C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I am finally retiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

As 59BlueSlive said: I paid everything off while I had the high income. I was able to pickup my used 34' RV and two of my toys with cash. Now with zero debt I can make my plans based on a fixed monthly income.

Another issue I was concerned about was Medicare and how to pay the other 20%. Instead, since I'm a veteran and I suspect most of your are, I signed up with the VA. Here in Oregon they do a great job. I'm still seeing my regular Doctor and pay nothing.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Having known Joe for many years he has surely earned his retirement. You will not meet a more upstanding and genuine man than he. I'm fortunate to have met him and proud to call him a friend. Congratulations Joe! I'm sure you'll make the most of everyday. Oh PS if you think you may get board I can think of a certain '66 project to keep you busy, very busy for that matter.
Thanks Jack, now I have to go and get a tissue to wipe my eyes!
I don't think the 66 is in my future right now.

Originally Posted by corvetteed
I do have the discipline to live beneath my means, and saved up a ton before retiring. I followed the professional financial advisor's advice to take the annual pension rather than the lump sum. Others who took that lump sum, now after about 10 years, are experie
I have been working on my retirement since 1974 when I started my first business.
I also have a professional adviser and live within my means, still live in the same house, not a McMansion, for 45 years and saved for my retirement. I also own the building I am in now and a building where my son has his brewery. So with my investments and some rent I will be OK.

Originally Posted by daz_au
That's the coolest looking parts store ever, I wish there was one like that in my town !
Many customers call my store and I a dinosaur.
This is my last week and people came in all day to say goodbye and that the store will be missed and what are they going to get there old car parts now.
I am sad in a way as I have made a lot of good friends but I just can not do it anymore.
On Saturdays anywhere from three to six of my friends would come in and have coffee and shoot the breeze. Now I will have to do it in my garage.
One of my friends wife offered to buy the coffee and donuts just to get him out of the house.

Thanks for all the kind comments and advice.
Saturday is my last day and next Thursday I will be on a cruise ship.
Joe
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Late to your retirement party here Plaidside. All the best to you as you turn the page for a new chapter in your life. As i'm sure others have said, every day is a Saturday
Enjoy your cruise just doing nothing (that WILL be tough [smile]).

My Dad (God rest his soul) once told me a man needs a vice or a hobby. One man's vice, is another man's hobby. You DO need a reason to put your feet on the floor.

Been retired 11 years now and have never looked back.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
The following users liked this post:
plaidside (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:20 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
Many customers call my store and I a dinosaur.
Joe
We have a local store and owner just like that. Thats where I get most my parts. I prefer an old guy with a row of catalogs on the counter over a pimply faced kid with a computer. Again, congrats. on your retirement. You will be missed by us fellow dinosaurs.
plaidside (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
We have a local store and owner just like that. Thats where I get most my parts. I prefer an old guy with a row of catalogs on the counter over a pimply faced kid with a computer. Again, congrats. on your retirement. You will be missed by us fellow dinosaurs.
Ain't that the truth!! I went to local NAPA yesterday for a front crank seal and the kid couldn't find it on his computer, kept trying to sell me a rear main seal. I asked for one of the older guys and he had it in half a minute.

Congratulations Joe on your retirement. Now maybe you can drive one of those great looking Vettes cross country out West.

plaidside (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Reminds me of our local Pep Boys.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Reminds me of our local Pep Boys.
We have an AutoZone that opened up recently.
Some of my customers go there on Sunday, since I am closed.
One guy said it asked for 4' of heater hose and they wanted to know what kind of car he had. Another customer, old like us, went on Sunday for cotter pins, when he asked the young counter person for them he said "what are they?", so he walked out and came to me on Monday.
Joe
Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidside
We have an AutoZone that opened up recently.
Some of my customers go there on Sunday, since I am closed.
One guy said it asked for 4' of heater hose and they wanted to know what kind of car he had. Another customer, old like us, went on Sunday for cotter pins, when he asked the young counter person for them he said "what are they?", so he walked out and came to me on Monday.
Joe
I retired 13 months ago from outside sales for a small auto parts chain that when I started with them they has 22 stores today 2 stores and a healthy internet network. The on demand auto parts biz has become a mess in my opinion. You did the right thing. Enjoy
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Joe, just to share a laugh and why you will be missed so much.
Last weekend I went into one of the local parts chain stores.
I told the counter guy I need a Gates 5070865 or a Dayco 5070866.

He answers, what year is your car. This chain stocks Gates belts.
I had to tell him that and ask him to check his inventory.

Then he comes back and tells me he has it in Bando and can save me money.
I wanted to reach out an slap his head.
Now I tell him I prefer Gates quality over Bando and he again says the Bando is $17 and the Gates is $36.
As an owner you would have trained him far better than that. In a chain store he will probably be promoted and still not know how to serve a customer.
Enjoy the cruise and I look forward to your next Vette Project.
(you sold to Napa, they usually have or try to maintain the old school parts guy so your store should be fine)
One of my best Old Parts guy memories was when fixing my boat trailer brakes. I went to work out of town and took my brake shoe with me that I needed to match up to fix the boat trailer. I stopped at 5 or 6 stores while I traveled. Every stop told me they had no clue what shoe my trailer needed, I did this because I had to leave early but wanted to fix the trailer after work that night. I got back in town early enough to stop at the old parts store in town. Guy named Harvey owned the place, I walked in and laid my old shoe on the counter and Harvey turned around and walked off without even saying Hello.
I thought he was being a little rude. About 30 seconds later he came back in carrying a box and set it on the counter and asked if I wanted anything else. Now I am amazed, I open the box and look inside, perfect match. I say how did you do that. Harvey looks at me and says that is just an old Ford shoe, like it was no big deal for anyone.
It was a big deal to a guy that had already stopped at 5 other places. That is the kind of service that gains customers for life. Harvey retired also unfortunately.
The industry will really miss guys like you and Harvey!
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 PM
EMD645F3B
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your retirement Joe. BTW, I'm driving the wheels off that bad baby and loving every minute of it.

Quick Reply: I am finally retiring