C2 Paint Color Dilemma - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Paint Color Dilemma

Old 11-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
Huckleberry5464
CF Member

Default Paint Color Dilemma

Hey guys...I thought I had made a decision, but now I am having second thoughts. I am doing a restoration on a 64 coupe, I have a thread here showing the progress. The car was ermine white with dark blue interior from the factory. I don't know why, but personally I have never cared for white on C2s. No disrespect to those of you with white C2s. However, I love white on my 54. So here is my dilemma, I had it all set to paint the 64 silver blue, (I love that color) but now I am wondering if I should keep it the original color for history sake or silver blue because it's the color I love. The car is truly all numbers matching and being restored to original except for shocks, rear monospring, chambered exhaust and vintage air. What do you guys think? I need some advise and other points of view. I am still leaning towards silver blue, but I would like to hear what you all have to say. Thanks for your help!
Huckleberry5464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
jprop
CF Senior Member

Sounds you'll be a lot happier if you paint the car silver blue. I restored my 64. It was originally white but somebody had painted it red. I went back to the original white. I like it but I never would have ordered it in white. Then I bought a 67. I committed the ultimate sin and painted it a different color. It was originally a red car but I have always loved lynndale blue. So that's the color I picked. I like it a lot better than white.

(Excuse the crooked bumpers. They've been corrected!)

Still putting it back together after paint:

I'm very happy with my color change. I'm sure you would be, too!
jprop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
Huckleberry5464
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprop View Post
Sounds you'll be a lot happier if you paint the car silver blue. I restored my 64. It was originally white but somebody had painted it red. I went back to the original white. I like it but I never would have ordered it in white. Then I bought a 67. I committed the ultimate sin and painted it a different color. It was originally a red car but I have always loved lynndale blue. So that's the color I picked. I like it a lot better than white.

(Excuse the crooked bumpers. They've been corrected!)

Still putting it back together after paint:

I'm very happy with my color change. I'm sure you would be, too!
Lynndale blue is my favorite over all C2 color! If I ever had a 67 I would have to have that color too. I didn't do lynndale blue on the 64 because it was not avalible that year, otherwise it would be. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #4
ChattanoogaJSB
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Paint it the color you like- 100%. Unless it's a numbers matching fuelie/tanker/z06/owned by Mickey Mantle/etc.

there are are plenty of Numbers Matching restorations out there to satisfy that demand forever. And rest assured more will be turned out every year.

Life's short.

Another point of view is that I feel a color that buyers like in larger numbers will go over better than you think in coming years as the demand for strict originality continues to abate and the emphasis comes around to style and modern driving dynamics.

ChattanoogaJSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
DansYellow66
CF Senior Member

I agree paint it the color you like as long as you plan to keep the car for a good while. If planning to flip it within a few years - go back original. However, white in modern urethane BC/CC or even single stage pops like it never did back in the lacquer and enamel days. If your car had an older, dingy paint job the new paint in white may transform it.
DansYellow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
4 Speed Dave
CF Senior Member

There is only one color in my book. Black Baby!!

4 Speed Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member

I bought my '63 in 1969 from the original owner. It was originally Tuxedo Black with red interior. At one point he had painted it green (with red interior ), then later painted it black again. The last paint job was so horrid, I stripped it and painted it Steel Cities Gray in late 1970, a new color for the '71 Corvette.

I loved the color, but after 36 years in storage, it needed everything so I decided to go back to the original Tuxedo Black. I still think Steel Cities Gray looks awesome on the C2, but then so does Black...

My advice is paint it the color that makes you happiest.

Good luck... GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
pop23235
CF Senior Member

If you didn’t have an issue installing non original air,why would non original color be an Issue? It’s your car, paint it your choice.
pop23235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
morly1963
CF Senior Member

If you like silver-blue do it. If not every-time you look at your car you'll regret not doing it. The next owner can repaint it.
I have a silver-blue car and wish it was silver with a red interior.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

morly1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
Vettebuyer6369

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop23235 View Post
If you didnít have an issue installing non original air,why would non original color be an Issue? Itís your car, paint it your choice.
Im looking at installing vintage air in my SWC for driveabilityís sake. It wonít help the value, but I think itís easily corrected if necessary. Not so in a color change. I donít think the 2 choices are comparable.

OP, you will get all the usual answers here. If you keep the car for a long period, it sure helps if you love the color (which is why color is the #1 factor in my car shopping list). However if you sell, and most of us sell regardless of saying otherwise, most buyers will look at the incorrect color as a value deduction in the amount of correcting it. You will probably find a buyer who is less harsh, but thatís the reality of what you are talking about.
Vettebuyer6369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
Vettebuyer6369

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansYellow66 View Post
However, white in modern urethane BC/CC or even single stage pops like it never did back in the lacquer and enamel days. If your car had an older, dingy paint job the new paint in white may transform it.

