C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Small Journal Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Small Journal Rebuild

Every once in a while we get the opportunity to help preserve a piece of history that we have all grown to love. Small Block Chevy's are were most of us engine builders have started our careers and when a 1967 Small Journal 327 is brought in, it is like going back to the beginning for us. Thankfully, we have the machine shop and talent to bring beautiful engine back from smoking to performing flawlessly. Just wanted to share a few pictures with you guys. Any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Last edited by GolenEngineService; 09-14-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Looks just like my 327 sbc small journal I picked up from the shop last week. Pretty.

But your thread may be taken as solicitation. Just sayin'
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Sweet! I always enjoy seeing engine build photos. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Very nice 327/300 hp engine. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Did you dyno the engine when done?
Did the engine require an overbore? Where did it start?
Did you add any other upgraded parts besides the timing chain?
What cam did you use in it?
Again thanks for posting the pictures, everyone loves to see pictures here, especially of such nice work.

GUSTO
Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default A good engine rebuild really makes a difference !

I had my original L-79 rebuilt in 2010 by Carl Hickson....local Maine builder. It was my 6 th rebuild.....230,000 shitty oil burning miles up to that point.

Only changing the pistons and cam....the engine came out better than new....380 lbs torque...

my point....these engines rebuilt properly can go on forever....I put additional 72,000 miles on it since 2010..

So....replace or rebuild....I say rebuild....

Jack

PS great rebuild.....Golden...
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 AM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Very nice 327/300 hp engine. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Did you dyno the engine when done?
Did the engine require an overbore? Where did it start?
Did you add any other upgraded parts besides the timing chain?
What cam did you use in it?
Again thanks for posting the pictures, everyone loves to see pictures here, especially of such nice work.

GUSTO
We will be putting this beauty on our Super Flow 902 engine dyno when we are completed with the build. We strongly recommend it, this allows us to make sure cam shaft break in is done properly and also to make sure the engine is ready to drop in your car with no worries of leaks. We went .030" over original bore, The cylinders are now straight and true. The pistons are of a better quality material and we went through the heads, performance three angle valve job and new components, valves, springs, retainers, modern day viton seals, and new locks. We upgraded the rocker system to a comp cams roller tip and hardened 5/16" pushrods. We also used a Comp Cams 12-238-2 cam.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I had my original L-79 rebuilt in 2010 by Carl Hickson....local Maine builder. It was my 6 th rebuild.....230,000 shitty oil burning miles up to that point.

Only changing the pistons and cam....the engine came out better than new....380 lbs torque...

my point....these engines rebuilt properly can go on forever....I put additional 72,000 miles on it since 2010..

So....replace or rebuild....I say rebuild....

Jack

PS great rebuild.....Golden...
Sounds like a great idea to me. A lot of guys in our area like to take the original 327 out and put in a 383, which we recently built a 480hp 383 for a 64 Vette. It is all on what you want to do and what your budget is. Thanks for the comment Jack.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by GolenEngineService
We will be putting this beauty on our Super Flow 902 engine dyno when we are completed with the build. We strongly recommend it, this allows us to make sure cam shaft break in is done properly and also to make sure the engine is ready to drop in your car with no worries of leaks. We went .030" over original bore, The cylinders are now straight and true. The pistons are of a better quality material and we went through the heads, performance three angle valve job and new components, valves, springs, retainers, modern day viton seals, and new locks. We upgraded the rocker system to a comp cams roller tip and hardened 5/16" pushrods. We also used a Comp Cams 12-238-2 cam.
I for one will be excited to hear how it does on the dyno.

The cam looks similar to the 327/350 cam. What valves are in the heads, 1.94's and 1.5's?

It's great to hear from another good rebuilder in New Hampshire. I know a lot of folks will be happy to know of another reliable rebuilder in the area.

Thanks again for becoming a supporting vendor.

GUSTO
Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default 327

Can you post a photo of stamp pad with the head on?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Boyan
Can you post a photo of stamp pad with the head on?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 PM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I for one will be excited to hear how it does on the dyno.

The cam looks similar to the 327/350 cam. What valves are in the heads, 1.94's and 1.5's?

