C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carb vs EFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I have two friends that have now converted to FI systems. One went with the Fast system on a 71 Challenger 340 4 speed. His has a big cam in it. The Fast system gave him fits. The company did work with him for 6 mos to a year and they finally got it working well with his camshaft. At idle now his engine sounds like a tame small horsepower car. ( almost like a retarded V-8 sound ) The FI unit took all the lumpity lump idle out of it. It runs great, is very responsive. Starts with the touch of the key, exhaust is much cleaner now.
He wishes he never changed to FI because he misses his old idle. Formerly when he pulled into a show everyone would stop and look because his car sounded so good. That is what he misses.
Second friend built a Buick 455 Stage 3 car, the car is beautiful. He has owned it since it was new but just fully restored it to unbelievable condition. He hated the old school carburetor issues. He is a very talented mechanic but wanted the simple life FI offers. He installed the FITeck unit. He said the install was very easy. He chose to install an in tank pump which is the best option. He absolutely loves it. Clean exhaust smell, very responsive, better MGP. He only has 500 miles on it now and thinks it will continue to tune itself better. His cam is very similar to the factory Stage 3 cam and pulls about 11 inches vacuum at idle running 10:1 compression. He used the Stage 1 pistons.
He says the coolest thing is he can reach in the window and turn the key and it fires and idles smoothly every time.
Can't say if either of these would work at 12,000 feet but thought you might like to know their experience.

Last edited by Westlotorn; 10-23-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I had the Accel system and finally decided to go with the Holly Hp FI
It is a great set up. My car runs like modern FI.
I also had an external pump and converted to an in tank unit. It is much better. I had a lot of trouble with the external fuel pump making a lot of noise.
gonna be hard to find something in a simple 'bolt-on' that will replace this EFI conversion.

Bill
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI