C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lets talk about reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:14 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
What is the source of your data?
I think used car auctions are a pretty good source of data for this stuff. IMHO.
This data is based on used cars for sale online.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...winner-is.html
Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
This data is based on used cars for sale online.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...winner-is.html
thats thers yer problem... Never trust the imperial english with data.
The following users liked this post:
biggd (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

What is the source of your data? Seems to be Trucks and SUVs only? Only non-trucks are "Honda Accord" and "Toyota Avalon", which I find pretty bizarre. Camry and Civic top almost every reliability list I have ever seen.

"Talking to people" leaves way too much to chance.. I did talk to a AAA tow truck driver a few years ago, and he said "I've never towed a Lexus".. but again, just heresay/opinion..

It's NOT like taking advise on raising your kids.. It's data. You can argue the context of it, but it's not opinion.

I think used car auctions are a pretty good source of data for this stuff. IMHO.
"it's data", I/m trying to convey that you should never trust the data. Unlike some of the cars we are discussing, it's unreliable. Reliability and the number of models still on the road are two completely different things. Just because there are more Ford trucks on the road doesn't mean they are more reliable than Chevy trucks. Sales numbers don't always equate to reliability.

Last edited by biggd; 10-19-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by biggd
"it's data", I/m trying to convey that you should never trust the data. Unlike some of the cars we are discussing, it's unreliable. Reliability and the number of models still on the road are two completely different things. Just because there are more Ford trucks on the road doesn't mean they are more reliable than Chevy trucks. Sales numbers don't always equate to reliability.
This is all true, just like there have been more Toyotas sold in the last decade than any other car.

The bottom line is, everything made today is far more reliable, robust and longer lasting than anything built in the '60's.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by biggd
"it's data", I/m trying to convey that you should never trust the data.
Maybe it's just nomenclature.... but data isn't "trusted" or "not trusted". It's just data. You can debate the method used to collect or analyze it..... but data is data..

I agree that stats of used cars for sale with > 180K miles isn't a perfect metric for measuring "reliability".. I'm just saying I think it's a good one... and it's better than "word of mouth" stats.

I used to work in the satellite communications business. Reliability has an exact definition there. It's basically the time something is working divided by total time. .99999 (5 nines) is not uncommon there, which is about 5 minutes downtime per year!

Last edited by SDVette; 10-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

No more audi's for me!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Shultzie
My brother was talking to an engineer that worked at Ford and it's my understanding that today's cars are designed to only last so long or so many miles. Usually about 10 years. I mean come on, if they built 'em like they used to, we wouldn't need to buy a new car every 10-15 years.
The auto industry has been accused of “designed obsolescence” for years. Heard it first in the 60s. MTBF is the classic measure of reliability. (Mean Time Between Faiures)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Yes and there are formulas for converting between MTBF and "uptime"..
Problem is, in a car, a turn signal indicator burning out is a "failure", but does not affect "uptime" (you can still drive it)

Last edited by SDVette; 10-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Some cars don't have enough residual value to make it feasible to repair them so they go to the scrap heap. Even if that's the first and only problem they've had in their entire life.
The following users liked this post:
biggd (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Some cars don't have enough residual value to make it feasible to repair them so they go to the scrap heap. Even if that's the first and only problem they've had in their entire life.
That's true.. I had an in-law who owned a Jeep dealership. Most (80%) cars they took in on trade went direct "to auction" - they did not even try to turn them around and re-sell them. They only had to be confident in what they would get at auction was more than they were offering the customer for his trade-in.

He got me in to one of these auctions.. they aren't open to the public. Saw everything from 1 year old Jags to 15 year old clunkers. The sale prices were substantially lower than KBB or the open market. These are mostly cars people have decided to trade in - for one reason or another.

Just my opinion, but I think that is what makes this stat useful.

Last edited by SDVette; 10-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

That's true.. I had an in-law who owned a Jeep dealership. Most (80%) cars they took in on trade went direct "to auction" - they did not even try to turn them around and re-sell them. They only had to be confident in what they would get at auction was more than they were offering the customer for his trade-in.

He got me in to one of these auctions.. they aren't open to the public. Saw everything from 1 year old Jags to 15 year old clunkers. The sale prices were substantially lower than KBB or the open market. These are mostly cars people have decided to trade in - for one reason or another.

