C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Does T.I. ignition have a ballast ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Does T.I. ignition have a ballast resistor?

I'm in Monterey for car week. I brought my car to drop it off at the show. Got within 100 feet of the show and the car died. The car is a 66 427/425 . The car will not restart but tries to start in the start position until I let off the key the car will die.

I guess my question is if I run a wire from positive battery to positive coil will I cook anything? Should the voltage at the positive coil be 12 volts or is it reduced by a resister?

Thanks as always

Peter

Last edited by bluovl; 08-17-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:41 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts

Factory TI cars don't have a ballast resister on the firewall, but they do have resistance wires that are covered with a white fabric insulation.

In your shoes I would check all the connections in the TI wiring harness, especially the plug-in nearest the amplifier box.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 PM
bluovl
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerrybramlett
Factory TI cars don't have a ballast resister on the firewall, but they do have resistance wires that are covered with a white fabric insulation.

In your shoes I would check all the connections in the TI wiring harness, especially the plug-in nearest the amplifier box.
Thanks Jerry
Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by bluovl
Thanks Jerry
make sure the ground comnection at the amp box is good. I have tested a lot of amps that were good but a bad ground prevented the car from starting

Last edited by PAmotorman; 08-18-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The round connector to the amplifier really needs to be fully seated to the box. It pushes on further than you might initially expect. I believe there is a rib and a relief on the mating grommet pieces that indicate full seating.

The circuit is easy to troubleshoot (maybe someone else can point to the Chevy News bulletin with the process), but in the field it's probably easiest just to swap amplifiers. If you are running an OE amp (that is, one that hasn't been updated with K&B or LL internal module), you should always have a good spare in the glove box.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:16 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Default TI flow chart

TI flow chart
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Does T.I. ignition have a ballast ignition?

Quick Reply: Does T.I. ignition have a ballast ignition?