C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What kind of jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Wolf74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What kind of jack

Recently bought a '65 convertible with the small block. It doesn't have a spare tire or car jack. The tire is no problem but I have read some of the repro jacks are not recommended for lifting up the car. This is a driver so I am not really interested in an exact reproduction for show but just a safe jack that will lift the car to change the tire and not hurt the frame. Which jack should I get? Are the typical repros strong enough for the unexpected flat tire change? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Short answer is no. The reproduction jacks are made to look like originals more for looks than function. I bought a much better quality and much less expensive scissor jack at Walmart, I think it was a Torin brand. And it fits in the jack well behind the seat.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Don is exactly right regarding better jacks that can be easily bought for much less money than the reproductions. But, I have a different opinion of the reproduction jacks in that, I believe they are exact reproductions of the originals, and therefore exactly as effective as the original in lifting the car. The trouble with them is the same as that of the original which is, they are a spindly erector set like device with a too small base, and are prone to buckle and collapse if used on anything but very flat ground. And the car must be carefully blocked so as not to roll while up in the air. If used very carefully as owners manual describes and on flat ground, they will lift the car just fine. Maybe this is the long answer Don alluded to. My advice is get a Wallymart jack, and AAA roadside service so you never have to use any jack.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Wolf74
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys. Thats what I will do is pick up a more modern jack and store behind the seat. Am I correct in that I need to get one with more of a flat top than some come with? I have seen some of those scissors jacks with a top that looks like crimped metal with a slot that would fit on a seam.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

I've used this one without problems. I've also lifted the car on flat surface with the repro jack.

The one below fits nicely in the C1 spare or in the well of the mid-years.

DZ

Originally Posted by Wolf74
Thanks for the input guys. Thats what I will do is pick up a more modern jack and store behind the seat. Am I correct in that I need to get one with more of a flat top than some come with? I have seen some of those scissors jacks with a top that looks like crimped metal with a slot that would fit on a seam.

The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I have a small hydraulic bottle jack that I use. It works great and it compacts down when not in use. It doesn't look right but it's covered by the jack stowage tray in my '66.

Ray
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Wolf74
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestion. I think I know what I'm going to get.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Ask your self this. If your out driving the car in your nicer cloths and you get a flat are you going to be getting down to drop the spair tire, place a jack under the car and hope you can budge all five lug nuts and go about replacing the tire. Just get towing insurance have a cell phone and watch where you drive.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of jack

Quick Reply: What kind of jack