C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I talked to Art Carr today about a 2004R automatic overdrive for my '67...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Mr Fufu
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Art Carr told me $700 to swap a powerglide for a 2004R in my 1967 a few weeks ago when I went to his shop.
Hey Randy,

Did Art's quote include modifying your stock shifter to work with the 2004R? It can be done, but you'll need to buy a shifter conversion kit from Shiftworks ($97.25).

The other option is for you to buy a complete shifter assembly from Shiftworks for $285 to replace your stock Powerglide shifter assembly.

http://www.shiftworks.com/corvette-65-67.htm

The two options (the complete shifter, and the conversion kit) are both shown on the web page above. Also, watch the video that's posted on this page which shows the complete replacement shifter installed in a '67 convertible, which was originally a 4-speed car. Take note of the fiddling (i.e. time) needed to install and configure the new shifter.

I shied away from replacing my PG shifter because of 1) cost , 2) this would involve more labor to remove the old shifter and replace it with the new one, and 3) the replacement shifter is not a direct bolt-in; one needs to need to modify brackets, drill holes, grind out part of the tunnel, etc.. Lastly, I had a perfectly good working shifter in my '67 already, so figured why not re-use it?

If Art is installing your 2004R then you should ask him how he would deal with adapting the PG shifter for use with your new 4-speed 2004R. The stock PG shifter will not work as-is, as the shift quadrant for a 2 vs 4 speed auto is different. One may be able to mickey the PG shifter to work, but you wouldn't be able to manually select all the gears and your neutral safety switch isn't going to work as it should either.

Things to keep in mind...
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fufu
Hey Randy,

Did Art's quote include modifying your stock shifter to work with the 2004R? It can be done, but you'll need to buy a shifter conversion kit from Shiftworks ($97.25).

The other option is for you to buy a complete shifter assembly from Shiftworks for $285 to replace your stock Powerglide shifter assembly.

http://www.shiftworks.com/corvette-65-67.htm

The two options (the complete shifter, and the conversion kit) are both shown on the web page above. Also, watch the video that's posted on this page which shows the complete replacement shifter installed in a '67 convertible, which was originally a 4-speed car. Take note of the fiddling (i.e. time) needed to install and configure the new shifter.

I shied away from replacing my PG shifter because of 1) cost , 2) this would involve more labor to remove the old shifter and replace it with the new one, and 3) the replacement shifter is not a direct bolt-in; one needs to need to modify brackets, drill holes, grind out part of the tunnel, etc.. Lastly, I had a perfectly good working shifter in my '67 already, so figured why not re-use it?

If Art is installing your 2004R then you should ask him how he would deal with adapting the PG shifter for use with your new 4-speed 2004R. The stock PG shifter will not work as-is, as the shift quadrant for a 2 vs 4 speed auto is different. One may be able to mickey the PG shifter to work, but you wouldn't be able to manually select all the gears and your neutral safety switch isn't going to work as it should either.

Things to keep in mind...
Quote was labor only. Parts extra.

In used a shiftworks kit to adapt the original shifter to fit a 700R4 in my 1962. And while getting the shifter adjusted correctly took a lot of time I didn't drill one hole or grind on anything to make it work.

Quick Reply: I talked to Art Carr today about a 2004R automatic overdrive for my '67...