C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

c2 - 66 Cluster Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:33 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default c2 - 66 Cluster Help

I've gone to drain the swamp in my cluster and found a whole bunch of alligators. In trying to remove the cluster, I've reached a problem with the oil pressure line. It's an original line with what use to be a 5/16 fitting. It won't break lose so I'm contemplating cutting the line and trying to get it out of the gauge on the bench. My questions deals with the replacement lines you get from the various dealers. Will the 3/8 nuts come off the line so that I easily pass it through the firewall grommet or will I need to remove the grommet to get the line through the firewall.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 09-03-2017, 04:36 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,044 Likes on 575 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by RMBLROAR
I've gone to drain the swamp in my cluster and found a whole bunch of alligators. In trying to remove the cluster, I've reached a problem with the oil pressure line. It's an original line with what use to be a 5/16 fitting. It won't break lose so I'm contemplating cutting the line and trying to get it out of the gauge on the bench. My questions deals with the replacement lines you get from the various dealers. Will the 3/8 nuts come off the line so that I easily pass it through the firewall grommet or will I need to remove the grommet to get the line through the firewall.

Thanks in advance.....
The new line comes with the ends loose.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by RMBLROAR

Thanks in advance.....
You can buy new copper coated steel lines and special end fittings. LICS and probably a few other places.

You could also cut the line at the gage rear fitting and then try to get/pull a bit extra from slack in the line to reinstall.

But do what you need to do, and a replacement can be purchased.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
RMBLROAR (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:57 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
The new line comes with the ends loose.
Outstanding......

Thanks..
Old 09-03-2017, 04:59 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Originally Posted by Powershift
You can buy new copper coated steel lines and special end fittings. LICS and probably a few other places.

You could also cut the line at the gage rear fitting and then try to get/pull a bit extra from slack in the line to reinstall.

But do what you need to do, and a replacement can be purchased.

Larry
Great idea!!!! It's probably an 1/8 or 1/16 inch line. I'll do some research at my local hw store...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Oil line

As mentioned above, the line you need is copper over steel. A copper line from your local hardware store will fail over time. Good luck. Jerry
Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
As mentioned above, the line you need is copper over steel. A copper line from your local hardware store will fail over time. Good luck. Jerry
Buy from LICS or Paragon. Zip and Corvette Central may also carry the correct one..............but you NEED steel line with copper corrosion outer jacket. Wilcox may be another source......call and inquire if interested.

And I REPEAT, the end fittings are special ones. Only get them and no other.

Larry

EDIT Paragon #1132K is part number for SB oil line and fittings. You may need another fitting depending on the final condition of the one on the gage. BB part number slightly different. Here is #1132k: https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...sure-line.aspx

Last edited by Powershift; 09-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 PM
RMBLROAR
Racer

Originally Posted by Powershift
Buy from LICS or Paragon. Zip and Corvette Central may also carry the correct one..............but you NEED steel line with copper corrosion outer jacket. Wilcox may be another source......call and inquire if interested.

And I REPEAT, the end fittings are special ones. Only get them and no other.

Larry

EDIT Paragon #1132K is part number for SB oil line and fittings. You may need another fitting depending on the final condition of the one on the gage. BB part number slightly different. Here is #1132k: https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...sure-line.aspx
Great info.... Thanks for your help. I'm going to order from Paragon Tuesday and get this project going again...... Always have good luck with Paragon.... Should have it out tomorrow morning....

Get notified of new replies

To c2 - 66 Cluster Help

Quick Reply: c2 - 66 Cluster Help