C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coker vs. Diamond Back

Old 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Coker vs. Diamond Back

I bought my 60 completely restored three years ago. It had two year old Cokers that looked like they had zero miles on them. I've put 2,000 miles on the car and got really tired of the harsh ride, so I replaced them with Diamond Back 2s, which are Toyos.

Completely different ride. Smooth, quiet, and handles better (noticeably better, even though I don't push it around).

The Cokers looked good, but unless you have a trailer queen (not judging, just sayin), spring for the DBs.

BTW, DB was a pleasure to do business with, tires arrived early, nicely wrapped in clear plastic.

Last edited by 64luke; 09-22-2017 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JackTripper (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:39 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

X2 for Diamondback; I have the Michelin MX 205's with a 2.5" White wall. Their looks match their ride. 4 years running and no sign of yellowing.

Last edited by 61 Roadster; 09-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Diamondback gets overwhelming responses as superior, all year every year. I hate that since Coker is a local company and they do a lot to promote the hobby around here, but for driven cars it's true.

Probably a way to rationalize it is to give Coker credit for making tires for very and very obscure early cars- which often aren't driven and when they are don't reach high speeds or have performance demands as a big criteria.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Diamondback gets overwhelming responses as superior, all year every year. I hate that since Coker is a local company and they do a lot to promote the hobby around here, but for driven cars it's true.

Probably a way to rationalize it is to give Coker credit for making tires for very and very obscure early cars- which often aren't driven and when they are don't reach high speeds or have performance demands as a big criteria.
The difference in driving was night and day. The look equally good. If you don't drive the car...
Old 09-23-2017, 11:58 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Diamondback II's

Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 64luke
I bought my 60 completely restored three years ago. It had two year old Cokers that looked like they had zero miles on them. I've put 2,000 miles on the car and got really tired of the harsh ride, so I replaced them with Diamond Back 2s, which are Toyos.

Completely different ride. Smooth, quiet, and handles better (noticeably better, even though I don't push it around).

The Cokers looked good, but unless you have a trailer queen (not judging, just sayin), spring for the DBs.

BTW, DB was a pleasure to do business with, tires arrived early, nicely wrapped in clear plastic.
Yes, BUT you are comparing apples to oranges. Bias belted non radial 50 year old tire technology to modern day radial tire technology. I have custom made wide white wall Cooper radials on my 57 and they are a world apart from what I replaced as in the old bias belted BF Goodrich repo tires.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:27 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Yes, BUT you are comparing apples to oranges. Bias belted non radial 50 year old tire technology to modern day radial tire technology. I have custom made wide white wall Cooper radials on my 57 and they are a world apart from what I replaced as in the old bias belted BF Goodrich repo tires.
You can only compare appearance. There is no comparison when it comes to performance.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

diamondback coker junk imo, i value safety over looks anyday
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

We only use Coker's for rollers in the shop, the only thing they are safe for using.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM
tfvesquire
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
We only use Coker's for rollers in the shop, the only thing they are safe for using.
Ok, I replaced my original bias ply tires for Coker Classics years ago and that is the only replacement tires I have ever run on my '60. Over the 27 years I've owned my car I've never had a problem with these tires and the ride difference is like they say above, night and day difference from the ones that came on the car orginally.

To say Cokers are not safe without posting some supporting evidence is not doing a company justification for their endless commitment to helping keep numerous classics on the road. Are you saying that all those people out there who purchased Coker replacements are driving on unsafe tires? That sound like libel to me. I read the company actually purchased many of the old tire molds so that purists could get the tires they needed to restore their classic. Not sure if Diamond Back has done any of that.

All I can state is based on my own experience. I have put thousands of miles on several sets of Coker tires and have never had any issues. I am probably due for another replacement set, but only due to age, not tread runout, etc. Last year when I traveled across country in all sorts of driving conditions, including hours thru the scorching desert, those tires got me there and back without stranding me on the side of the road. The tires I currently have maintain plenty of tread depth, but many would recommend replacement due to the age of the rubber material.

