C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Delco-Remy Distributor Manual- Picture of Bottom Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Gary D. Jaynes
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Delco-Remy Distributor Manual- Picture of Bottom Gear

Does anyone have a Delco-Remy Distributor Manual that they could scan the picture or pictures of the bottom gear. Trying to prove a point that the dimple on the gear aligns with the pointer on the rotor. As the ole saying goes, "A Picture Is Worth A 1000 Words."
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary D. Jaynes
Does anyone have a Delco-Remy Distributor Manual that they could scan the picture or pictures of the bottom gear. Trying to prove a point that the dimple on the gear aligns with the pointer on the rotor. As the ole saying goes, "A Picture Is Worth A 1000 Words."
Thanks!
There are quite a few discussions here that agree with what you stated. Also, there are several pictures that show it.

By the way, the dimple doesn't ALWAYS align whth the rotor tip. I does 98% of the time though.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
There are quite a few discussions here that agree with what you stated. Also, there are several pictures that show it.

By the way, the dimple doesn't ALWAYS align whth the rotor tip. I does 98% of the time though.
I think it's safe to say that "by design" that dimple aligns with the rotor. I think it's also safe to say that in the case of an aftermarket camshaft in the engine, it's a crap shoot what that dimple has to align with to get a Corvette distributor in the "by design" position.

Not a problem on pass cars and trucks.

You been keepin' outa' sight since the hurricane. Looks like you came out okay?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM

You been keepin' outa' sight since the hurricane. Looks like you came out okay?
Yeah Mike, only one tree down in the back yard and some misc damage on the house. It was a great storm, as storms go. No power for almost five days.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's a note I sent to Gary late yesterday or this morning responding to his question about the Corvette drive gears and indexing scheme:

"I don't have the gear drawing, but it's in the Delco-Remy Distributor Manual. The reason that fix works is that both gears (on the cam and on the distributor mainshaft) have 13 teeth, such that being "one tooth off" would move the distributor housing (and cap) 27.7 degrees; moving the distributor gear 180* on the shaft only moves the distributor index half that, or 14 degrees (the roll-pin hole meets a gear tooth on one side, and the valley between two teeth on the other side).

The indexing scheme starts with the location of the camshaft "pin" on its timing chain face, and works back through the distributor drive gear on the camshaft and the drive gear on the distributor shaft such that the distributor vacuum advance can is centered in its opening in the top ignition shield and doesn't interfere with the #8 intake manifold runner when the basic timing is set. That's why the indexing is only important on the Corvette, where the vacuum advance can has to relate in one position only to the ignition shielding - on any other Chevy V-8, it just keeps the vacuum advance can off the #8 intake runner, as no other Chevy V-8 had an ignition shield over the distributor.

This indexing relationship works with original GM/Chevy camshafts; most aftermarket camshafts either ignore the indexing scheme or they're simply unaware of its particular importance on a Corvette, so it's not unusual to have to re-index the distributor drive gear when you can't set the timing with an aftermarket camshaft."

Michael, glad to hear you came through that hurricane OK, and with only minor (relatively speaking) damage.

We don't have hurricanes up here, but we had a sustained storm on July 7th with steady winds of 70 mph and 1" - 2" hail for several hours, which knocked out power to 600,000 customers and did a lot of hail damage to our roof and many others in our subdivision.

Just had the roof replaced last week, and the truck that delivered my 100 square of shingles destroyed my concrete driveway; just finished taking bids on that replacement, which will start next week.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Michael, glad to hear you came through that hurricane OK, and with only minor (relatively speaking) damage.

We don't have hurricanes up here, but we had a sustained storm on July 7th with steady winds of 70 mph and 1" - 2" hail for several hours, which knocked out power to 600,000 customers and did a lot of hail damage to our roof and many others in our subdivision.

Just had the roof replaced last week, and the truck that delivered my 100 square of shingles destroyed my concrete driveway; just finished taking bids on that replacement, which will start next week.
John, good to hear you too escaped with only roof damage. (and a driveway) The sustained wind that you had is just a few MPH under cat 1 hurricane and that can do a lot of damage, especially if it continued for hours.

Get notified of new replies

To Delco-Remy Distributor Manual- Picture of Bottom Gear

Quick Reply: Delco-Remy Distributor Manual- Picture of Bottom Gear