C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Torq Thrust D Backset

Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Torq Thrust D Backset

I'm looking for information on the correct backset needed for a 57 Vette that now has stock drum brakes all around and I want to put Torq Thrust D wheels on the car , but soon will be installing a disc brake conversion with rotors on the front and they will have to also clear the rotors etc. Anyone used this combination ?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I'm looking for information on the correct backset needed for a 57 Vette that now has stock drum brakes all around and I want to put Torq Thrust D wheels on the car , but soon will be installing a disc brake conversion with rotors on the front and they will have to also clear the rotors etc. Anyone used this combination ?
VN1055665 (offset is 4, backspacing is 3.66" for the 6" x 15").

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...-torq-thrust-d

I bought mine in 2000 for my 62 (probably a different p/n back then, since AR has changed the design somewhat) and installed them on with the original drums, then I converted the fronts to disc brakes in 2005. Still on the Vette.

Note that different disc brake kits may change the front tread width, and mine certainly did (moved the wheels outboard by .600" each, but it did not affect anything - no contact with fenders, etc. - but the vendor told me .25" per side, but when measured it was almost 5/8"!). I run 215/60x15" tires in front, and 235/60x15" in rear. Since the earlier Vettes have a different rear fender configuration, best to measure carefully.

I added the spinners.......

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-21-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Plasticman
VN1055665 (offset is 4, backspacing is 3.66" for the 6" x 15").

http://www.americanracing.com/wheelS...-torq-thrust-d

I bought mine in 2000 for my 62 (probably a different p/n back then, since AR has changed the design somewhat) and installed them on with the original drums, then I converted the fronts to disc brakes in 2005. Still on the Vette.

Note that different disc brake kits may change the front tread width, and mine certainly did (moved the wheels outboard by .600" each, but it did not affect anything - no contact with fenders, etc. - but the vendor told me .25" per side, but when measured it was almost 5/8"!). I run 215/60x15" tires in front, and 235/60x15" in rear. Since the earlier Vettes have a different rear fender configuration, best to measure carefully.

I added the spinners.......

Plasticman
The wheels that I am looking at are 15x6 with 3.66 backset and offset says (+ 4mm ) . Does the offset sound right . Doesn't sound right to me . I like your spinners . Who sells them ?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:36 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

The wheels that I am looking at are 15x6 with 3.66 backset and offset says (+ 4mm ) . Does the offset sound right . Doesn't sound right to me . I like your spinners . Who sells them ?
Yes, that is the exact size I have.

Here is the info on the spinners:

The spinners are a common parts store item purchased at Pep Boys. I had to make adapters to mount them on to the TTD wheels. Paul67 is using a different version (and I think his "spin" on to tighten), and I think his might be available commercially. As you can see, my spinners sit tighter to the wheel, whereas Paul's are extended outward a little.

I did not have that option when I adapted mine. Mine are held on via 3 set screws hidden behind each "wing". The center emblems were spares left over from my 70 Vette I had years ago (with AR 200S wheels), and never used. Have not found new spares for those, and I sold that Vette in 87. The adapters were pretty easy, since the plastic center caps for the AAR wheels are basically the same OD as the spinner rear ID. I removed the center cap end cone, down to 1/2" extending out from the center cap mounting flange. I then made a steel ring that supports the inside of the center cap ring (since the AR center cap is chrome plated plastic, it needs the steel reinforcement ring for the screws and threads that hold the spinner on). The support ring was sheet metal cut in a 1/2" wide strip and rolled in a circle to fit the center of the end cap extension). I used epoxy to glue the steel support ring to the inside of the center cap ring. I opened up the rear "hole" on the spinners, so they fit over the AR center ring extension. Drilled 3 radial holes for the screws (through both the spinner and the extension/support ring). These spinners have a raised boss behind each wing that are perfect for drilling the radial holes (adds extra "meat" for the retaining threads). I used SS sheet metal screws with hex heads. Using a short "Spin Tite" (available from Sears), I can remove and install the 3 screws easily (without being able to see the actual screw) due to the hex head screw and Spin Tite. The shorter Spin Tite fits perfectly in the space between the spinner and the wheel rim. Still a slight pain to have to remove the spinners before taking off a wheel, but visually well worth it.

