C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Factory Powe steering compared to Borgeson

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Shame on me- I admitted to Lou I haven't gotten around to rebuilding my control arms and installing slotted cross shafts for the extra caster the Borgeson wants.

If you don't do this with the swap you will be driving a car that feels "over assisted" until you do.

Not a negative just a word of caution.

Benton
Benton - my alignment shop got 3+* of caster on my car with stock A arms and shafts after my Borgeson install. It did require a lot of new shims!

IIRC Borgeson recommends 4*, but mine works just fine at this setting. No "overboost" sensation at all.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Benton - my alignment shop got 3+* of caster on my car with stock A arms and shafts after my Borgeson install. It did require a lot of new shims!

IIRC Borgeson recommends 4*, but mine works just fine at this setting. No "overboost" sensation at all.

Glenn- interesting I wonder what that 3 degrees would feel like. On the other hand I have a full MOOG front end sitting in boxes short only the prerequisite shafts so I guess I should take a weekend away from the other projects and install.

i do like hearing your experience

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 10-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,249 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Louie,

I can't help thinking the dead spot and wandering you experienced might have been due to worn components in the stock setup.

My '63 has factory PS. It goes straight, I don't have to make constant corrections, and it's a joy to drive.

Jim
What I'm calling a dead spot probably is what Glenn describes as the system being over boosted at dead center. Whatever it is, I've never liked it in Vettes of that vintage even when they were new. Besides it's nothing we can quantify, just a matter of personal preference. I recall driving a new '63 Impala on a geology class field trip and the steering was so light it was frightening on the highway, as so many American cars were back then; but they kept building them that way for a long time, so I'm in the minority about how I like steering to feel.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:30 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
for the last car I used a very well known vendor and I could not be happier with the results. how any one can compare a worn out system to something that is new is beyond me.

and can someone please tell me on 67 cars if you collapse the column in order to make that aftermarket box fit how is that not a safety concern. plus you can not buy the parts to fix the column if you want to go back.
I do not believe the 1967 steering column is made to be adjustable, slight in/out adjustment is in the rag joint so IMO, the integrity is compromised if it's factory position is changed.

I don't fault anyone for making the upgrade, it's just not something I would do. Cutting the steering shaft, installing different pulleys, pumps not bolting up properly. (I REALLY DID READ THESE THINGS HERE).
Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's really interesting how folks who do not own a '67 and/or have not done the conversion can be such harsh critics of it.......
The following users liked this post:
Randy G. (10-21-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
It's really interesting how folks who do not own a '67 and/or have not done the conversion can be such harsh critics of it.......
I criticize the people who compaire a worn out system to something that’s new
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I criticize the people who compare a worn out system to something that’s new
I'll let you know in a few months what I think comparing a system with all brand new components to a Borgeson. I've owned my vette for 40 years and have never felt comfortable with the steering at anything above city street speed limits. I've driven many different cars over a hundred in that time and the vette is one that scares me the most! In fact, my latest car feels better at 140 with 90,000 miles on it than the vette at 100 with all new components!

And while I can't remember what the last caster setting was, it was set at the high limit.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Sounds like you already have your mind set what your going to like.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
So this can be done and undone as long as you box up the original parts? If cutting the steering shaft has to be done why can't you just install and aftermarket column?

[EDIT] A few posts were made while I was typing this. How far do you have to collapse the column?

Yes, it is very easy to revert back to the factory power steering, and you do not cut the steering column shaft - just tap the end of it gently - it will need to be about 2 or 3 inches shorter. And once you get it collapsed, you'll find out you can lengthen or shorten the column fairly easily. It's a shaft within a tube. You do not lose any collapsibility - that is determined by a crush zone located near the top of the column - you can see it under the instrument cluster where the column is mounted with three bolts.

I would guess I could pull the Borgeson unit and reinstall the factory unit in about 3 hours!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I criticize the people who compaire a worn out system to something that’s new
You assume we are comparing to a worn out system. You are wrong. We are not making such a comparison. How is it that you presume to know so much about our cars and our experience?

