C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would like your input on a 64 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,124 Likes on 552 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree with everyone so far.
It appears this car sat for quite a while in an unheated, possible damp floor, garage.
That is some heavy rust under the car especially in the rear.
I also appears that paint is very tired and has a lot of patina.
Are those bias ply tires?
I would have some one inspect the car first.
Joe
Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

That rust looks scary to me.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

It's very hard to evaluate the rust from these photos. It would be simple for someone to check the frame at the areas most susceptible to serious rust damage (like the kickups) as well as the birdcage. None of those areas are visible in the photos.

If the rust is just cosmetic with no perforation or weakening of the structure, I think the car is a pretty decent deal. But if there's any perforation or even just some soft spots, I'd say nope.

From the photos, that rust does look like it could be pretty serious, so I'd tread carefully and would definitely want an inspection before any deal is done.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I LOVE the color combo but it looks like the car will need attention everywhere in the next few years.

IF the frame is solid and IF the birdcage is solid and IF it runs out well, shifts, brakes, cools etc it is worth lower $30's. Probably realistic since it's priced in the mid $30's.

unless you paint yourself to a good standard- just be advised- paint alone will make your "marker purchase" be suddenly way underwater dollar wise. That isn't the last word on enjoying cars- I totally get that.

Oh, and one more IF - if you don't buy it, shoot me a PM, I would be interested.

good luck!

benton (also has an unrestored Daytona blue 64 driver)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Judging from the OPs location I am guessing the dealer is either Gateway Classics or Volo and if so you can bet they are asking more than the car is worth.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:09 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Make sure you check this area on the car. That frame rust is pretty heavy and if you poke around under there you may find this.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

If you think your 69 was a problem, this one will be twice that if you dont get it checked out.

Its a Michigan car I bet and seen hard weather .

It was well preserved from the oil on the bottom.

Take an educated person in Corvettes to check it out , I think with that rust it will be toast.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by plaidside
I agree with everyone so far.
It appears this car sat for quite a while in an unheated, possible damp floor, garage.
That is some heavy rust under the car especially in the rear.
I also appears that paint is very tired and has a lot of patina.
Are those bias ply tires?
I would have some one inspect the car first.
Joe
w/what he said. I was thinking those things too, when I first saw the rusty underside. But, it is hard to determine the degree of rust, surface or deeper, just by those pix. If it truly is just surface rust, then the lower $30's to $35k might still be a fair price. The patina was a little surprising too. That would push me to the lower $30's. If it drives okay, and you're comfortable w/the patina & tires & surface rust & the rest, the lower 30's would be reasonable.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:33 PM
SeeYah
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

based on the background I can tell that the car is at GR Auto Gallery....The pictures on their website of the frame/suspension show even a lot more rust that the pictures that you posted. Also take a look at the close up pictures that they posted of the trim/chrome....the paint looks to be a lot worse than most of the pictures show but the reason for concern would be the frame. I grew up in Grand Rapids and owned my first Corvette there before moving away in 1981. The frame on my 72 needed replacement after less than 10 years being in Michigan and wasn't driven in winter after 1976 when I bought it. Be very cautious on this car, if you buy it you could be in line for spending as much far more than the purchase price for frame replacement, paint, etc. IMO $35,900 is all the money and then some for this car.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If youre willing to keep it forever and throw the bank at it?
Too much rust for me, kind of a shame as it looks intact. Think that one will be a heartbreaker once you really poke into it-that exh was replaced awhile back probably from falling apart for starters

These cars are getting old sometimes it just isnt worth it.

Last edited by cv67; 08-27-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

He should have someone look at it. Could be fine, or it could be a can of worms. I personally would pass. Even ebay has a bunch of decent priced convertibles on right now.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Before you believe all of the horror stories posted here simply have the car looked at. It is not costly and will help you to determine either way if you should buy it. These vague pictures tell nothing. Is this typical surface rust or something more. Anyone who can tell from these pictures the quality of the paint should be a power ball winner by now. Seriously none of these pictures show much. The picture from directly in front looks like the hood fit and headlights gaps are nice. The interior appears older. But is it older original or older reproduction. If it is older original and still looks average it is a plus. If it is older reproduction and looks aged it is a minus. What if that paint is original paint? That is a big plus. How is the body under that paint? If unhit body big plus. If repaired minus. Need to see good pictures of the trim and vin tags as well as the stamp pad. Like I said if anyone can determine the condition of this car by pictures they are truly amazing. I will send you pictures of a car for sale that looked to have new paint,interior and chassis. The car turned out to have a one piece front end. The paint was very shiny but upon closer inspection had thousands of tiny bubbles. They never showed up even on close up pictures. Think total body acne. The frame as well had been blasted and painted and showed nice detail in photos. But it had several places filled with bondo,yes bondo. It truly looked great in pictures good at first glance in person. But as you can imagine not so much on the strong side. So in short go look at the car in person. Or have someone who really knows what they are looking at check the car over. Not just someone who owns one. Not just someone who used to own one. I have too many long time owners lately tell me how great,original and perfect their car cars were only to find shiny and sometimes not so shiny turds.
The following users liked this post:
Rich Yanulis (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