And note that since each spinner has it's mounting screw holes drilled individually, I must put the correct spinner on the right wheel, and they must be indexed correctly as well (magic marker on the inside of each serves that purpose). No mixing and matching! If I had drilled them on a jig (which I probably should of done), they would not of had that issue.

If you need more info, be happy to get pictures, etc.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-22-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Yes, that is the exact size I have.

Here is the info on the spinners:

The spinners are a common parts store item purchased at Pep Boys. I had to make adapters to mount them on to the TTD wheels. Paul67 is using a different version (and I think his "spin" on to tighten), and I think his might be available commercially. As you can see, my spinners sit tighter to the wheel, whereas Paul's are extended outward a little.

I did not have that option when I adapted mine. Mine are held on via 3 set screws hidden behind each "wing". The center emblems were spares left over from my 70 Vette I had years ago (with AR 200S wheels), and never used. Have not found new spares for those, and I sold that Vette in 87. The adapters were pretty easy, since the plastic center caps for the AAR wheels are basically the same OD as the spinner rear ID. I removed the center cap end cone, down to 1/2" extending out from the center cap mounting flange. I then made a steel ring that supports the inside of the center cap ring (since the AR center cap is chrome plated plastic, it needs the steel reinforcement ring for the screws and threads that hold the spinner on). The support ring was sheet metal cut in a 1/2" wide strip and rolled in a circle to fit the center of the end cap extension). I used epoxy to glue the steel support ring to the inside of the center cap ring. I opened up the rear "hole" on the spinners, so they fit over the AR center ring extension. Drilled 3 radial holes for the screws (through both the spinner and the extension/support ring). These spinners have a raised boss behind each wing that are perfect for drilling the radial holes (adds extra "meat" for the retaining threads). I used SS sheet metal screws with hex heads. Using a short "Spin Tite" (available from Sears), I can remove and install the 3 screws easily (without being able to see the actual screw) due to the hex head screw and Spin Tite. The shorter Spin Tite fits perfectly in the space between the spinner and the wheel rim. Still a slight pain to have to remove the spinners before taking off a wheel, but visually well worth it.

And note that since each spinner has it's mounting screw holes drilled individually, I must put the correct spinner on the right wheel, and they must be indexed correctly as well (magic marker on the inside of each serves that purpose). No mixing and matching! If I had drilled them on a jig (which I probably should of done), they would not of had that issue.

If you need more info, be happy to get pictures, etc.

Plasticman
Wow , turned out not to be just a bolt up job on the spinners . You did a nice job. As for the wheels , I think I will just go ahead and order them . I talked to someone at the company that makes the wheels and he recommended 215/65R 15 for the tires . He said that they mostly run this combination on most of their cars . Although I could run slightly bigger on the rear for looks.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

If you intend to stay with drum brakes you don't need the "D" wheels.

The original Torq Thrust wheels will work. The "D" connotation is for Disc brakes.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mark Lovejoy
If you intend to stay with drum brakes you don't need the "D" wheels.

The original Torq Thrust wheels will work. The "D" connotation is for Disc brakes.
No I do intend to convert to discs on the front but what you said is interesting . The wheels that I am looking at have the black centers not gray and the black seems to always have the "D" after it . I thought it just meant for black wheels . So I guess that confirms what I am looking for . Thank You
Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Note that the AR TTD wheels I bought in 2000 will not fit later C2 disc brakes, but they fit my C1 conversion disc brakes just fine (and just about all current C1 disc brake conversions that I have seen, use the mid 70's single piston mid size GM calipers). So you should be "golden" using those rims.

I also previously had a 66 C2 (obviously with disc brakes) in late 1960's, and bought AR TTD rims back then, and they fit just fine on that Vette.

AR has "played around" with the TTD wheel design over the years (new molds, in different factories, etc.), so just because my early versions fit, I thought my later 2000 rims would fit on a disc brake C2 (which they did not)..... I understand that the current versions again fit C2 disc brake cars.

Yes, the 215/65x15 tires are a little taller and fill the wheel well "better". You may want to look at 215x70x15 tires as well (even closer to the original tire diameter). I have lowered my front end, so my 215/60x15 look good.

