C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] need help pricing my 67 427 vert

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM
bdbank
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help pricing my 67 427 vert

A later life crisis is tempting me to sell my real 427/435 hp vert , marina blue, factory side pipes. It is a frame off restored car, albeit ten years ago. My schedule with driving it is boringly consistent. It is dry stored at my house garage, I turn it over once each winter and drive it about 25 miles four times a summer. There is all of 500 miles on the car since it was restored. The shop that restored it is a professional, but not specifically corvette shop in the midwest. I have a partial video of the entire restoration, it was done properly though not to bloomington specs as you will soon be told. The car today is in extremely nice condition, it drives beautifully, better than I remember 67s back when they were delivered. Now the bad news.

It is not a properly documented car. It is more like a gorgeous original appearing "driver". During the restoration, which was designed for a driver not a show car, they removed mostly intact the original tank sticker but blasted and painted the frame without recording the serial number. I have used mirrors and can not decipher the numbers at all. The paperwork that came with the car is leaves incomplete information. it has a vailid pennsylvania title which has a reassigned serial number because the car was stolen in the eighties and new hampshire reissued a serial number. I almost hit a home run when I located the arresting officer and obtained the documents from the arrest . But the serial number he copied has at least one incorrect digit, and I can not match up a serial number to the corvette database. The sticker has a lot of info but not the serial number of course. The other info missing from the sticker is the horsepower even though the part that has the turbojet (427) is visible. I had a corvette expert look at the sticker and he recorded for me the options. The sticker says it was sold at a dealer in Saco Maine which matches the previous owners story, it was marina blue/black with factory side exhaust and a key piece of info, indicates factory hardtop only, no softtop. Which is what this car has ( although I bought a softop frame and I believe a top as well. ) The hardtop of course was painted with the car. Other options include am/fm, transistorized ign., close ratio trans, 355 rear. No other exotic options . I have started a serious search to find the original owner but info from that dealer is not available. I spoke to a couple salesmen still alive from the dealership Galos chevrolet but they cant remember the car. I found one guy in saco who said it was an L88 but that is so incredibly unlikely I disregarded it. The car has the high rpm tach which appears to have the correct date codes and none of the fasteners look like it was ever removed. And yes I guess that means the frame off did not include every nut and bolt, the gauges appear to be original and never disassembled.

So as far as the car itself, here goes. Repro stainless side pipes and covers. Trans, not original, I installed a tremac five speed so that it is driveable on the highway. Rear spring, is repro. Rear is not date coded, I believe is a 410. Engine, 427 hi perf block, year not know. rebuilt to 435 hp specs with solid lifters. Carb is 4bbl, I never got the tripower, mainly because I did not want to spend big bucks for date codes if it was going to remain a driver. bushings and suspension replacement I am sure are not date coded and NOS.

Interior. I have the original seat covers and door panels but it is now blue leather from one of the corvette interior places. I have the original radio but it has I POD connector and modern system in the back compartment with loose speakers. Paint and chrome are excellent, glass good, needs correct horn button assembly. Tires are new on basic rims and ralley wheels.

So what this is is a very strong rebuilt and restored high quality driver. It will be hard to document and put back to show winning original. Re doing the frame off is not worth it unless there is the one in a million chance that L88 story was valid. This was my second corvette, the first a 60 red/white I owned for 35 years. this 67 was to be my last corvette but by a weird series of events I purchased an entire collection of cars from a guy who had four corvettes he bought them new, sent them to lingenfelter for upgrades and never drove them. I am selling all of them except...... The last car in the collection is a 2014 blue convertible, 3lt, with a lingenfelter modified 650 hp engine. all the bells and whistles and only 1000 miles. I will never get what the previous owner invested so I think at age 64 I should think about selling my 67 and keeping the newer one. Part of me is horrified that I am just like any other old guy with some money who wants a newer car, but its hard to pass this one up and I cant keep both this car and my 67.
So at long last i get to the point of this post. All of you are so helpful and know so much about these cars. What do you think i should ask in terms of price for my 67. I figure the range is 65 to 90, a big spread , but some of you help me narrow it down? Am i making a big mistake selling this and taking the c-7? thanks, Brad, phila.pa
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the state issue vin kills it. but I would say 50-60K it would make a great driver for someone
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Car

$67,435
Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I have seen nice Big Block 67 verts that are NOM sell for $65-75K with good VIN #s. Therefore, $50-$60K sounds about right.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 AM
bdbank
Advanced

Default thanks for opinions

I will be realistic, i was hoping the video of frame off and the extent of work and driveability would put it a little over value of the "nice" ones that have been on the market. But actual sale value obviously is what the market bears. I am narrowing my range, thanks. Brad
Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbank
I will be realistic, i was hoping the video of frame off and the extent of work and driveability would put it a little over value of the "nice" ones that have been on the market. But actual sale value obviously is what the market bears. I am narrowing my range, thanks. Brad
Brad - I like it...I like the condition, color, the 5 speed, black stinger,(I prefer black stinger over white), side pipes...so yeah, its a nice car for sure.

Its worth the extra effort to see what it will bring.

