C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thinking of a sea container

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

The secret is to keep it air tight like it is at Sea!

Dom
Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 AM
Mark Nevill
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Yes Tom the container

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Anyone here using one? Any complaints about owning one?

I have two car garage with a 8' ceiling so no room for a lift. I have an F-150 extra cab, 1957 Corvette, RZR 900 2 seater, 1966 Charger and a HD Road King. I have a large lot and I am thinking of buying a 40' sea container to keep everything under cover and secure.

I had my 61 project in a sea container for three years and it came out in the same condition it went in. Not even a smell, completely inert. Recommend it.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:14 AM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
The secret is to keep it air tight like it is at Sea!

Dom
The newer containers, since the 1980's, have small air vents so if they get lost at sea they draw water and sink. The older air tight containers were a seafaring hazard floating a foot below the surface.

I have two 40 foot high cube (9.5 foot OD) containers that I purchased about seven years ago. They are painted to match the well tanks, garage and house on my mom's property. They sit on about six inches of course DG, above the flash flood height, and are 30 feet apart (if I ever want to bridge a central awning between them). They are not an eyesore, and draw no NIMBY complaints.

Ventilation is achieved with low position foundation vents welded in each door, and a turbine vent in the roof at the opposite end. The Core 10 steel is tough to cut, and the impatient (like my father) resort to the cutting torch. They are secure to quick theft with anything less than the cutting torch.

It gets up to ambient temperature inside, but even at 115 dF desert heat, ot is better inside in the shade (and warmer than outside in minus ten winter). I have zero condensation issues. The black widows only nest webs near the foundation vents where food gets drawn in with the fresh air. No spiders nest three feet beyond the doors (leave a few feet between the doors and vehicle bumper for no spider surprises).

If you have room, and reasonable neighbors, and use some common sense ventilation and cosmetic touches, they are difficult to beat for the cost per square foot.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie the Fink (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 04:25 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Interesting about the vents, I guess they need to sink.
There are people making houses out of them and plans available. Saw some on line and couldn't tell the difference. I bought mine in Europe to ship my L29 jet in and also a Z-37 kerplunk plane in. Sold one because of space and thankfully it is spider proof.
It's almost like vacuum sealing things for me. All comes out just as put in.
I paid 1700.00 115 years ago and would pay double today if I had the space.

dom
Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have been thinking about getting one...and I know that if I do....I will go out and check on whats inside periodically. I know for me..I can not just close up what is inside and forget about it.

DUB
Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Well, I have one coming tomorrow.

I found a 28' semi trailer box (wheels removed) that has a roll up door. It is 102" wide. I believe it will sit closer to the ground than the sea containers. It has cross members on 12" centers with a wood/aluminum floor and plywood lined walls. It will give me room for my RZR 900 and my H.D. Road King and an extra 8' in length. This will allow me to move all of the shelving and extra tires and wheels that are hanging on the walls I have in the 2 car garage that limit my door opening space. I will be able to get my 1966 Charger in the garage with my 1957 Corvette and have door opening space for both cars.

I paid $1895. delivered and set from Phoenix to Cottonwood which is about 125 miles.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan25
I was about to raise the possible issue of condensation... then I noticed that you are in Arizona!
In the middle of the Arizona summer, I would be worried about heat. You may want to protect it from direct sun exposure...?
I'm in Michigan and I get no condensation.. in fact if suns out it gets warm inside in the middle of winter.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

If your neighbors don't like your sea container, do this to it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thinking of a sea container