C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Adding Power Windows to my 65 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Adding Power Windows to my 65 Coupe

I would like to upgrade my windows. I am sure there are guys on this forum who have done this. I would like to tap into your knowledge.
I have a couple of questions:

What is the best pw kit to order?
Do I have to take the doors off?
Tips on cutting the hole in the shift console.
How did you handle the cup that the window switch sits in?
I know I have to replace the door panels.

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 07-29-2017, 05:39 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I did this years ago when used parts were plentiful. Even though things are different nowadays I would be patient and gather OEM parts as they come around. The chase could be as much fun as owning your C2. Al W.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:55 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Larry,

If you're not interested in OEM, Then get the kit from Auto City Classics. It works very well. Don't forget that you also have to add the door conduits, and cut the large oval hole in the door jamb. I've done both of these with the doors in place, but you'll have to be a little creative. You can install the kit with the doors in place. That center console metal is something else to cut. Typically, I cut from the bottom, reinstall, and mark the hump to cut for the cup. Long Island sells the cups. Just glue it in place. BTW, the original door motors were VERY slow. Auto City Classics has just updated their motors/gearing so that they are very close to original (speed wise). The last set that I ordered were so slow, that I called them and asked what happened.
The following users liked this post:
woodsdesign (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 11:16 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,036 Likes on 1,251 Posts

I added stock power windows to my 67 ragtop about 5 years ago. I used factory GM parts, which are still easily available as used (mostly) items. I had the used motors rebuild by a recommended repairers on CF. The hardest part was cutting the big holes in the hinge post for the conduits to go into ... measure 1,100 times, but once. I left the doors on. The speed of the windows going up or down is "fast." An advantage of using factory parts is that you can use the Assembly Instruction Manual as a guide. PWs are not at all necessary, but very worthwhile. No more reaching across to crank a window open while going down the road.

Last edited by LouieM; 07-30-2017 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
woodsdesign (07-31-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Power Windows to my 65 Coupe

Quick Reply: [C2] Adding Power Windows to my 65 Coupe