Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Restoration on the '63

 
Old 12-12-2017, 01:12 AM
  #1  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,500
Received 583 Likes on 428 Posts
Default Starting Restoration on the '63

Well, it looks like I'm getting started on the '63.

May do this one a little differently.

I'm trying to clean up the items as I take them off. Then I'll store them accordingly, until I need the items for assembly.

A few pics of the glovebox I did today. I still need to polish out the center of the door.

And final masking of the grill, so I can bead blast the mounts.











Last edited by ptjsk; 12-12-2017 at 01:28 AM.
ptjsk is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 AM
  #2  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 49,999
Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Default

I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted. You can't feel the raised "Corvette Sting Ray" logo on an original door front...its inside the plastic coating (if so DON'T polish) - but again, you may be happy with the door you have.

I also assume you know to use the glove box reinforcing rod added later in the model year to prevent cracks....

The ONE mod I make to factory wiring is to put a bullet connector in the orange wire to the glove box light - its ALWAYS hot and disconnecting it from the light socket means disassembling that finicky socket to remove the glove box. Then you have that bare power lead dangling about. This mod makes removing the glove box later on a breeze.

The male end of the connector should go on the glove box side (the insulated female end on the power source side)..otherwise you need to tape off that connector temporarily while working on other things on the car that require power.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-12-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Frankie the Fink is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
bigearl56 (12-12-2017), GUSTO14 (12-12-2017), ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 AM
  #3  
tbarb
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Posts: 2,481
Received 283 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Plus FWIW, the ground path for that glove box light is through the lower support bracket that's bolted to the cross brace. prior to that (early 63) there was a small hole in the cross brace and a short ground wire from brace to glove box frame.

Maybe someone will post a picture of the wire,

I think your parts are going to turn out great.
tbarb is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 AM
  #4  
Easy Rhino
CF Senior Member
 
Easy Rhino's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: Chesapeake Virginia
Posts: 19,377
Received 882 Likes on 659 Posts
Default

Looking forward to following your build, Pat.

I can't imagine that it would turn out any less stunning than your '62.
Easy Rhino is online now  
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 AM
  #5  
rtruman
CF Senior Member
 
rtruman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,922
Received 197 Likes on 170 Posts
Default

Check heater core while your at it
rtruman is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
  #6  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,500
Received 583 Likes on 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted. You can't feel the raised "Corvette Sting Ray" logo on an original door front...its inside the plastic coating (if so DON'T polish) - but again, you may be happy with the door you have.

I also assume you know to use the glove box reinforcing rod added later in the model year to prevent cracks....

The ONE mod I make to factory wiring is to put a bullet connector in the orange wire to the glove box light - its ALWAYS hot and disconnecting it from the light socket means disassembling that finicky socket to remove the glove box. Then you have that bare power lead dangling about. This mod makes removing the glove box later on a breeze.

The male end of the connector should go on the glove box side (the insulated female end on the power source side)..otherwise you need to tape off that connector temporarily while working on other things on the car that require power.

Hey Frankie,

I probably used the wrong terminology when I said "polish", as I'm just attempting to clean it up. I don't wish to polish it out.

Also, thanks a lot for the heads up on the wiring issue. I'm looking forward to soliciting your expertise and advise on several items as I work on the '63.

The VIN does make this an early car (November '62).

I'm still disappointed that the horns don't appear to be correct!!! I still can't imagine why someone would take out the horns and replace them with other delco horns. Especially, several decades ago as the car has been sitting since '93/'94.

But with a car that's closing in on 55 years old, I'm sure there's a lot of history there that may never be understood! LOL!







Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 12-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
ptjsk is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM
  #7  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,500
Received 583 Likes on 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rtruman View Post
Check heater core while your at it
Yea, it's all coming out. I'm just slowly pulling it apart right now. On many of the items, I'm going to go ahead and clean them up, wrap them in bubble wrap and store them until I get ready to assemble the car again.

My wish is to get it completely pulled apart, and restore the chassis over the winter.

Pat
ptjsk is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
  #8  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 49,999
Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Default

Andy Cannizzo can make you a set of date-coded 63 one-year-only horns (no cores required)...you'll have to dig pretty deep in your wallet (ugh!). If you find a set of cores then Andy or Joe Perri can make them like new.

Lots of reasons horns got swapped out (crash damage - ask me how I know), they just plain quit working.....or somebody R&R'ed them and installed them incorrectly with the trumpet openings facing skyward collecting water like rain barrels so they eventually failed. The AIM is a bit fanciful showing how they are mounted...when you get to the job I can post pictures of how to do it...
Frankie the Fink is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
  #9  
rene-paul
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Captain Cook Hawaii
Posts: 770
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Speaking of Andy, please consider having him restore your center console pieces. When he is finished with them they are a work of art. Plus he is the only one that does these.
Thumbs up for Joe Perri, he restored one of my original horns and sold me a matching one as I had one missing. Keep us informed.
Rene
rene-paul is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM
  #10  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 49,999
Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Default

Andy is making noise about retiring any time now. If ANYbody needs ANYthimg done by him I wouldn’t play around.
Frankie the Fink is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:21 PM
  #11  
426 Hemi
CF Senior Member
 
426 Hemi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Coldwater MI
Posts: 2,739
Received 297 Likes on 203 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted.
Frankie, that inside of the door looks great!

