C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] steering box removal, 67 BB.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default steering box removal, 67 BB.

I need to remove my manual steering box from my '67 BB for seal replacement. Is there enough room to slide the box forward off of the splined shafts without loosening the steering column or taking apart the rag joint? This is after I remove the 3 steering box mounting bolts to the frame and the pitman arm.

Thanks, Ralph

Last edited by rponfick; 09-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rponfick
I need to remove my manual steering box from my '67 BB for seal replacement. Is there enough room to slide the box forward off of the splined shafts without loosening the steering column or taking apart the rag joint? This is after I remove the 3 steering box mounting bolts to the frame and the pitman arm.

Thanks, Ralph
Disconnect the rag joint and lift it out, then mart it and take the rag joint off. Take the pitman arm off the box while it's in the car.

Last edited by prestige6; 09-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If your rag joint is riveted together as it was originally..then you will need to slide the steering column back.

Disconnect your steering link form the pitman arm... but leave the pitman arm ON the gear box until you get it off the car.. The using a special tool that is called a pitman arm puller...use it to press off the pitman arm. DO NOT use a pickle fork!!!

Obviously mark things so you know how to put them back together.

My pitman arm puller looks much like this design.

And becasue the design of the pitman arm puller...it is really hard if not impossible for me to use it successfully while the gearbox is installed on the frame...which is why I have replied in the manner I have replied.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-08-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To steering box removal, 67 BB.

Quick Reply: [C2] steering box removal, 67 BB.