C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Installing LED Parking/Turn Bulbs. 5 minute job..... Ya Right

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:47 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Installing LED Parking/Turn Bulbs. 5 minute job..... Ya Right

So, I got the two LED bulbs from SuperBrightleds.com and a LED flasher.
The first new LED unit wouldn't rotate into the socket. Inspected it and everything looks fine. So, I tried the other LED. It went in but was very tight. So, I thought maybe the other bulb would fit into the other side. Couldn't get it to turn and finally the base broke away from the bulb. So, I wasted $20.00. Now the turn signals won't work even with the new LED flasher. (because I had one LED and one regular) so now I go to take out the LED and reinstall the original bulb. But the LED won't come out. Finally get it out and notice that the regular bulb has a broken element. Now I have to go to the parts store and get a new bulb.
Isn't it amazing how a job that should take about 5 minutes turns into an Hour Plus on these old cars.
Sorry for the rant but Iust had to vent

Last edited by woodsdesign; 09-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 AM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Funny, I just experienced the same situation, fortunately I only paid $4 for a box of 10 on ebay, some won't turn, others won't seat properly & some that seem to fit, just don't function. Tossed them in the trash & put the original style back in.

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
So, I got the two LED bulbs from SuperBrightleds.com and a LED flasher.
The first new LED unit wouldn't rotate into the socket. Inspected it and everything looks fine. So, I tried the other LED. It went in but was very tight. So, I thought maybe the other bulb would fit into the other side. Couldn't get it to turn and finally the base broke away from the bulb. So, I wasted $20.00. Now the turn signals won't work even with the new LED flasher. (because I had one LED and one regular) so now I go to take out the LED and reinstall the original bulb. But the LED won't come out. Finally get it out and notice that the regular bulb has a broken element. Now I have to go to the parts store and get a new bulb.
Isn't it amazing how a job that should take about 5 minutes turns into an Hour Plus on these old cars.
Sorry for the rant but Iust had to vent
Old 09-10-2017, 02:14 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

My experience was similar but my problem wasn't the bulbs but one socket was corroded and kept the bulb from properly inserting. Once I cleaned and lubed it I had no further problems. I was changing to yellow LEDs and still have incandescent rear bulbs so didn't change flashers.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 PM
drdave69
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the LED housings front and rear. Took me a little longer because I also removed the back up lights for a four taillight look (brighter). This was an easier but more expensive option.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Here are the links to the LED bulbs that Sky65 is running in his awesome '65 Custom. The front bulbs even function as white DRL's - and - the standard orange turn signal bulb! I'll be installing these in my '66 within a few weeks!

Front DLR/turn
Amazon Amazon

Tail/turn/brake
Amazon Amazon

BU
Amazon Amazon

Turn Signal Relay
Amazon Amazon

Tom

Last edited by Tom Austin; 09-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing LED Parking/Turn Bulbs. 5 minute job..... Ya Right

Quick Reply: [C2] Installing LED Parking/Turn Bulbs. 5 minute job..... Ya Right