C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1965 Birdcage concerns? Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
The photo 65GGvert is highlighting is indeed the most concerning, it looks like some painted and covered rust flakes back there, BUT you can't be sure without pulling the glove box or window trim.

So what are you buyer or owner?
Considering that the original post atarted out like this . . .

1964 coupe..Frame off, but body not done over. Older paint. Frame is perfect,sharkbite suspension and has new engine. Next is paint and body..(previous owners idea to do body last....)

. . . I'd say he's now the owner!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superhero
Thanks for all the replies. Well I am looking to buy it. It is a friends car that I am storing at the moment. The car was built with full sandblast powdercoated frame, full sharkbite suspension C6 Brakes and an LS3.
The body was going to be the last phase. Didn't want to sell but life happens....
Lots of money thrown into this car makes the decision that much harder.
Any ideas on value? This is my dilema...
If that was the original frame from the car, the frame looks like it is in decent shape and was not badly rusted. Hard to tell from the pictures though but if true, then the birdcage should be in decent shape.

The worst rust I've seen on a car over the years are those that sat outside and where the grass has grown up around the car, traping moisture under the car and rotting away the undercarriage and birdcage. As the others have posted, I would inspect the birdcage by looking between the frame rails and under the dash. You can also remove the panels on the B pillar and inspect the birdcage from that angle as well. If they all look good, then the bond on the inner door may have been put there for aesthetic reasons. The one picture you posted is cause of concern.

Now having said all that, if you can purchase the car cheaply enough to off set the risk, and worst case have to repair the upper part of the cage, then it could be worth it. The body and frame look good in my opinion.

Last edited by Sniper168gr; 10-13-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

You did n't tell us it was a rat rot. wasted time
Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

I've heard and read a little about coil over shocks as I have them on my car. Mine are to vertical and I have heard they need to be more angular, but these look like they are to much?????????
Old 10-14-2017, 03:33 PM
superhero
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update..Pulled the glovebox.

So I pulled the glove box and pillar trim.
Please let me know if this seems normal..
Rust looks minimal to me..Would it be a concern during a repaint.
Again this is a restomod driver not a class winner...
Attached Images       
Old 10-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Lots of rust from what I can see on the upper part of the cage. Bondo is more than likely covering up rust.

Last edited by Sniper168gr; 10-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:01 PM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
You did n't tell us it was a rat rot. wasted time
Really?

That’s an odd response, and a little surprising coming from you, Moxie.

It looks like an awesome car that was built to be enjoyed with a modern, lightweight, powerful (generally maintenance-free) drivetrain and suspension.

The gentleman is asking a simple question; I thought we were all here for the love of these cars. Shame some of apparently are not...

OP - It looks like a good bit of surface rust, but doesn’t appear to have compromised the structural integrity of the cage.

I would buy it.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:13 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Looks like surface rust to me also. That wouldn't keep me from buying it.
One thing you can do is poor a glass of water on the outside corner of the windshield and watch inside the car. If there is a serious rust problem the water will come into the cabin.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

That looks to me like water IS getting into the cabin. There is bubbled rust beyond just surface rust, there is apparent streaks of running water down the lower windshield frame, which has no original zinc chromate primer left on it, and you're looking at the "good" side of the frame.

It's a great looking car, but that rust still concerns me.

Does anybody think that those a-pillar rivets are non-original?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:34 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Looks like surface rust to me also. That wouldn't keep me from buying it.
One thing you can do is poor a glass of water on the outside corner of the windshield and watch inside the car. If there is a serious rust problem the water will come into the cabin.
That's that's a lot more than surface rust that's old rust that's been patched and filled and covered and now it's rusted again. It's going to take some work and some dollars to fix it, if you're going to fix it.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM
superhero
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Does anybody think that those a-pillar rivets are non-original?
My thoughts exactly..Are the Rivets original?
Did someone patch this up?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by superhero
My thoughts exactly..Are the Rivets original?
Did someone patch this up?
I don't know too much of the changes they made to the the birdcage throughout the years, but what I can say is that I have seen other birdcages with those rivets.

And what I can tell from the rust is that it's on the edge, you should also pull the drivers side trim and look there as well. And an easy way to tell the condition of the birdcage in the back is to pull the inspection caps in front of the rear wheels.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 10-14-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:43 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Looks like significant rust that wiil continue to get worse with time, swell, and crack the fillet/paint further.

Two more steps you could take to look further are:
- pull the intetior A pillar trim caps and look there at the wind shield frame vertical members of the birdcage.
- buy or borrow a fiber optic cable inspection camera and go in through the door hinge openings to see what the part of the bird cage looks like.

From what I have seen in the pictures you posted I would likely pass on this car.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

The pictures of the area behind the glove box look solid but the surface rust is definitely there. It looks a little worse than mine and I consider mine to be fully solid with normal surface corrosion consistant with a 50 year old car that was garage kept. I call it average or slightly better. Yours appears to be slightly less than average condition but not concerning-glove box area.
There was a 5 year old post recently dug up by me that has some info and pictures of what it should and shouldn't look like. Search bird cage.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

drive it like you stole it and hang on ! ......
Old 10-14-2017, 09:24 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Nobody wants to comment on the rear coil overs???
I had my modified rear suspension changed to coil overs and now I learn I'm going to have it changed again after finding someone who knows what they are talking about. After a lot of research on my part I realize mine is not right.

Best ask around and do your own research or you might be spending money on cleaning up the rust and changing the rear suspension also.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Steve410
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kolsen911
Nobody wants to comment on the rear coil overs???
I had my modified rear suspension changed to coil overs and now I learn I'm going to have it changed again after finding someone who knows what they are talking about. After a lot of research on my part I realize mine is not right.

Best ask around and do your own research or you might be spending money on cleaning up the rust and changing the rear suspension also.
kolsen911,
It looks like the rear coil overs are laid down to work with the pivoting rocker arms attached to the outboard end of the shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Birdcage concerns? Should I be worried?

Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

I see that now. It does look like that swivel would give it a vertical component. Somewhere I read that the coil over shouldn't lay at more than a 45 deg angle that's what caught my eye.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Steve410
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kolsen911
I see that now. It does look like that swivel would give it a vertical component. Somewhere I read that the coil over shouldn't lay at more than a 45 deg angle that's what caught my eye.
I suspect the more vertical installation of coil overs is for straight line cars, i.e. drag racing where you are adjusting for fore/aft weight transfer and not so concerned with cornering.

Last edited by Steve410; 10-17-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I know some of these guys are trying to be positive, but surface rust doesn't cause pieces of metal to split and curl up and fall off. Surface rust isn't covered by bondo and then more rust comes through. You have some rust issues there that I would not want to deal with. Because I'm sounding more negative than I like, I'm not going to respond any more to this post, I've given you my opinion and restating it won't make any difference.

Quick Reply: [C2] 1965 Birdcage concerns? Should I be worried?