C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

question on paint/finish on spare tire tub? with pictures!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM
razman
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default question on paint/finish on spare tire tub? with pictures!!

just finished repairing the spare tire tub for my car. basically had to rebuild the entire lip for the tub, as it was missing or broken. thus, i am probably gonna be forced to paint it since the new glass work doesn't match the original black Fiberglas. the lid portion is perfect, and i will just clear coat it to protect it.

does anyone have a suggestion for making the new fiberglas look close to the original??? thanks, Rick

Old 09-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The proper thing to have done would have been to dye the resen the blackish grayish of the tub. Now I'm not sure what you can do beside paint. Hopefully DUB will see this
Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Good job on your repair.
The following users liked this post:
razman (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:33 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Two choices I see. First, you could check with West Marine and get some resin dye in dark gray or black, and apply a very thin, brushed out coat of resin over the area and lightly sand with fine paper when cured, just enough to remove any nibs, heavy brush stokes, etc. Then apply a light coat of SEM semi-gloss clear over it. But it's still not going to match the lid finish where the white fiberglass strands are exposed in the surface.

Or just dust it as is with a couple very light coat of Krylon Industrial semi-gloss lacquer and be done with it. It might not pass NCRS standards but to most people it will look fine.

I agree - good job on the repair. It's tough repairing fiberglass to look like it's original state.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 09-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.
razman (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its a PITA. The front lip on my, original, one year only 63 tire tub was munged from @holes with floor jacks trying to find the differential mount to jack up the whole rear.

Not as an extensive repair as you have. I made it look OK (not perfect) with some mixed up white and gray paint as a base and then recreating some of the natural glass threads with an artists brush. You'll find that those threads are not really white - more of a bone or cream color. Regular white will look too glaring and artificial
Attached Images  
razman (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its a PITA. The front lip on my, original, one year only 63 tire tub was munged from @holes with floor jacks trying to find the differential mount to jack up the whole rear.

Not as an extensive repair as you have. I made it look OK (not perfect) with some mixed up white and gray paint as a base and then recreating some of the natural glass threads with an artists brush. You'll find that those threads are not really white - more of a bone or cream color. Regular white will look too glaring and artificial
That actually gives me a thought on repairing the hole in my floorpan in the inboard corner of the driver's side jack storage puka. I've been holding off, because I don't want it to show, but I want to try to leave the underbody fiberglass natural and unpainted.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Nice work Frankie - that must have been tedious. One of those labors of love obviously.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its one of those things where you have to be wise in when to stop screwing with it. Adding some 'random' light streaks to the tub can get you carried away and make it look artificial and contrived. You have to back off every few strokes, reappraise things, then decide to continue or stop.

Wasn't my favorite Corvette job, but I wanted to keep the original 63 tub...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-24-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:11 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbird
Good job on your repair.

Looks great! I have one that needs the lip repaired- what's your shipping address?

Rich
Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by razman
just finished repairing the spare tire tub for my car. basically had to rebuild the entire lip for the tub, as it was missing or broken. thus, i am probably gonna be forced to paint it since the new glass work doesn't match the original black Fiberglas. the lid portion is perfect, and i will just clear coat it to protect it.

does anyone have a suggestion for making the new fiberglas look close to the original??? thanks, Rick

I had to do the same repair on mine. I just dusted it with a little SEM Landau Black.

Get notified of new replies

To question on paint/finish on spare tire tub? with pictures!!

Quick Reply: question on paint/finish on spare tire tub? with pictures!!