GLWS!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 AM
bdbank
Advanced

Default owner reply

It shows how important documentation is. A couple years ago i felt i was so close to getting the original serial number and documentation. but perhaps a new owner who either has contacts in Maine or with the abilities of the internet an owner can find out what they need and apply for the original serial number and re register. Or do as i did and just enjoy the car for what it is not what it can be worth. I am starting to think ask in high sixties and see where it goes, at least i can take ninety , eighty or even mid seventies off my expectations.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Knowing the original vin has no barring on value here. Having the GM issued vin tag is what’s important to the numbers guys. Also having a BB of unknown origin isn’t helping either. There are so many other cars on the market with real tags and docs that drives the price of your car down. It may be a nice car and it sure looks like it and I wouldn’t mind owning but if I’m paying full market price I want GM tags. Given a discount more people would be interested
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I would think a gorgeous L71 that looks like yours, ought to bring $70K to the right buyer pretty quickly. Summarize your description above into one very tight paragraph (leaving out all the non essential back story) and post it with good photos in the CF C1/2 Cars For Sale forum and see what happens.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:14 AM
bdbank
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I would think a gorgeous L71 that looks like yours, ought to bring $70K to the right buyer pretty quickly. Summarize your description above into one very tight paragraph (leaving out all the non essential back story) and post it with good photos in the CF C1/2 Cars For Sale forum and see what happens.
thanks by owner, will ask a little less and follow your advice later this week, brad
Old 10-18-2017, 08:16 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree that the state issued vin kills a car, it would be different if the engine and trans were original, but they are not. frame is the only chance to find the original number, but also that assumes the frame is the original one. I am also guessing it does not have a trim tag, which will also lower the price. unfortunately a partial tank sticker on a car without a 67 vin number does not add much at all to the value, but does make for a good story.

probably not going to be the easiest sale, but I'm sure at the right price it will make someone very happy.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Sniper168gr
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbank
Am i making a big mistake selling this and taking the c-7? thanks, Brad, phila.pa
I've been through this scenario twice now in my life and after both times I VERY much regretted selling my C2 after about 1 year when the newness of the new model wore off. Each time I ended up getting back in a C2.

In a way I took for granted the beautiful C2 in my garage because I was so used to seeing it and was dazzled by something new. My recommendation is put the C2 up on blocks and forget about it for a year and enjoy the new car. After about a year, decide which one to keep.

That's just me and your mileage may differ!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Two things stand out to me in the original post. You ask the question... "Am i making a big mistake selling this and taking the C-7?" but you then, also, state "I turn it over once each winter and drive it about 25 miles four times a summer. There is all of 500 miles on the car since it was restored."

My serious question to you is why in God's name would you even consider for a moment keeping this car? You never drive it. Sell the C2 and get the C7...maybe you'll drive it. At least let someone else own the '67 that will drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

Your title asks "need help pricing my 67 427 vert"...I think, as some others, that you have a very nice $50-$60k car.
I don't mean to sound harsh or preachy, but your C2 needs to go

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 10-18-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniper168gr
I've been through this scenario twice now in my life and after both times I VERY much regretted selling my C2 after about 1 year when the newness of the new model wore off. Each time I ended up getting back in a C2.

In a way I took for granted the beautiful C2 in my garage because I was so used to seeing it and was dazzled by something new. My recommendation is put the C2 up on blocks and forget about it for a year and enjoy the new car. After about a year, decide which one to keep.

That's just me and your mileage may differ!
What he said!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:29 AM
vwtdi
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I went through it once, took a year also.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Brad, if you are in the 55k range I will come look at it.

I really dont care about the Vin being a state issued.

Im outside Philly
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 902 Likes on 593 Posts

I'd strip the frame paint in the stamping location and find a VIN. Unlikely sand blasting would completely wipe the sharp creases of the stamping. You'll probably find enough of the numbers remaining to make it worth while to you and a future buyer. There's cheap DYI processes like dye penetrate to pull out features in the metal surface. Your car is beautiful and the kind of well priced, fun, BB car we looked for. There's SOME VIN on that frame and on a lift could be found without too much difficulty. Just what I'd do whether I planned to keep or sell it. Best wishes.

Get notified of new replies

To need help pricing my 67 427 vert

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Brad, if you are in the 55k range I will come look at it.

I really dont care about the Vin being a state issued.

Im outside Philly
Good point, first off price is also determined by location also. Regardless, IMO, if everything is as you say then 50% of what a perfect 'numbers' car is completely realistic. 60-75k is where I'd be.

Last edited by Mikado463; 10-19-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
I'd strip the frame paint in the stamping location and find a VIN. Unlikely sand blasting would completely wipe the sharp creases of the stamping. You'll probably find enough of the numbers remaining to make it worth while to you and a future buyer. There's cheap DYI processes like dye penetrate to pull out features in the metal surface. Your car is beautiful and the kind of well priced, fun, BB car we looked for. There's SOME VIN on that frame and on a lift could be found without too much difficulty. Just what I'd do whether I planned to keep or sell it. Best wishes.
What good is it now to know the original vin
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Im with Nowhere, Its a NOM car, state issued vin so even if you found the frame stamp its always going to be what it is UNLESS.

I wouldnt care about the Vin and just drive it and not worry about it.

Quick Reply: [C2] need help pricing my 67 427 vert