Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Beware of Valley corvette in Bedford PA

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I examined a "numbers matching" split window at a consignment dealer for an interested member a few months back with a price tag of $115K. The car had been hit hard in the front and rear, badly repaired and had a replacement block - but man the paint was just Soooo shiny.

How could you go wrong ?

Look, if you walk into one of these places like a country rube with money falling out of your pockets NONE of them are under any obligation to straighten you out...

Short of fraud, or, selling something unsafe to drive - you are fair game...and "as-is" means "as-is".
That's good advice and correct most of the time. But there are exceptions. Many here know my experience of buying from a dealer under an "as-is" contract, finding a mechanical problem after the car was delivered, and the dealer stepping up to the plate offering to send his guy who delivered the car back to my house with his enclosed trailer to return the car back to his store (500 miles from me). He replaced the shifter, and sent the car back down to me within a week. No charge.

That's why I say, IF you are going to purchase from a dealer, check him out thoroughly before you start to check out any of his cars. Reputation matters. I checked out the dealer where I purchased my car before my purchase. Found out that he had brought someone's car back (also an out-of-state "as-is" sale) to fix something that wasn't right. That, along with not finding anything negative on the Internet helped me make the decision to do business with him. It was a good decision.

Steve
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Merchon's just did about $1,500 in repairs on a friend's split window after he made an issue about oil leaks, fuel leaks, etc. Took some arm-twisting -- but you can't always count on that...
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I'll never get it.

There are people who will pour over charts and literature and consult with a broker before investing $10,000 in a publicly traded stock but will throw 6x that amount at a car they are unqualified to assess...

I always initially feel bad for them but, upon reflection, realize they pretty much backed up into their own stink.
In my own defense, I just could not get to PA to pick my 67 Coupe up due to the endless snow in January a few years ago. However, on my 63 convertible that i purchased from Ohio, well, I totally dropped the ball on that one. NOTE: 63 convertible was from someone else and not Valley Auto or whatever multiple names they have.

Last edited by 65silververt; 10-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well - not picking on anyone in particular and we've all had our peccadilloes.

The only time I got well and truly screwed on a car was one I bought from a relative....go figure...
Old 10-27-2017, 06:33 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,033 Likes on 1,250 Posts

One idea for inspections: I contacted the NCRS regional person in Michigan when I saw a 67 for sale there, and he forwarded my request to a 1967-specialty judge, who was glad to inspect the car for a reasonable fee. He even "scored" the car on NCRS scoring sheets as a high-3, almost a 2, and I bought it and drove home to CA.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:15 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

We once made a 470 mile ride to Valley looked at a big brake 61 NOM car ***** as I remember it would not move the car out doors or put it on a lift as promised .car had all the big brake rims etc in place radio delete semi rough front clip but fixable , I knew what I was looking at ,
the NOM motor was not a issue for us ! well ***** the cash was in my truck all of it and I left with a full bag of money , 471 miles home NO DEAL !
Old 10-28-2017, 12:51 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

And in the interest of balance, I’ll say again that dealers absolutely do not have the market cornered on misrepresentation of a vehicle. I cannot count how many cars I’ve inspected for myself or someone else that have been misrepresented and I have found no greater frequency of this by dealers over private parties.

Private parties are even more fearless about saying “they didn’t know” when you find stuff, and have less to lose in the way of reputation concerns. A dealer is also more likely to fix some things after the fact for an unhappy customer.

I’m not recommending one or the other. I’m saying that the majority of people should find a qualified inspector to help them make a 50-100k purchase, if they are not sure they can do it themselves, regardless of who is selling the car or where it is. Even the pros like to enlist another set of eyes to view things from a detached viewpoint.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 10-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:11 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Merchon's just did about $1,500 in repairs on a friend's split window after he made an issue about oil leaks, fuel leaks, etc. Took some arm-twisting -- but you can't always count on that...
They did the same thing for a friend of mine on his midyear
Old 10-28-2017, 01:43 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Fair words from steve on post 47.

When i I sold my 69 last Saturday I told the man everything I had done to the car, what it still needed, and even pointed out the fresh repair I did to the small quarter panel strip behind the passenger door (and the smaller portion of the door). It wasn't busted but rubbed from the paint to the brown primer. Also I showed him photos of the area before, during, after. The new owner was amazed.