Just my opinion, but I think that is what makes this stat useful.
I bet some of these were sold off as parts cars too... It runs but has a blown head gasket, damaged front/rear end collision. We all have seen the cars/trucks where you think "Is that legal to drive?".
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Yes, and some go to Mexico or overseas.. and some to scrap... it's a mixed bag..

Funny aside: My wife is shopping for a new car.. she's driving a 2007 Audi A6.. A great car, looks and drives VERY nicely.. It has a few minor problems (windshield washer motor, etc.) [I looked at fixing it - but you have to take the entire front of of the car off to get to it!!]. It's also throwing a code - something about sensors not agreeing... I'm sure it would cost $5K to fix these problems at the dealer.

It's only got 80K miles. She's had several dealers tell her they won't take it in trade! In looking at the market, it's probably only worth about $3-4K.. Yikes! It's a premium luxury car - a $60K car 10 years ago!

Another "no Audi!" vote from me!

Last edited by SDVette; 10-20-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Yes, and some go to Mexico or overseas.. and some to scrap... it's a mixed bag..

Funny aside: My wife is shopping for a new car.. she's driving a 2007 Audi A6.. A great car, looks and drives VERY nicely.. It has a few minor problems (windshield washer motor, etc.) [I looked at fixing it - but you have to take the entire front of of the car off to get to it!!]. It's also throwing a code - something about sensors not agreeing... I'm sure it would cost $5K to fix these problems at the dealer.

It's only got 80K miles. She's had several dealers tell her they won't take it in trade! In looking at the market, it's probably only worth about $3-4K.. Yikes! It's a premium luxury car - a $60K car 10 years ago!

Another "no Audi!" vote from me!
probably the waste gate low boost. Thats another item. My son and I spent 9 hours in august replacing the turbo since the waste gate actuator was loose. The only way to fix it is to replace the turbo. 300.00 later and 10 hours problem fixed but then this happened. Waste of time. I thought heck if thats all that happened the next year then good car. Boy was I wrong.

Still the corvette drives whenever I want to take out on the road.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

This is all true, just like there have been more Toyotas sold in the last decade than any other car.

The bottom line is, everything made today is far more reliable, robust and longer lasting than anything built in the '60's.
I find this most evident after driving a selection of my relics, say the 56 Cadillac, 62 Bonneville and then maybe the 63 Impala and immediately following that, a Chinese food run in my '17 Lexus LS. The improvements are staggering; but probably no differently than was the automotive progress between 1915 and 1965.

Dan
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
probably the waste gate low boost. Thats another item. My son and I spent 9 hours in august replacing the turbo since the waste gate actuator was loose. The only way to fix it is to replace the turbo. 300.00 later and 10 hours problem fixed but then this happened. Waste of time. I thought heck if thats all that happened the next year then good car. Boy was I wrong.

Still the corvette drives whenever I want to take out on the road.
Hers is non-turbo.. The code is P0068:

P0068 means that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected an excessive degree of variation in the input voltage signal from the throttle position sensor (TPS) as compared with voltage input signals from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor and the manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor. The PCM reads and calculates these individual engine drivability sensor signals and then compares them to help develop fuel delivery and ignition timing strategy. The PCM also utilizes this information to ensure that the fuel-to-air ratio remains constant, controllable, and within acceptable limitations. If the detected voltage values of these three sensors (triangulated) fail to coincide with programmed desired parameters, over a specific period of time or engine revolutions, a diagnostic trouble code will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp will likely be illuminated

Gaaa! A carburetor sounds pretty good after that!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Hers is non-turbo.. The code is P0068:

P0068 means that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected an excessive degree of variation in the input voltage signal from the throttle position sensor (TPS) as compared with voltage input signals from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor and the manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor. The PCM reads and calculates these individual engine drivability sensor signals and then compares them to help develop fuel delivery and ignition timing strategy. The PCM also utilizes this information to ensure that the fuel-to-air ratio remains constant, controllable, and within acceptable limitations. If the detected voltage values of these three sensors (triangulated) fail to coincide with programmed desired parameters, over a specific period of time or engine revolutions, a diagnostic trouble code will be stored and a malfunction indicator lamp will likely be illuminated

Gaaa! A carburetor sounds pretty good after that!
you may find those three sensors (one at a time) are not difficult or terribly costly to replace (versus being scalped at a dealer). Give it a whirl!

Audi/VW make some terrific race cars and some enticing roads cars but reliability is a concern. They seem to feed the service dept worse than some others.

Although not flawless in their history I have excellent results with BMW.

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 10-20-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about reliability