It's great to hear from another good rebuilder in New Hampshire. I know a lot of folks will be happy to know of another reliable rebuilder in the area.

Thanks again for becoming a supporting vendor.

GUSTO
Yes, stock sized valves. Thank you for the kind words.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:06 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Looks just like my 327 sbc small journal I picked up from the shop last week. Pretty.

But your thread may be taken as solicitation. Just sayin'
It's not solicitation if your a supporting vendor...
The following users liked this post:
GolenEngineService (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Actually it is but it is allowed as they basically pay for the band width here.
The following users liked this post:
GolenEngineService (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:16 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Actually it is but it is allowed as they basically pay for the band width here.
Actually it isn't. He's showcasing his work. How is it different from someone showing off their wax job?

Now if he posted and said please contact us for rates and prices to rebuild your small block.

Oh and by the way, that is some nice work! I would entertain getting my 327 rebuilt but fear of them decking the pad.

Last edited by bluestreak63; 09-14-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add nice work
Old 09-14-2017, 05:58 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Beautiful looking engines.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I would add just a tip for members following this post, based on the fact we've been doing the 100% stock-appearing units for over 40 years now.

With today's technology we strongly recommend to ALL our own customers to go full roller (retro-hyd lifters with "real" roller rockers) and you'll never regret it. Chances are you'll never need to replace a "worn" cam/lifter any more.

They can be done with ALL the OEM components in play AND see a 30 HP (nominal) gain just from the roller setup. We also recently devised our own method of using the newer late stepped-nose cams in these early castings. No more cam buttons, simple thrust-plate and 2 screws, bolt the cam in place!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you do decide on the flat-tappet platform I would also recommend using ONLY the original "moly" lube for any cam break-in, forget anything the vendors are supplying with their cams.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM
0GolenEngineService
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
I would add just a tip for members following this post, based on the fact we've been doing the 100% stock-appearing units for over 40 years now.

With today's technology we strongly recommend to ALL our own customers to go full roller (retro-hyd lifters with "real" roller rockers) and you'll never regret it. Chances are you'll never need to replace a "worn" cam/lifter any more.

They can be done with ALL the OEM components in play AND see a 30 HP (nominal) gain just from the roller setup. We also recently devised our own method of using the newer late stepped-nose cams in these early castings. No more cam buttons, simple thrust-plate and 2 screws, bolt the cam in place!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you do decide on the flat-tappet platform I would also recommend using ONLY the original "moly" lube for any cam break-in, forget anything the vendors are supplying with their cams.
A lot of great tips here, and we couldn't agree more with the reliability aspect of a roller Cam. Being in the business for 40 years you definitely know that a lot of decisions made on Engine builds are determined by customer preference and more importantly budget.

As important as the Moly lube that we use on every flat tappet build, a good high performance oil with Zinc is essential to longevity of any classic muscle car camshaft. Driven Hot Rod oil by Joe Gibbs and Lucas Hot Rod and Classic car oil are great choices just to name a couple.

If you really want to do something different and turn you car in to a fire breathing tire slayer, we build many options for you.

Last edited by GolenEngineService; 09-15-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Small Journal Rebuild

Old 09-15-2017, 10:02 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

any paint on surfaces where hot oil is in contact would concern me.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:32 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
any paint on surfaces where hot oil is in contact would concern me.
My thinking as well unless it was something like Glyptol.

I always avoid getting rattle can engine paint inside the engine.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Glyptol enamel is a great sealer for lifter valley casting pores and helps oil drainage/return to pan also. But the newer thermal cleaning process using shot peening the block (after cooking) pretty much accomplishes the same thing w/o the extra effort. And many clean up that lifter valley with abrasive rolls before cleaning also. I guess what I'm saying is there is almost no end to block preparation if you want to do it all!
Epoxy in screens and magnets, poor in water jacket filler, plug and redrill coolant passages in the deck and weld in reinforcement metal where it can help then grind out metal where it doesn't to reduce weight. Rework the bottom of the bores as well as journal plates/risers (or whatever you call them).
What do the mountain motor builders do for more cubic inches? Are you ready to glue and screw on thicker deck plates??

Whew! I'm tired just talking about them.

Quick Reply: [C2] Small Journal Rebuild