS documents tell what the is, what engine it came with, what options it had, etc. No argument with it. Wish Corvettes had the same documentation available.
the majority of cloning took place in the 64-65 model year when the GTO was an option for the LeMans. But many 1966 4 barrel carb cars have been converted to Tri-Power and 67's had the hood tach added. I miss my 66 tri-power GTO.

Quick Reply: [C2] Tank Sticker value?