I am sold on Cokers and would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

Ted
Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 AM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I replaced my Cokers because the ride was harsh. In the three years I drove them, they were perfectly reliable.

The Cokers were certainly pretty, so are the DBs. But the Diamondbacks ride 1000% better, smoother and less noisy.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I sold my 65 with 13 year old Coker redlines on it. Never had any issue of any kind. Replaced wide white bias tires on my 60 a year ago with Coker radial wide whites, again no problems. Based on a lot of opinions here, I spoke with Diamondback about replacing the 1965 tires with Michelin based tires, but they no longer could get 205-75-15 from Michelin. Then last year decided to replace the 1960 tires, called Diamondback about the 205-75-15 Toyo based tires and they told me there was a 3 week minimum back order. Called Coker, received tires at Discount Tire the next day.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM
60n1st
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

What about tires for a 67? Are the Cokers really junk? Is the redline available in a different brand?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
diamondback coker junk imo, i value safety over looks anyday
????? Diamondback or Coker? Diamondback is a normal tire with the makings taken off. So, whats your point here?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by tfvesquire
Ok, I replaced my original bias ply tires for Coker Classics years ago and that is the only replacement tires I have ever run on my '60. Over the 27 years I've owned my car I've never had a problem with these tires and the ride difference is like they say above, night and day difference from the ones that came on the car orginally.

To say Cokers are not safe without posting some supporting evidence is not doing a company justification for their endless commitment to helping keep numerous classics on the road. Are you saying that all those people out there who purchased Coker replacements are driving on unsafe tires? That sound like libel to me. I read the company actually purchased many of the old tire molds so that purists could get the tires they needed to restore their classic. Not sure if Diamond Back has done any of that.

All I can state is based on my own experience. I have put thousands of miles on several sets of Coker tires and have never had any issues. I am probably due for another replacement set, but only due to age, not tread runout, etc. Last year when I traveled across country in all sorts of driving conditions, including hours thru the scorching desert, those tires got me there and back without stranding me on the side of the road. The tires I currently have maintain plenty of tread depth, but many would recommend replacement due to the age of the rubber material.

I am sold on Cokers and would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

Ted
As a retired LEO and driving instructor, I would suggest you try a high speed lane change maneuver and post your findings.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:09 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought a set of Cokers for an old Jag, so out of round they couldn't be balanced. I'll never buy from them again.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've had both - whitewalls DBs on the '61 and Coker redlines on the '67 Chevelle and I don't baby my cars. Both handled well and were NOT dangerous IMO. I just didn't like the Coker's "look"...there were scalloped places in the exterior sidewalls that just looked weird to me. Hard to capture in pictures though.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-26-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coker vs. Diamond Back

Old 09-26-2017, 08:34 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

They fill a niche that benefits a wide range of car enthusiasts and particularly for 50s era and pre-war vehicles. Diamondback is a better option for our cars but Coker doesn't deserve some of the more damming comments that are made about them. I have a set of Coker redline radials on a GTX that are about 15 years old. They don't ride well but look good, haven't given me any problems and I'll probably get rid of them for something from Diamondback one of these days - in part because Diamond appears to actually be slightly less expensive.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 09-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Here's a different question... I much prefer Diamond Back and have had several sets, and would choose them again for the classic applications, like the vintage wide whites like I put on my '58 or the red lines I put on my '69.

But what about applications such as a simple white wall radial for my '63? I don't think it's necessary to go through a classic repro tire company to buy tires like this, is it? Would it be true to say buying nice, premium radials with a white wall similar to stock is a better choice? In quality and price?

Anyone consider this?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
C.T.
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

I am looking now at the alternatives, but I've had a set of Coker radials on my 57 for 18 years - no problems whatever, no cracks anywhere, and whitewalls white as snow. They don't get a lot of miles, but they've been perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coker vs. Diamond Back