C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] How to lay down creased/folded carpeting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:09 AM
tfvesquire
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Default How to lay down creased/folded carpeting?

Hi All

I was able to purchase a set of brand new replacement carpeting for my 60 from a shop that apparently bought the carpet set for a customer and then it was never installed. It is "new" in the box, but since the pieces have been folded to fit inside the box and then it sat on the shelf for many years, the carpeting has folds and creases. Also, the rubber backing is starting to dry out a bit making the pieces less flexible than a newer set fresh off the assembly line.

My question is, besides laying the pieces outside in the sun for a few days, is there anything recommended to flatten the pieces before I install them? I was also planning on using contact cement on both the backing and floor to keep everything in place and hopefully smooth the pieces out the best I can.

If anyone on here knows of a solution to take out the creases and folds please let me know. I am planning on pulling everything this weekend and installing the set.

Thanks!!

Ted

BTW, the carpet set only cost me $55 shipped so I couldn't pass up this deal!!

Last edited by tfvesquire; 09-07-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i have had success with steaming it and getting creases and wrinkles out.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Bacci
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How to lay down creased/folded carpeting?

Mine was in the box for over 15 years. I laid it out flat and the creases slowly went away just like when you move a piece of furniture on your carpet at home. However, the backing had hardened and is crumbling.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

Steam it, lay it out in the sun, and put something heavy over the creases to hold them down. it will slowly relax.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,517 Likes on 3,000 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Steam is good.

My technique is to lay a very moist towel over the wrinkled area and then use an iron on the towel to create the steam. Works every time.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:55 PM
tfvesquire
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacci
Mine was in the box for over 15 years. I laid it out flat and the creases slowly went away just like when you move a piece of furniture on your carpet at home. However, the backing had hardened and is crumbling.
Thank you to all who posted. Now that this member brought this up, I noticed on the parts where the creases are, the rubber backing has cracked and started to harden. I don't have large pieces of the rubber breaking off yet, but I supposed it is to be expected that this will happen over time.

Is there some thing I can apply to the rubber to keep it flexible or is it past rejuvenating and I should just flatten out the folds I can, secure it with contact cement and call it a day?

My carpeting is the original set that I reinstalled after bought my car (I reassembled the entire vehicle that was in parts) and it has lasted me this long although sections under the gas pedal and along the center console/firewall have been deteriorating for years due to the heat.

Thanks,

Ted
Old 09-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by tfvesquire
Thank you to all who posted. Now that this member brought this up, I noticed on the parts where the creases are, the rubber backing has cracked and started to harden. I don't have large pieces of the rubber breaking off yet, but I supposed it is to be expected that this will happen over time.

Is there some thing I can apply to the rubber to keep it flexible or is it past rejuvenating and I should just flatten out the folds I can, secure it with contact cement and call it a day?

My carpeting is the original set that I reinstalled after bought my car (I reassembled the entire vehicle that was in parts) and it has lasted me this long although sections under the gas pedal and along the center console/firewall have been deteriorating for years due to the heat.

Thanks,

Ted
You should buy new decent carpeting that will not turn into a big mess....this is my '61 after somebody glued the carpet down and it deteriorated and it sounds like the pieces you have is already 3/4 of the way there.

New carpet requires NO glue...none IMO. Here's how you do it (attached PDF).
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-08-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to lay down creased/folded carpeting?

Quick Reply: [C1] How to lay down creased/folded carpeting?