And all of the AR rims shown on the web page (from AR) I listed in post #2 are; VN105D Torq Thrust D (D for disc brakes).

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

OK guys thanks , that answers all of my questions on that subject but stay tuned. There will probably be a lot more . I just moved over here from the C3 forum and recently got this 57 . I formerly was on the C2 forums with my 67 convertible a few years back . Never owned a C1 though , this is the first . It is an interesting story with this car . Before I retired in 2013 I owned a metal restoration shop for antique and classic cars for 26 years and I started a body off restoration on this 57 Corvette and a 1957 Chevy BelAir convertible for a long time customer that was a local collector . He is now 80 years old and the two cars were only partially done , both having the bodies removed and the chassis done and the bodies put back on with the engine compartments done and detailed . He seemed to be losing interest in completing the cars so I offered a trade for my totally restored 72 Corvette and he accepted. Although the BelAir is a nice car my interest is only in completing the 57 Corvette so I'm selling the BelAir conv. soon to cover the high cost of the parts for the 57 Corvette . Wow is that an eye opener at the prices of parts particularly on the 56 and 57's . Everything seems to be much higher than the 58 through 62 . Very odd that a complete windshield frame with glass is now more than the price of the car back in 1957 .
Old 10-23-2017, 05:27 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a pair of 215/65/15 and I thought they looked terrible on my car! I had American 15x6 on the rear too, the exact wheels too vn105. They did not fill the wheel well at all in my opinion. I didn't drive 10 feet had them changed to 205/75/15. 1.25 difference in height.

I still run 4 drum brakes. I got them from Discounttiredirect.com $89.50 per wheel. Tires came mounted and balanced too. They local store said they couldn't get them for 6 weeks, online delivered in 3 days. But the local store swapped tires for just the cost of rebalance... $20

Last edited by 61corv; 10-23-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:15 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 61corv
I had a pair of 215/65/15 and I thought they looked terrible on my car! I had American 15x6 on the rear too, the exact wheels too vn105. They did not fill the wheel well at all in my opinion. I didn't drive 10 feet had them changed to 205/75/15. 1.25 difference in height.

I still run 4 drum brakes. I got them from Discounttiredirect.com $89.50 per wheel. Tires came mounted and balanced too. They local store said they couldn't get them for 6 weeks, online delivered in 3 days. But the local store swapped tires for just the cost of rebalance... $20
No clearance problems with the 205/75/15 ?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Fit perfect on my 61, 27 inches tall. The same as 670-15. I will send a picture when I am back in town.

I have tried 225/70/15 too big. And was told 215/70/15 would fit also but the 205/75/15 was the best match to a 670-15.

Last edited by 61corv; 10-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

On the 53-62 Corvettes, the D-spoke design, whether it be American Racing or Appliance, is not necessary. Period correct wheels would have been these American Racing Sport wheels, 15x6 with 2.5 inch backspacing. This is what was popular prior to introduction of the disc brakes in 1965. Many people refer to these as "straight spoke" or "A spoke" design. I sold this mint set off a southern California Corvette last year to another forum member.

Rex

Last edited by Dr L-88; 10-23-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
On the 53-62 Corvettes, the D-spoke design, whether it be American Racing or Appliance, is not necessary. Period correct wheels would have been these American Racing Sport wheels, 15x6 with 2.5 inch backspacing. This is what was popular prior to introduction of the disc brakes in 1965. Many people refer to these as "straight spoke" or "A spoke" design. I sold this mint set off a southern California Corvette last year to another forum member.

Rex

I assume the spokes on the back of that wheel would interfere with the disc brake caliper , Correct ? Does anyone have a picture of the back of the disc brake wheel ?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I assume the spokes on the back of that wheel would interfere with the disc brake caliper , Correct ? Does anyone have a picture of the back of the disc brake wheel ?
That is correct.

Here are a couple of pics of a D-spoke (disc brake) wheel, front and back.

Last edited by Dr L-88; 10-24-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

To add to Dr L-88's pics of Torque Thrust "D" examples, here's a used set I bought back in '14 complete with spinners and fasteners..15x6's:

Notice the machining on the spokes to clear the disc brake calipers

Jim
In God We Trust!

Get notified of new replies

To Torq Thrust D Backset

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C1] Torq Thrust D Backset