C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Brake Pad Wear

Old 05-28-2023, 07:40 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 355 Likes on 225 Posts

Default Rear Brake Pad Wear

Pulled pads from rear today. Unusual wear - thoughts? All pads are about the same, this one is the worst
Old 05-28-2023, 08:08 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

A few questions. What company manufactured the pads? How many miles on them? Can you post a picture of the thickness of the pad? How do the rotors look? How did they feel when braking? Any noise? Any caliper leaks? Jerry
Old 05-28-2023, 08:22 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It either looks like the rotor has a high spot in the middle of the surface or the pad was not machined flat.
Can check the rotor surface and pad for flatness?
Old 05-28-2023, 08:32 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Could be hard mettalic brake pads too. Were they noisy ?
Old 05-28-2023, 08:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

What is the run out on the rotors? We’re they checked / turned when the pads were installed?
Old 05-28-2023, 08:54 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 355 Likes on 225 Posts

Little history. This is a "new to me" car so I don't know when the pads were replaced but they do not have many miles on them as the car was not driven much. I've only put about 30 miles on the car since I got it a couple months ago. The brakes seem to work fine, no pulling or pulsing. I was chasing a squeak that was coming from the brakes. it was faint and would get a little louder then go away as brake pressure was applied.

The rotors are pretty glazed, but smooth and the same thickness across the braking surface as measured with a caliper.

The rotors are NOT secured with rivets to the hub and I have not checked the runout yet - I'll do that tomorrow.

One caliper has o-ring seals, the other has lip seals. I will be replacing both calipers. I may replace the rotors if I can't find someone local who can turn them - hard to find these days. The caliper with the lip seal was not sleeved and the pistons did not move very freely as I was disassembling it.

I checked the pads for flatness with a straight edge and there is a definite hump where the shiny spot is which actually looks like the pads picked up metal from the rotor. Interesting that the high spots on the pads are directly opposite the piston location - thought maybe pad having issues sliding, but they seem to move OK off the car.

I've worked on several of this type of braking system and most all are straight forward. Keep runout within spec, good system bleed and you are good to go, but I've never seen this wear pattern before........

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Brake Pad Wear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brake Pad Wear