C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 1960 front measurements

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 front measurements

Can someone send me a few measurements on the front corners of a 1960. My driver side (L) front corner appears lower than the passenger (R) side by about 1". I know my frame is true - all frame specs are ok) and nothing else obvious can be seen (shimming seems ok all around), shocks, springs tire pressures all seem similar. I suspect the issue at the radiator but bolts on each side seem to lineup (which may be the problem). I think they need some 'tweaking' to bring the left body side up slightly or the right side down slightly (or a bit of both).

But I need correct heights to reference as a starting point (assuming similar tire pressures etc.,) Can someone measure from ground to centre of corner bumper (which will match the center of the bumper mounts through the body) on each corner and / or to the bottom of the headlight bezel on each side?

This will be a great starting point to determine what I need to adjust.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

No help here !
Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would start by checking wheel well and frame height on ALL 4 corners on a flat surface. You might just have a weak spring.
The following users liked this post:
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:59 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
I would start by checking wheel well and frame height on ALL 4 corners on a flat surface. You might just have a weak spring.
Thanks, been checked and all frame measurements are ok/equal and springs checked out. Asked for help w these particular measurements to determine which side is high and which may be low. Once that's determined I can at least start my troubleshooting on the suspect side. I believe it to be a body mount issue as all else seems ok and I do have a few glass cracks inside at the base of the rad mount.

Anyone reading who can take the time to send the measurements from this thread would be grtly appreciated.

​​​​​​​thanks,
Old 12-26-2017, 06:45 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

I would take a measurement from the top of each rim at the top to a level surface on all 4 corners
Then take a measurement from the center of each wheel arch to ground this should give you a good start of which corner in high/low as compared with other side/corner

Let us know what you find
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by solidaxel
I would take a measurement from the top of each rim at the top to a level surface on all 4 corners
Then take a measurement from the center of each wheel arch to ground this should give you a good start of which corner in high/low as compared with other side/corner

Let us know what you find
Thanks, I've done that and they are equal and within limits , again my problem is in the glass body. And yes, there is a slight difference (3/4") in the body wheel arch bc the difference begins around that point (BUT wo the comparison I ask for, I can't know which side is high or low, right?) The difference then increases to the 1-1/2" going forward to the front of the car. All I need is the measurements in the thread to help determine if one side is 1-1/2 " high or the other side 1 1/2" low or perhaps or somewhere in-between. The only measurements that don't jive are all related to the body. Again, all frame measurements are fine.

thanks
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Read this post:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...any-ideas.html
In post #37 I posted a picture showing the curvature of the top of the fender.
Charles

Last edited by cbernhardt; 12-27-2017 at 07:27 AM.
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 AM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Thanks Charles, that will help. Btw, can you briefly say how the heck you set up to get set accurate measurements? That whole 'fender droop' thread is very interesting. I'm still not convinced I'm not a mounting issue or that my left side even runs high (as apposed to the right drooping) possibly from a previous glass issue (that I can't see wo removing inner fenders).
I'm on hold under a foot of snow and -20º, so even w heat, my garage is not the best place to be right now. In the meantime, I'd still really appreciate someone - anyone who can provide the front end measurements at the beginning of this thread,thanks again C
Old 12-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Just in the last week or two there was a post with measurements. I'm surprised someone has posted a link I would but I'm old and forgot which thread it's in.
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:07 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slyguy
Thanks Charles, that will help. Btw, can you briefly say how the heck you set up to get set accurate measurements?
I set a block of wood on the fender somewhere near the middle, placed a carpenter's level on the block, leveled the level, and measured down to the fender at the various points.
Charles
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I set a block of wood on the fender somewhere near the middle, placed a carpenter's level on the block, leveled the level, and measured down to the fender at the various points.
Charles
Makes sense. I'll do the same (as soon as garage warms up), and post up what I get. If I understand correct, I assume you subtracted the height of the wood block from your measurements? I'm all 4's on dolly wheels for a while but that shouldn't matter as floor is perfect level and all dollies are =. It's a start. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks Charles, that will help. Btw, can you briefly say how the heck you set up to get set accurate measurements? That whole 'fender droop' thread is very interesting. I'm still not convinced I'm not a mounting issue or that my left side even runs high (as apposed to the right drooping) possibly from a previous glass issue (that I can't see wo removing inner fenders).
I'm on hold under a foot of snow and -20º, so even w heat, my garage is not the best place to be right now. In the meantime, I'd still really appreciate someone - anyone who can provide the front end measurements at the beginning of this thread,thanks again C
You keep going back to your original request for those particular measurements which I can understand but you are new to the forum and I suggest you listen to the responses you have gotten.

