C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] inspect throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Default inspect throw out bearing

I have some strange noise coming out tof the throw out bearing area when starting from cold. Disappears after 1/2 mile or so. Is there a way I can inspect the bearing area without taking out everything? Seems unscrewing the bell housing dust shield is feasible (eventually after taking out the starter motor), but I may be wrong. Ideas?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:15 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

If this is on your 64 and it has an aluminum bell housing, there is little chance of seeing the TO bearing without an inspection camera. Maybe you can see it thru the clutch fork slot if you can remove the boot and use a mirror.

Normally, the clutch fork should be adjusted to hold the TO bearing back off of the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged, so it should not be touching the PP for 1/2 mile or so. Have you tried adjusting the clutch to get 1 to 1-1/2" of free play? There was a tread on clutch adjustment here recently.
The following users liked this post:
alexandervdr (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I have some strange noise coming out tof the throw out bearing area when starting from cold. Disappears after 1/2 mile or so. Is there a way I can inspect the bearing area without taking out everything? Seems unscrewing the bell housing dust shield is feasible (eventually after taking out the starter motor), but I may be wrong. Ideas?
Alexander - you can remove the dust shield easily but you won't be able to tell anything about the condition of the TO bearing. I assume the noise is only when the clutch is in (pedal depressed)? It shouldn't be making any noise when the clutch is released as it's just sitting there on the transmission bearing retainer and not turning.

If it makes any noise with the clutch released it might be your pilot bushing (or did you use a bearing?) or possibly there's no free play in your clutch adjustment and the TO bearing is riding on the clutch fingers and spinning.

I would drive it a while and see if the noise gets worse or maybe it will work it's way out. I would check that you have some free play at the top of the pedal. If it continues to make noise or gets worse the transmission will have to come out since you can't really do anything except replace them.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 10-19-2017 at 08:19 AM.
alexandervdr (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Yes, the noise is when I depress the clutch when I drive off. With adjusting the clutch, do you mean making sure there is some pedal free play before the bearing touches the plate. (to be adjusted on the top end of the Z-bar)?
The pilot bearing is new and bronze. I did center the gearbox to the bearing.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, the noise is when I depress the clutch when I drive off. With adjusting the clutch, do you mean making sure there is some pedal free play before the bearing touches the plate. (to be adjusted on the top end of the Z-bar)?

Yes - that's correct.

Sounds like it is the TO bearing most likely. I would still drive it awhile and hope it's something that fixes itself. (yeah, I know - how often does that happen?) Do you know who manufactured the TO bearing?
Dan
alexandervdr (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Why don't you take a pill and relax. You seem to be eaten up with the "fizidities"

When it falls out in the driveway, you'll know you have a problem.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

If it's squealing when you push in the clutch pedal, it's most likely the T/O bearing. The proper way to check one is to remove it, and rotate it while holding it in your hand, checking for roughness and play. No 'magic bullet' fixes peering through an inspection hole, I'm afraid.....
Old 10-20-2017, 03:03 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GTOguy
it's most likely the T/O bearing. ... No 'magic bullet' fixes peering through an inspection hole, I'm afraid.....
I wished I could, taking out the tranny (Keissler RS400) is quite an undertaking

Last edited by alexandervdr; 10-20-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I wished I could, taking out the tranny (Keissler RS400) is quite an undertaking
Ohh - forgot about that. Another reason to live with it for a little while and see what happens.

I've have a theory I've never had the bad fortune to explore - which is if a transmission can simply be moved far enough to the rear without removing completely, to allow access to replace the TO bearing. I envisioned replacing the transmission bolts with 4 - long pieces of all-thread, support the engine, pull driveshaft, shifter, & mount and slide the transmission on the all-thread as far to the rear as possible. The unknown is can the transmission be slid far enough to the rear to get the pilot shaft out of the bearing and to be able to remove & replace it. It seems like it should work but unsure. I can slide mine far enough back to get the input within an inch of clearing the bell housing - and then I have to drop the rear of the engine. But that would seem enough to get to the TO bearing. Getting the transmission down and back up in place is the worst part of doing transmission work for me.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 10-20-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

so I did go in there, took out the starter motor, and through the opening in the dust shield I could go in with an endoscope. What I did see is that the fork is still in correctly (spring clips) and that the movement of the bearing is smooth. Can not check if it is slipping on the fingers with clutch out, but I assume it does not cause I only get the noise when I start pushing in the pedal.

