C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-1 (62) dash pad end caps installation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:14 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Default C-1 (62) dash pad end caps installation?

Getting ready to install the dash pad end caps and was looking for any advice/lesson learned for installing the caps and windlace behind them. I know I will have to trim some of the windlace back (and remove the foam core) but if any of you have any techniques that would make this easier, it would be appreciated. About to finish this project up!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:27 PM
adurso19@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy
Getting ready to install the dash pad end caps and was looking for any advice/lesson learned for installing the caps and windlace behind them. I know I will have to trim some of the windlace back (and remove the foam core) but if any of you have any techniques that would make this easier, it would be appreciated. About to finish this project up!
From my experience on my 1960, I've had to remove the cap and stretch the windlace because I didn't leave enough slack and the end pulled out. That's the only problem I had with the windlace.
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Its a measure twice cut once type of proposition.

You have to slit the windlace to expose the foam to cut it back so the windlace can be collapsed under the end caps...

Might pay to mount the end cap temporarily and lay the windlace up against it to approximate where to trim things for the proper look. I don't recall if I did that on my 61 but I prob should have..
jcchevy (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I will assume you have the windlace attached to the kick panels and they are installed on the car.

What I did on my '60 was tape the windlace in position on the end of the dash pad. Then I placed the end cap over the windlace (end cap down tight from the top) to get the approximate mark where the foam must be removed. Mark at the very bottom of the end cap. Also mark the upper end of the windlace to where it is the full length of the end cap - so it will just fit inside. The long tail under the end cap will help hold it in place better than a short tail. Then I cut the upper end of the windlace off at that mark and then slit the windlace just short (high side to the top) of that bottom mark and removed the foam at that same mark.

Taped the windlace back on the dash pad, fit the end cap again - this time in its final position, and made marks to trim any slight excess as necessary for a flush fit.

Did a final dry fit and, once I was satisfied, flattened and taped the windlace on the dash pad end (so that the end cap screws would go through the windlace vinyl that is under the end cap), and installed the end cap with the screws.

Mine fits and looks very nice IMO and will not pull out.

Essentially the same procedure as Frankie outlined except I went to a couple of extra steps to ensure I had a good looking and tight finish that won't pull out.

Terry

Last edited by 427390HP; 12-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.
jcchevy (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 427390HP
I will assume you have the windlace attached to the kick panels and they are installed on the car.

What I did on my '60 was tape the windlace in position on the end of the dash pad. Then I placed the end cap over the windlace (end cap down tight from the top) to get the approximate mark where the foam must be removed. Mark at the very bottom of the end cap. Also mark the upper end of the windlace to where it is the full length of the end cap - so it will just fit inside. The long tail under the end cap will help hold it in place better than a short tail. Then I cut the upper end of the windlace off at that mark and then slit the windlace just short (high side to the top) of that bottom mark and removed the foam at that same mark.

Taped the windlace back on the dash pad, fit the end cap again - this time in its final position, and made marks to trim any slight excess as necessary for a flush fit.

Did a final dry fit and, once I was satisfied, flattened and taped the windlace on the dash pad end (so that the end cap screws would go through the windlace vinyl that is under the end cap), and installed the end cap with the screws.

Mine fits and looks very nice IMO and will not pull out.

Essentially the same procedure as Frankie outlined except I went to a couple of extra steps to ensure I had a good looking and tight finish that won't pull out.

Terry
Sounds like a very good approach! Will give it a try, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C-1 (62) dash pad end caps installation?

Quick Reply: C-1 (62) dash pad end caps installation?