Do you have any direct personal experience with a Borgeson conversion, or - as you have said in previous posts - is it all just based on what you have read?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-19-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-19-2017, 01:17 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

Old 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Hey - even Captain Picard refused to be assimilated by the Borg!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 10-19-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R6T7
Yes, it is very easy to revert back to the factory power steering, and you do not cut the steering column shaft - just tap the end of it gently - it will need to be about 2 or 3 inches shorter. And once you get it collapsed, you'll find out you can lengthen or shorten the column fairly easily. It's a shaft within a tube. You do not lose any collapsibility - that is determined by a crush zone located near the top of the column - you can see it under the instrument cluster where the column is mounted with three bolts.

I would guess I could pull the Borgeson unit and reinstall the factory unit in about 3 hours!

Bob
So in other words you sheared the plastic pin inside the column I would like to hear from a engineer of steering columns and safety to see if this a good way to do this. And to be clear I never seen one of these boxes in person just over the old interwebs
Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Sounds like you already have your mind set what your going to like.
If this is intended for me the answer is no.

We've had this thing up on my lift trying different settings and different setups on the power steering and front end and we've also done a basic 4 wheel alignment check on it and all I'm going to say is at 70 miles an hour on a freeway cut with lines and the grooves that are meant to eliminate hydroplaning, this car hunts all over the place and you better be paying attention. So far people with back-to-back experience on the two setups are saying exactly the same thing I'm feeling in my '67. At 70 mph freeway speeds the steering is too sensitive to any corrections or input you give it through the steering wheel. On asphalt at speed it's significantly better, but we don't have many asphalt freeways here.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

So in other words you sheared the plastic pin inside the column I would like to hear from a engineer of steering columns and safety to see if this a good way to do this. And to be clear I never seen one of these boxes in person just over the old interwebs
I'm not sure what plastic pin you are referring to - there is no pin in a '67 steering shaft - see the diagram below:

The steering shaft (item 20) is a two piece shaft - the lower section simply slides into the upper section. In an impact, the crush zone (shown on the right side of the mast jacket - item 3) collapses and the upper section of the shaft simply slides into the lower section.

Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

if your moving something in the column or part 20 something has to give. I would like to see a drawing for the shaft. its too bad Jim Shea's web site is down
Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Randy G.
If this is intended for me the answer is no.

We've had this thing up on my lift trying different settings and different setups on the power steering and front end and we've also done a basic 4 wheel alignment check on it and all I'm going to say is at 70 miles an hour on a freeway cut with lines and the grooves that are meant to eliminate hydroplaning, this car hunts all over the place and you better be paying attention. So far people with back-to-back experience on the two setups are saying exactly the same thing I'm feeling in my '67. At 70 mph freeway speeds the steering is too sensitive to any corrections or input you give it through the steering wheel. On asphalt at speed it's significantly better, but we don't have many asphalt freeways here.
my comment was towards you. have you talked to any other classic car owners in your area and asked them if they have the same problem. may sound dumb but are you still running bias ply tires?

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Powe steering compared to Borgeson

Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

my comment was towards you. have you talked to any other classic car owners in your area and asked them if they have the same problem. may sound dumb but are you still running bias ply tires?
Actually a good question. The answer is no. It has a one year old set of BF Goodrich red line tires that say Silvertown Radials on them. I haven't investigated them, so if anyone has any information or history with them I'd like to hear from you.

All my classic car buddies have Mercs, Cuda's, Mustangs and shoebox Chevy's. There are a few C2's at some of the shows I go to but none have factory power steering. One guy has what looks like a Steeroids rack and pinion and the rest have manual steering. That's why I asked everyone's opinion here because there are more c2 guys here than anywhere else on planet earth.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would say there is something afoul with your car. either a worn steering box, alignment problems or the P.S. valve is the wrong one or wore.
the shoe box chevys used the same style PS set up. if your question the PS valve I woiuld send it to Lone Star for a rebuild
Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Since you are so terribly concerned about the supposed negative impacts of installing a Borgeson conversion on a '67 Corvette, I would strongly recommend that you not install one on yours.

Oh, wait......

Quick Reply: Factory Powe steering compared to Borgeson