So I am left with the option that the ball bearing inside is shot (although it's a new throw out, done 3000-4000 miles or so). Or something else? Still bizar that the noise goes away within a couple of hundreds yards of driving.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 10-20-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:09 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's probably the ball bearing/race assembly. Pretty hard to trouble shoot something in it's early, intermittent stages like that. You probably wouldn't even notice any roughness in turning it by hand at this stage - only later.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Why don't you take a pill and relax. You seem to be eaten up with the "fizidities"

Yes, turn on the stereo, open the windows and drive the car for a year....

Jack
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I've have a theory I've never had the bad fortune to explore - which is if a transmission can simply be moved far enough to the rear without removing completely, to allow access to replace the TO bearing. I envisioned replacing the transmission bolts with 4 - long pieces of all-thread, support the engine, pull driveshaft, shifter, & mount and slide the transmission on the all-thread as far to the rear as possible. The unknown is can the transmission be slid far enough to the rear to get the pilot shaft out of the bearing and to be able to remove & replace it. It seems like it should work but unsure. I can slide mine far enough back to get the input within an inch of clearing the bell housing - and then I have to drop the rear of the engine. But that would seem enough to get to the TO bearing. Getting the transmission down and back up in place is the worst part of doing transmission work for me.
Yes, a Muncie 4-spd trans (not sure about the RS400) can be moved far enough out of the way without being removed to be able to replace the TO bearing. Using all thread will not work, the trans has to be rotated on its side to shove it as far back out of the bell housing as possible and then allowed to drop in the front. If the back of the engine is supported at about its regular elevation, which it should be during pulling the trans out of the clutch, the tip of the trans main drive gear (the pilot shaft) will just hang up on the bottom of the opening in the back of the bellhousing. You'll see this in the CSM procedure for removing the trans completely - the only further step for complete trans removal is to drop the back of the engine until the pilot shaft clears the opening in the bellhousing. With the pilot shaft resting on the bellhousing opening, the TO bearing is completely accessible and can be replaced.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Soon after starting a trip, this spring, I started getting exactly what you describe. Doesn't do it 100% of the time but when it does it is in the morning when it is cold or after sitting for 5 or 6 hours. I hear it when letting the clutch out, a fairly good growl. I have driven it this way for the entire trip, around 25,000 miles, and it hasn't gotten any worse, or better. I will probably address it this winter. As others have said, when it's bad enough to address, you will know it. If you are just driving local, there is not much down side to waiting to see what happens.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:28 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeM
Good idea While I am waiting for that to happen, I can already get the spare in. Is there any better or less good brand or type for throw out bearings?
The one I got is a regular one from ZIP if IIRC.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It's hard to tell the quality of one versus another. I last used a McLeod TO bearing as I generally like their products. It's also a bit pricey. But is it better - I don't know? I would just stay away from the plastic ones.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
It's hard to tell the quality of one versus another. I last used a McLeod TO bearing as I generally like their products. It's also a bit pricey. But is it better - I don't know? I would just stay away from the plastic ones.
Hi Dan,

any reference at hand to the specific McLeod TO used?

Get notified of new replies

To inspect throw out bearing

Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I will check when I get home. I believe I ordered it from Summit.
alexandervdr (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:52 PM
adurso19@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default throw out bearing

I drove my 1960 for years with an occasional growl when I depressed the clutch. I had the bearing replaced twice and kept having the same problem.I pulled the tranny last year and discovered that the shop put the bearing in wrong. Instead of the tabs of the fork being put into the bearing groove, the tabs were outside the bearing groove. This made the bearing push the clutch arms on an angle. It's worth checking if you pull the bearing. PS. I heard they make a new bearing that you can't put in wrong. Wish they had them years ago!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Dan,

any reference at hand to the specific McLeod TO used?
Alex - here is what I purchased for my TO bearing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...Mcleod%2016010

I'm sure there are other good TO Bearing options out there but I've had good luck with McLeod products.
alexandervdr (01-18-2018)

Quick Reply: [C2] inspect throw out bearing