C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

54 corvette dash rail cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:24 PM
old 54
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 54 corvette dash rail cover

Anybody have any tips or experience gluing down a vinyl dash rail cover on a 54 corvette?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:06 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by old 54
Anybody have any tips or experience gluing down a vinyl dash rail cover on a 54 corvette?
Ship the rail to Al Knoch. Let them install it.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree 100%. That is the best way to get it done right and with the least amount of frustration. The cost plus shipping is well worth it, and you can get lots of other stuff done with all of the time you will save yourself.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:24 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

I did mine on my '57 last year. Not rocket science, but it is a little tricky. First make sure the material is warm by setting it in the sun for a while, or carefully using a heat gun. I found that the contact glue I used that was supplied was a little thick and would ball up a little if you re-positioned the material. That would show through as little bumps, so I'd have to peel it back again and take some solvent to it to get rid of them and glue it again. If I were to do another one I would try using the 3M spray adhesive on the face of it, and use the contact cement on the backside to glue the excess. You mark the material and dash rail centers, and work from there out, but the ends were a battle to get slipped over, and I used the heat gun carefully there. I am happy enough with the way mine turned out, although I have a couple of minor sins. I have seen far worse ones on restored cars in pics online.
I guess it depends if you have the time and want to try it. I debated, as the cost is not that much, but I wanted to give it a go, as I am a glutton for punishment.

Rich
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Used 3M spray glue on my 54 and it is still on there nice and tight and no bubbles or signs of it coming loose.

Get notified of new replies

To 54 corvette dash rail cover

Quick Reply: 54 corvette dash rail cover