And do not use the inspector the seller recommends.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
With rust evident on the frame like that I'd have to personally poke around with an awl to check for holes, especially at the kicks behind the doors, the rear cross member, and the pads that the rear end hanger beam sits on. And of course the birdcage inspection. You HAVE to do it yourself or hire an expert to inspect it who has a lot of knowledge with those cars.
good luck
Appears to have been driven in salt/ice/water or sat in a barn with uncovered floor for a LONG time.

Tread carefully on the frame and birdcage. Also fuel and brake lines.

Larry
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 PM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Rust

It looks as though the car sat in a very damp area or has been exposed to road salt. I call a car like this a punkie car. Frame and birdcage could easily be punkie/ soft. Have an experienced body man look at the frame and birdcage. Use caution on that one. Dave
Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
With rust evident on the frame like that I'd have to personally poke around with an awl to check for holes, especially at the kicks behind the doors, the rear cross member, and the pads that the rear end hanger beam sits on. And of course the birdcage inspection. You HAVE to do it yourself or hire an expert to inspect it who has a lot of knowledge with those cars.
good luck
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Before you believe all of the horror stories posted here simply have the car looked at. It is not costly and will help you to determine either way if you should buy it. These vague pictures tell nothing. Is this typical surface rust or something more. Anyone who can tell from these pictures the quality of the paint should be a power ball winner by now. Seriously none of these pictures show much. The picture from directly in front looks like the hood fit and headlights gaps are nice. The interior appears older. But is it older original or older reproduction. If it is older original and still looks average it is a plus. If it is older reproduction and looks aged it is a minus. What if that paint is original paint? That is a big plus. How is the body under that paint? If unhit body big plus. If repaired minus. Need to see good pictures of the trim and vin tags as well as the stamp pad. Like I said if anyone can determine the condition of this car by pictures they are truly amazing. I will send you pictures of a car for sale that looked to have new paint,interior and chassis. The car turned out to have a one piece front end. The paint was very shiny but upon closer inspection had thousands of tiny bubbles. They never showed up even on close up pictures. Think total body acne. The frame as well had been blasted and painted and showed nice detail in photos. But it had several places filled with bondo,yes bondo. It truly looked great in pictures good at first glance in person. But as you can imagine not so much on the strong side. So in short go look at the car in person. Or have someone who really knows what they are looking at check the car over. Not just someone who owns one. Not just someone who used to own one. I have too many long time owners lately tell me how great,original and perfect their car cars were only to find shiny and sometimes not so shiny turds.
The first supposed a real nice C1 I bought I thought I was the expert because I owned one before. I got the biggest hammering I've ever got buying that car without having it inspected first. I've learned a lot since then and I trust my own judgment now, but at first the truth was... the more I learned about these cars, the more I learned how much I really didn't know.

Last edited by Randy G.; 08-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

I see a LOT more than just surface rust. It appears to me there is heavy rust/ scale,with large pieces ready to flake off.

Get notified of new replies

To Would like your input on a 64 for sale

Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

That's pretty much a duplicate of my car, but fortunately I don't have that rust, everybody has already mentioned all the things YOU need to see in person. I also noticed something in the drivers side top louver which appears to be an alarm switch maybe? Small hole to fix but not the deal breaker that the missing cigarette lighter is....
I am impressed with that interior, it looks to be in very good shape as does the convertible top, but again, one can't tell very much from pictures alone, it will be worth every dime for that plane ticket if it turns out to be a turd when you get there......Best of luck, I hope it's all you want it to be. .....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 AM
vin67
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

although $40k on a 64 conv. sounds like a great deal, I'm not sure if the dealer is locally to you or out of state, if its out of state and you really love the car, hire an expert to check it out thoroughly. If locally, bring an expert with you. $40k sounds really good but there's always a reason behind that. Best of luck :-)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Rust and lots of leaks and mechanicals would be my concern with that car. Maybe paint. Needs a thorough inspection by someone knowledgable. This kind of a seemingly good deal can get you upside down very quickly sorting it out. May be worth a look. My bet is it's rusty.

Quick Reply: Would like your input on a 64 for sale