C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pouring White Smoke and ROUGH idle before dying... any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:55 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
On the slight chance you're running an automatic, I have had the modulator rupture before drawing trans fluid into the engine. Can't remember if the smoke was white though.
I had this happen on a 1963 Pontiac ages ago. All I recall was that the engine abruptly started running poorly and the transmission started acting up at about the same time.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:36 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywoodheroes

Edlebrock and Electric Choke is way too much for something that only gives me issues.

Jordan
I thought you had the WCFB on the engine? NO?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Thanks Frankie!

Yes, I agree... some key things that really angered me about this guy:

1. Having young kids working on the car. 22 and 24 yr olds were replacing my carb and I dont think they really knew what they were doing.

2. Asking him what was done to the car, and having his response as "dont worry about it. I changed some things.. it runs great."

3. Telling me to "let the car warm up" after installing an electric choke. ( This was after it idled for 10 mins in his parking lot.. and still sputtered and coughed all the way home.)

4. Not using a key to start the car. He would pull it around from behind his shop.. and my key would be resting on the passenger seat.

5. Installed my clock ring when it fell off.. and GLUED it back on the leather. AAARRGHHHHH!
People like that gall me no end. They fleece car owner's and treat them like they're idiots. Met more than a few of those types in my time.

The new carb looks good, I just hope this mechanic didn't cost you a head gasket (or worse)...
The following users liked this post:
Hollywoodheroes (09-24-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Will check.. thanks.

Either way, when i get this all sorted... Im going back to the guy and telling him I want my money back. $550 for an Edlebrock and Electric Choke is way too much for something that only gives me issues.

Jordan
This.

And do not let this idiot work on your car again. He's clueless.
Hollywoodheroes (09-24-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I would follow Mikes advice and find your problem.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Hollywoodheroes
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I thought you had the WCFB on the engine? NO?
Hey Mike..

I let the jackass talk me into an Edlebrock and electric choke...

Actually to be more specific.. I didnt call for a couple of days and when I got there, he had already stuck them on my car!

I really hate myself for letting it get this bad.. but I swear, never again!

Jordan
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Hey Mike..

I let the jackass talk me into an Edlebrock and electric choke...

Actually to be more specific.. I didnt call for a couple of days and when I got there, he had already stuck them on my car!

I really hate myself for letting it get this bad.. but I swear, never again!

Jordan
When your car is acting up, pull the air cleaner lid and see if the choke is open.

The Edelbrock carb takes a different intake manifold than the WCFB. How did he manage around that?

Last edited by MikeM; 09-24-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I had a new out of box Edelbrock carb once that had something stuck in the inlet seat keeping it open. Flooded the engine and was enough gas in the cylinder to pop the head gasket.

Doug
Hollywoodheroes (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I suspect that the guy who changed the carb also changed the intake manifold, and it's sucking coolant through the intake due to a bad install. The intake has to be pulled off to remove the heads, anyway, if that's not it.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I suspect that the guy who changed the carb also changed the intake manifold, and it's sucking coolant through the intake due to a bad install. The intake has to be pulled off to remove the heads, anyway, if that's not it.
That is where I was going but was waiting to hear a reply from the OP.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Might well be the case
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

I think you nailed it.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Hollywoodheroes
Instructor

That is where I was going but was waiting to hear a reply from the OP.

Will let you know as soon as I get the car in... I am swamped with the New York Comic Con next week, which is what I do for a living. Probably get the car in second week of Oct.

Until then, Im not going to screw with it anymore. I tried to start it today.. and white smoke filled the entire garage. It sputtered hard for like one second and died.

I'm just going to leave it and take it into my new guy have the new carb stuck on... and find out whats going on.

Also, going to have him stick on a new fuel pump.. since I read in the tech manual they did an upgrade on early 64s with air.. like mine.

Will keep you all updated !

Jordan
Old 09-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Hollywoodheroes
Instructor

I truly hope thats all it is.

As I mentioned earlier.. this guy had two young kids working on classic cars while he sat in his office and chain smoked.

What really kills me is that as I was taking my car back... a guy came in with a 63 silver convertible.. asking him to install an entirely new interior and top.

I shutter to think what he is going to do to that car.

Jordan
Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,516 Likes on 799 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did you check the mileage when you dropped it off? Twenty year olds working on it!! Sounds like they ran the **** out of it on there test ride. check the back quarters for rubber
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Hollywoodheroes
Instructor

Originally Posted by reno stallion
Did you check the mileage when you dropped it off? Twenty year olds working on it!! Sounds like they ran the **** out of it on there test ride. check the back quarters for rubber

Yeah I did...

I did notice he filled the tank up a bit, saying he took it out for a test run.

I dont mind people driving my cars.. I think its the only way they can truly figure out whats wrong with them. But... I DO MIND getting them back broken.

I used to a vintage Mercedes 280sl, fully restored. Got it back from the mechanic one time to find cigarette butts in the ashtray ( which was never used and new)...

I asked him about it.. and he said he was test driving the car and had a smoke.

I flipped my **** on him...

J
Old 09-25-2017, 09:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

I truly hope thats all it is.

Jordan
I mentioned many posts back that the intake manifold could have a crack in it. It could be cracked between the front water passage and an intake runner and sucking coolant. That's why I asked if your guy changed the manifold which he would have had to do unless he used some kind of adaptor. This could explain the white smoke that you didn't have before the carb swap. This is also why I suggested you check the spark plug appearance.

I've seen manifolds leak coolant out the top and out the front. Never seen one leak into the intake passage due to poor installation. Never seen changing a carb cause an engine to blow a head gasket and never seen a blown head gasket cause an engine to stall either but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

I wouldn't replace the fuel pump "just because". Many posts here claim some replacements are not reliable. If your old one is working, I'd keep it.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-25-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pouring White Smoke and ROUGH idle before dying... any thoughts

Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Hollywoodheroes
Instructor

I mentioned many posts back that the intake manifold could have a crack in it. It could be cracked between the front water passage and an intake runner and sucking coolant. That's why I asked if your guy changed the manifold which he would have had to do unless he used some kind of adaptor. This could explain the white smoke that you didn't have before the carb swap. This is also why I suggested you check the spark plug appearance.

I've seen manifolds leak coolant out the top and out the front. Never seen one leak into the intake passage due to poor installation. Never seen changing a carb cause an engine to blow a head gasket and never seen a blown head gasket cause an engine to stall either but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

I wouldn't replace the fuel pump "just because". Many posts here claim some replacements are not reliable. If your old one is working, I'd keep it.

To be honest.. the white smoke appeared really just this weekend. It was after I left the car sit after not driving it for two weeks. Between the white smoke and the oil leak under car... something went wrong.

I climbed under the car and car see oil dripping from the bottom of the engine.. so I am wondering it its dripping from higher up, and then trickling down.

J
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 442 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Pull the carb of and find out what they did. That should only take about 10 minutes to do. I bet the gasket is all messed up. At least it will show you if you have a problem.

Find another shop if you do not want to work on it or cannot do the work. Talk to some of the local clubs and find out who can do the work right. Are you sure its white smoke? Could be oil hitting the exhaust pipes burning off.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 09-25-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimh_1962

Could be oil hitting the exhaust pipes burning off.
Very good possibility. Especially if they changed the manifold. Wonder why he won't tell us if they did?

That could also explain the oil drip.

Quick Reply: Pouring White Smoke and ROUGH idle before dying... any thoughts