I don’t understand your comments regarding the radiator and what bearing it has on any of this?
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 02:09 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 68hemi
You keep going back to your original request for those particular measurements which I can understand but you are new to the forum and I suggest you listen to the responses you have gotten.

I don’t understand your comments regarding the radiator and what bearing it has on any of this?
Thanks for your input. I have listened to all responses. Sorry for your confusion - the fg cracks emanate from the area around the body connects at the rad support, suggesting investigation in that area. As for my original request, guess i had no idea it would be so difficult to get the measurements.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:21 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks for your input. I have listened to all responses. Sorry for your confusion - the fg cracks emanate from the area around the body connects at the rad support, suggesting investigation in that area. As for my original request, guess i had no idea it would be so difficult to get the measurements.
This is the first mention I have seen of any fg cracking? Maybe you should start by telling us why you are concerned with this small height difference which is quite common in old cars?
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Took some quick measurements for you while I was out there working today from my 59 which should be the same as yours:

Floor to center of bumper 18"

Floor to top of headlight door 32"

Body behind wheel well to floor 8"

Both sides were dead on even on my car which had front end completely rebuilt and NOS correct GM springs.

Those dimensions correspond to your drawing on mine which is a no hit original body. How do your front bumpers align in relation to the body on both sides? Pilot Dan
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

If I understand correct, I assume you subtracted the height of the wood block from your measurements?
The height of my block makes no difference. The horizontal (level) line is just a datum plane. The measurements could be taken from any height as long as the line was level. You have to utilize the vertical measurements in relation to each other, not the datum line.
Charles
slyguy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:35 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Took some quick measurements for you while I was out there working today from my 59 which should be the same as yours:

Floor to center of bumper 18"

Floor to top of headlight door 32"

Body behind wheel well to floor 8"

Both sides were dead on even on my car which had front end completely rebuilt and NOS correct GM springs.

Those dimensions correspond to your drawing on mine which is a no hit original body. How do your front bumpers align in relation to the body on both sides? Pilot Dan
Thanks Pilot Dan. Very helpful. Please see attachment pic (I hope). Your measurements strongly suggest (or confirm) what I suspected - that my driver side (R in pic) is not 'low', but that the passenger side (L in pic) is 'high'. My driver side is 18/ 32 exactly same as yours. The passenger side is 19+/33+. The diff is even more obvious with the chrome and bumpers on. To answer your bumper Q - they don't. Here, the bumper mounts are just in place, not secured as the previous owner had bent and 'MacGivered' them (one support bracket was missing) to mount the bumpers. So with bumpers on, the problem looks even worse.Yet all my frame and shim measurements seem ok all around. This leads me to think I shall start my investigation on the fore passenger side...
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 front measurements

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 68hemi
This is the first mention I have seen of any fg cracking? Maybe you should start by telling us why you are concerned with this small height difference which is quite common in old cars?
Thanks 68 Hemi, while I was writing you I received from Pilot Dan my response is there. Yes, the fg cracking is in front of the rad at various seams - which is why I suspect the rad support mounts and or inner fenders - but until i got the #'s from PD, I wasn't sure which side to focus on. And the main concern, besides aesthetics is problem of bumper mounts. Looks like I start my investigation on the passenger side (once my garage gets above 0º) Thanks again, for your time on this one.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 PM
slyguy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
The height of my block makes no difference. The horizontal (level) line is just a datum plane. The measurements could be taken from any height as long as the line was level. You have to utilize the vertical measurements in relation to each other, not the datum line.
Charles
Gotchya!. Thanks, See Pilot Dan's input also, so between the two of your inputs, I can now start spending some cold nights in my garage!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Did you ever do a simple check of the wheel well lip height?
slyguy (12-27-2017)

Quick Reply: [C1] 1960 front measurements