Did you strip the paint from one of the repro doors?
426 Hemi is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
  #12  
Dr L-88
CF Senior Member
 
Dr L-88's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Richmond Kentucky
Posts: 4,851
Received 450 Likes on 224 Posts
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by ptjsk View Post

I'm still disappointed that the horns don't appear to be correct!!! I still can't imagine why someone would take out the horns and replace them with other delco horns. Especially, several decades ago as the car has been sitting since '93/'94.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I, like most others on the forum, am excited and anxious to follow your restoration. No doubt it will be another "stellar Pat restoration", just like anything you touch.

I have several original horns and if you tell me which numbers you need I will check to see if I can help you out. Don't get your hopes up, but IF I do have some, all I need is your mailing address and they will be heading your way.

Good luck with everything.

Rex
Dr L-88 is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM
  #13  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 49,999
Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi View Post
Frankie, that inside of the door looks great!

Did you strip the paint from one of the repro doors?
No sir!

I found an original 63 door back, stripped the paint off of that item and glued my original front onto it...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Frankie the Fink is offline  
The following users liked this post:
426 Hemi (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
  #14  
OC-1
CF Senior Member
 
OC-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: nj
Posts: 1,371
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
No sir!

I found an original 63 door back, stripped the paint off of that item and glued my original front onto it...
what glue did you use?
OC-1 is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 PM
  #15  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,500
Received 583 Likes on 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr L-88 View Post
Hi Pat,

I, like most others on the forum, am excited and anxious to follow your restoration. No doubt it will be another "stellar Pat restoration", just like anything you touch.

I have several original horns and if you tell me which numbers you need I will check to see if I can help you out. Don't get your hopes up, but IF I do have some, all I need is your mailing address and they will be heading your way.

Good luck with everything.

Rex
Thanks for the kinds comments Rex!

I'm pretty sure the numbers on the horns are 455 & 456.

It looks like these are pretty valuable when and if you do have them. Hopefully you do have a set and we can definitely work out a price for them.

Best wishes to you and the Mrs for a very Merry Christmas. I know the time is valuable to the both of you.

Take care,

Pat
ptjsk is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM
  #16  
ptjsk
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
ptjsk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California CA
Posts: 3,500
Received 583 Likes on 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
No sir!

I found an original 63 door back, stripped the paint off of that item and glued my original front onto it...
Also, it looks like the way the "rod stops" are attached to the back of the door differ a little bit from the earlier ones as well.
ptjsk is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
  #17  
tbarb
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Posts: 2,481
Received 283 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptjsk View Post
Also, it looks like the way the "rod stops" are attached to the back of the door differ a little bit from the earlier ones as well.
My 63 is a second week November build and the door back looks like the picture Frank posted. It seems as if someone changed the door back plus added the lower support shown in the first post. Is the cross brace just a drilled hole where the support bolts up. Frank's pictures may show a welded nut attached to the cross brace for the support bolts.
tbarb is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 04:51 PM
  #18  
Kerrmudgeon
CF Senior Member
 
Kerrmudgeon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: The Great White North. Mellowing with age like fine wine!
Posts: 18,002
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,172 Posts
Default

Are you going bone stock Pat?....or a little sneaky stuff under the hood.....nudge nudge wink wink....
Kerrmudgeon is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM
  #19  
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Frankie the Fink's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando Metro Area Florida
Posts: 49,999
Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OC-1 View Post
what glue did you use?
I used some two part epoxy (forget exactly what type) SPARINGLY...it doesn't take much. The picture below shows how little there was on the original door when I separated the front..
Attached Images  
Frankie the Fink is offline  
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  #20  
Blk63Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Blk63Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Sarasota Florida
Posts: 2,576
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Andy Cannizzo can make you a set of date-coded 63 one-year-only horns (no cores required)...you'll have to dig pretty deep in your wallet (ugh!). If you find a set of cores then Andy or Joe Perri can make them like new.

Lots of reasons horns got swapped out (crash damage - ask me how I know), they just plain quit working.....or somebody R&R'ed them and installed them incorrectly with the trumpet openings facing skyward collecting water like rain barrels so they eventually failed. The AIM is a bit fanciful showing how they are mounted...when you get to the job I can post pictures of how to do it...
1963 Buick Rivera horns look identical to Corvette ones expect for the numbers. I think they sound the same and cost alot less $$$$$ I paid 50 bucks for working ones.
Blk63Vette is offline  
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-12-2017)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting Restoration on the '63


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: