C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting Restoration on the '63

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:20 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Well, the wire is MIA on my coupe (#1318) but the screw and the terminal are still there.
Rich
P.S. I have no idea why this pic rotated on me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

I have a picture of what I believe is the correct wire and screws for the E-63 glove box light ground but i want to get permission from the car owner before i post it.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

With permission, I wanted to post this picture of the E-63 glove box light ground wire for anyone that's interested. I believe this to be original from a very low mileage E-63 car and this arrangement would have been used until the lower support came into production on the assembly line.

Thank you James for the pictures.
Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Thanks for the pics tbarb. And that is the wire attached to the same side as the VIN plate correct?

Also, a few pics of more items I have removed.

Pat

Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Pat,

Yes, same side as the trim tag and vin plate. You will find a small drilled hole to the left of the trim tag.

Was there a bezel around the radio opening? I don't know when the vinyl dash started, maybe someone can comment, my second week November coupe has a smooth dash. Do you recall if the screws that held the instrument cluster to the dash were sheet metal type or a machine thread. The slide on nuts look like they go with a sheet metal screw and that would be correct for a early 63, later on the screw and nut changed to a machine thread.

I need to edit and clarify my post, if the car serial # is approx 3200 or earlier the dash is smooth and after that time the vinyl dash center started.

Plus, after approx serial #3700 the lower glove box support started so Pat's car may not even have a glove box ground wire.

Last edited by tbarb; 01-11-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:05 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Making solid progress, Pat!

Great thread.

The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The lower inside windshield trim is unbuffed body color. Andy Cannizzo is the shifter console guy. Also horns and rocker molding restoration.
ptjsk (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Thanks for the pics tbarb. And that is the wire attached to the same side as the VIN plate correct?

Also, a few pics of more items I have removed.

Pat

Speaker grill fits good a lot of them stick up are you going to fill that crack and sand blend it back and get the leather dye from Corvette America Install speaker now they are hard to get to later.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The lower inside windshield trim is unbuffed body color. Andy Cannizzo is the shifter console guy. Also horns and rocker molding restoration.

Frank,

You probably meant to say lower windshield trim is low gloss dash pad color.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
Frank,

You probably meant to say lower windshield trim is low gloss dash pad color.
That would be correct! I forget not everybody has the same int/ext colors. Thanks.And yes. Decide now on original vs solid state radio and install the appropriate speaker as you can’t “mix and match’ later on. The speakers are unique in each case.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.
ptjsk (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Pat,

Yes, same side as the trim tag and vin plate. You will find a small drilled hole to the left of the trim tag.

Was there a bezel around the radio opening? I don't know when the vinyl dash started, maybe someone can comment, my second week November coupe has a smooth dash. Do you recall if the screws that held the instrument cluster to the dash were sheet metal type or a machine thread. The slide on nuts look like they go with a sheet metal screw and that would be correct for a early 63, later on the screw and nut changed to a machine thread.

I need to edit and clarify my post, if the car serial # is approx 3200 or earlier the dash is smooth and after that time the vinyl dash center started.

Plus, after approx serial #3700 the lower glove box support started so Pat's car may not even have a glove box ground wire.
No, there was no bezel around the radio.

Our '63 is a fourth week build of November '62. November 28th is what has been determined.

The screws holding the instruments in place were sheet metal type.

My car is #4035, and I cannot find any evidence of a ground wire.

Problem on the console is you can see where somebody placed a manual choke on the right side, just about the clock, and there was another cable mounted on the left side. Again, just above the clock.

Thanks for all of the great information!

Pat
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rtruman
Speaker grill fits good a lot of them stick up are you going to fill that crack and sand blend it back and get the leather dye from Corvette America Install speaker now they are hard to get to later.
No, I'm going to go ahead and replace the pads.

I sure don't think the pads have been replaced before, but the interior color is dark blue.

The current pads look to be black, but the dark blue is so close it just makes it hard to tell. Even the sun visors appear to be black, but upon close inspection, they're definitely dark blue.

Maybe I'm going color blind!!

I will definitely assemble everything possible prior to placing the dash back into the car. But that's a long way off right now.

Pat
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptjsk
No, there was no bezel around the radio.

Our '63 is a fourth week build of November '62. November 28th is what has been determined.