I like to sell a car the the way I want a car to be sold to me- on it's real merits, nothing hidden.

Benton
Old 10-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I examined a “rust free” local 66 Mustang this summer. Private owner who dabbles at restorations. Cosmetic apparently. First thing I always do is run my arm up inside the door for the passenger side footwell fresh air vent. I came out with a fistful of rust and damp vegetation. Cowl “top hats” a rusty mess. The guy was dropping the price with each step I took back to my car to leave.

Trust no one.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-28-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:59 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm sure everyone has horror stories. I've inspected dozens of cars that were nothing like the description. To get back on track, the car in question has a VIN of 194676S106406 Hopefully a future buyer will Google the VIN and be directed to this thread.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:27 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I examined a “rust free” local 66 Mustang this summer. Private owner who dabbles at restorations. Cosmetic apparently. First thing I always do is run my arm up inside the door for the passenger side footwell fresh air vent. I came out with a fistful of rust and damp vegetation. Cowl “top hats” a rusty mess. The guy was dropping the price with each step I took back to my car to leave.

Trust no one.
I'm not sure why you quoted me on this Frankie before your anecdotal reply.

I can assure you my depiction of the car was absolutely thorough and I offered a Phillips screwdriver and a flashlight if he wanted to dig into the condition of the birdcage.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I'm not sure why you quoted me on this Frankie before your anecdotal reply.

I can assure you my depiction of the car was absolutely thorough and I offered a Phillips screwdriver and a flashlight if he wanted to dig into the condition of the birdcage.
FIXED IT.

Most certainly not aimed at you. It’s just the way the damn CF acts on an iPhone. Pls take no offense.
You are one of the most forthright members on here.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:51 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Most certainly not aimed at you. It’s just the way the damn CF acts on an iPhone. Pls take no offense.
thanks Frankie. I try.

Also, the yellow arrow on my iPhone anyway makes areply to the post. The green arrow makes a reply to the thread with no one quoted.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:58 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I finally gave up on the CF app. The text was so tiny on my iPhone that I couldn’t read it and I could never find a way to make the text larger. It was also squirrelly the way it handled images. So I’m back to using the full site which works good for me.

Steve
Old 10-28-2017, 03:17 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RatDog
I finally gave up on the CF app. The text was so tiny on my iPhone that I couldn’t read it and I could never find a way to make the text larger. It was also squirrelly the way it handled images. So I’m back to using the full site which works good for me.

Steve
interesting- I've never downloaded the app, but the iPhone loads the "mobile site" (optimized) by default. The photo loading and text seems to work well this way. And I can toggle on the full site if I need to.

I wonder if the app is actually worse than the basic mobile site.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 PM
stevelang
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default damage

i don't see any damage in that picture.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of Valley corvette in Bedford PA

Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM
wsaugenstein
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Fraud is NOT operating within the law. If false representations are in writing (in the adv, contract or other doc's) or on video or audio recording, it's consumer fraud, which is illegal in all States. Most States have consumer fraud laws that impose treble damages, attorneys fees, costs, etc. on the vendor. People who have been cheated don't have to put their tails between their legs and fade away.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 PM
dennyquad
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about having a Corvette inspected first by a knowledgeable expert. As for myself.... I know I'm not qualified, so at least I recognize that fact. So, speaking of getting the car inspected by an expert first....... who are some of the better services that some of you have used and been pleased with? I'm taking my time currently looking for a C2 that falls within the parameters of what I want in the car.... option, color and price-wise. I don't want to be the next first-timer that ends up posting their own horror story. I would definitely go where necessary to view and drive the car first, but I want it inspected by someone who knows what to look for. I'm sure some inspection services are better than others. Any suggestions for a novice buyer?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Yes, the way I would do it if I were you is first, fill in your location in your profile so CF members can know where you are located. Then when you find a car that you want inspected, start a new thread asking for a PPI (Per Purchase Inspection) where the car is located. Be as specific as possible. You will have members from the area speak up and contact you. Then you can work out how to proceed.

Quick Reply: Beware of Valley corvette in Bedford PA