I had a Ď63 roadster a few years back that I really, really wanted to paint black but I couldnít bring myself to do it. The stock Ermine White was dull to me. I eventually had it done in BC/CC white and it came out beautiful. I was surprised how nice that looked all fresh showing off the lines on a mid year. Just my experience.
Vettebuyer6369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
GTOguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Not a fan of white UNLESS it has a red or blue interior.....then it looks pretty classy. That said, your car, your choice. Go with your gut. I changed the color of my '67 GTO 25 years ago in and out from gold/gold to burgundy/ivory and have never regretted it. Car looks sooooo much better and gets many more comments than it did in its original washed-out color scheme.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Vitaminmopar
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB View Post
Paint it the color you like- 100%. Unless it's a numbers matching fuelie/tanker/z06/owned by Mickey Mantle/etc.

there are are plenty of Numbers Matching restorations out there to satisfy that demand forever. And rest assured more will be turned out every year.

Life's short.

Another point of view is that I feel a color that buyers like in larger numbers will go over better than you think in coming years as the demand for strict originality continues to abate and the emphasis comes around to style and modern driving dynamics.

Unless you have a museum quality car you should not be looking at it as an investment, therefore paint it the color that will make you happy. If you could order a new 1964 Corvette would you be buying a white car. Yes what we do to our cars does matter down the road. Look at the thread with the title 'The Ruin's of Midyear C2 63-67.' for examples. Bottom line is be happy or bend to peer pressure. The trim tag code may not matter to the next prospective owner after you. If it does he can keep looking. If I was looking I would not be in the market for a white car (plain), black car (hot, high maintenance and mutes body details) or silver car (always looks like it needs paint). Having stated this all C2s are beautiful no matter the color and I would even own a black one if that was the only color available.
Vitaminmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
capevettes
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2017
C2 of Month Winner 2016
C3 of Month Finalist 2015

With the cost of a paint job on a mid year Corvette it just makes good sense to me not to deviate from the trim tag. You will take a big hit on value after spending so much to paint it.
capevettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
hope2
CF Senior Member

Whatever you do check that front bumper alignment. Dark Blue inside kinda limits silver, silver blue or daytona blue.
hope2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
65GTO
CF Senior Member

Hi... Timely question. I have a similar question out there on the forum... go white or silver blue ??

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595957216

See post # 60 on this thread. Have not got any replies to my question, but could be because it is a post buried in my nose R+R thread.

All... If you would be so gracious... Pls add your comments to that thread

That said.. your white / silver blue question...

For me, on my 62, as I wrote, the black interior limits in my mind choices. I think, my color prefs, is that you are also correct.. that dark blue limits certain color combinations.

For me, that dark blue interior you have will serve equally well with either a white or a silver / blue exterior. So.. my 2 cents is don't fret over if white / blue looks better or worse than silver-blue / blue. I think they both are a equally appealing color combos for a blue interior.

Color you choose... My personal thoughts on it..
  1. My brother dcided he did not like the white (factory tagged color) of his 67. When time for a repaint came, he went with the Silver Pearl (which is sort of a silver / blue). Car looks great. He never had any regrets.
  2. On restoration of my 65 GTO.. i did not like the factory dark blue ext / black interior. Switched it all to Teal Turquoise ext / Parchment (aka.. cream) interior. I have never regretted it.
  3. On my 62 corvette, I am weighing the added work (see that post I provided the link to) all the extra work to go back to factory silver-blue, vs keeping it the current white. This not because the factory color was silver-blue, it is because I think I like the silver-blue more than I like white.
Bottom line.. go with what you like.. you will not regret it. But I suspect you will always regret not going with the color you like.

Jim

Last edited by 65GTO; 11-22-2017 at 04:25 PM.
65GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry5464 View Post
Lynndale blue is my favorite over all C2 color! If I ever had a 67 I would have to have that color too. I didn't do lynndale blue on the 64 because it was not avalible that year, otherwise it would be. Thanks for the reply.
If you are not going with the original paint, I'm not understanding why it matters if the color you like most was not offered that year?
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
Huckleberry5464
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
If you are not going with the original paint, I'm not understanding why it matters if the color you like most was not offered that year?
Thanks for the reply...I just wanted to at least keep it in a color that was s avalible for 1964.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huckleberry5464 For This Useful Post:
Aerovette (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry5464 View Post
Thanks for the reply...I just wanted to at least keep it in a color that was s avalible for 1964.
If it were me and I was already going non-original, I'd pick my favorite color regardless. Unless you are selling it, you are the one that should enjoy everything about it.

Kind of like people that remodel their house and make decisions based on resale. Let the next owner do what they want with it. I want to live in a house that is to my liking.

Good luck with your decision either way.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Huckleberry5464
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop23235 View Post
If you didnít have an issue installing non original air,why would non original color be an Issue? Itís your car, paint it your choice.
Thanks for the reply...Just because I could always remove the vintage air if needed along with the aftermarket suspension and chambered exhaust. That could be done in a couple of weekends. An other repaint is a different story and would be a huge expense of course.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [C2] Paint Color Dilemma
  •