The screws holding the instruments in place were sheet metal type.

My car is #4035, and I cannot find any evidence of a ground wire.

Problem on the console is you can see where somebody placed a manual choke on the right side, just about the clock, and there was another cable mounted on the left side. Again, just above the clock.

Thanks for all of the great information!

Pat
Pat,

I am happy to help, when I had my car all apart there was no internet and getting information was much more difficult. I gotta laugh at all these E-63 tidbits but in some ways knowing these things may save you some work.

Also, double check on the bezel around the radio, it's been my understanding that with the vinyl dash covering the bezel was used but your car is probably so early with the vinyl that it may not have been used.

Thank you for posting a picture of the windshield showing the clips and where they were positioned around the lower frame. All those clips look completely reusable to me.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Pat,

I am happy to help, when I had my car all apart there was no internet and getting information was much more difficult. I gotta laugh at all these E-63 tidbits but in some ways knowing these things may save you some work.

Also, double check on the bezel around the radio, it's been my understanding that with the vinyl dash covering the bezel was used but your car is probably so early with the vinyl that it may not have been used.

Thank you for posting a picture of the windshield showing the clips and where they were positioned around the lower frame. All those clips look completely reusable to me.
Yea, boy the internet definitely makes it easier, especially when fellow forum members (such as yourself), respond to questions.

I sent the console pieces into Andy (as Frankie had suggested), and then continued on with taking apart the dash.

It all came out pretty darn easy. I thought the vinyl was going to cause me big problems, but as soon as I heated it up with the heat gun, the vinyl would peel off pretty easily.

I'll have to fill the two top holes on the face of the waterfall, as somebody put a couple of cables on each side. The one on the right was utilized as a choke for the Holly carburetor, and I still don't know what the cable on the left side was doing.

A couple of more pics.

Thanks again for all your help,

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 01-14-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

When you get your console back from Andy invest in one of those over-priced, clear plastic C2 cup holders. I hate 'em but they'll keep that console from getting dinged up and it removes easily for shows/judging/etc. Sand the sharp edges smooth before use! All the vendors have them.

While you are this far into the cockpit take a good, hard, critical look at your seat belts...if they are the least bit frayed, threadbare or worn...store 'em somewhere and get some nice, safe repros; as you know I speak from painful experience...

seatbeltsplus makes a VERY nice OEM style, 3-panel, brushed stainless buckle, 63-only repro that won't break the bank in all the 63 colors for a tad over $100. I had just installed them into my SWC about two weeks before my 'incident'...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-14-2018 at 09:24 PM.
ptjsk (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

seatbeltsplus makes a VERY nice OEM style, 3-panel, brushed stainless buckle, 63-only repro that won't break the bank in all the 63 colors for a tad over $100. I had just installed them into my SWC about two weeks before my 'incident'...
Good info Frank, thanks.

BTW, on the male portion-------are they a "D" ring design or a "Double C" (for the lack of a better term)?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

When you get your console back from Andy invest in one of those over-priced, clear plastic C2 cup holders. I hate 'em but they'll keep that console from getting dinged up and it removes easily for shows/judging/etc. Sand the sharp edges smooth before use! All the vendors have them.

While you are this far into the cockpit take a good, hard, critical look at your seat belts...if they are the least bit frayed, threadbare or worn...store 'em somewhere and get some nice, safe repros; as you know I speak from painful experience...

Thanks a lot for the information Frankie!

I will keep plugging along here.

Pat

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Restoration on the '63

Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Good info Frank, thanks.

BTW, on the male portion-------are they a "D" ring design or a "Double C" (for the lack of a better term)?

Every repo belts I've seen are like the bottom photo, double "C"
Old 01-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

A pic of the seatbeltsplus repro DS male latch...the very one I was wearing during the accident. Taken this morning; as I said, these are nice repros for about $100. You could sew some Irving Air Chute repro labels on these and 99% of folks wouldn't have a clue.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-15-2018 at 07:53 AM.
426 Hemi (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Thanks Frank for clearing that up.

I was a little confused. On their webpage here: http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/categor...eat-belts.html if you roll over the picture of OE-1963, the picture changes to a brushed buckle with a Double C male end:

Rolled over:

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 01-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Starting Restoration on the '63