C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Giving up #'s matching

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I don't know but I would rather avoid a warranty claim by heading off a build problem that would cause a claim along with the aggravation of time wasted and time without the enjoyment of having a running car.
What do you think the manufacturer would tell you if you said you took it apart before you installed it to avoid a warranty claim? You will void the warranty if you take it apart, and it would be easy for the manufacturer to tell. A crate motor that has a real problem would become your problem and not the manufacturers. Just order one from a company with a good reputation and install it. I have, and I've had no issues.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Theoretical question: what if the person tearing down and rebuilding the brand new crate engine has a skill level lower than the skill of the original builder? What purpose would this tear down serve?

What if this second builder who paid to have the supplier build the engine manages to mangle up this new engine? I'm going to have to say that any warranty would be obviated at this point. Actually, I'm wondering how the warrantee would work if the buyer/second builder opens it up and finds a problem, but let's table that one for now.

Would this second tear down go to the level of magnafluxing ferrous parts? Replacing torque to yield bolts? Checking rod straightness? Gapping rings? How would supplied parts like rod bolts be verified as correct?

On the other hand, if a person has sufficient expertise to do as good or better than a supplier, why not build it yourself? Particularly if you're gong to tear it down anyway.

Just wondering.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,614 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
My diff is probably the thing I worry about the most. What the best path here, just get a built 65+ and bolt it in or can the 64 be saved with new internals ?
In a perfect, textbook world -not governed by fast work for quick profit you would be able to buy a rebuilt diff and install it and be done. I know I am being a bit cynical but I have been doing these a long time and repaired more "rebuilt" work then I can recall. To answer your question, if you have a 63-64 diff you can build it to application but it will need all new internals. The 65-68's were slightly better but had crack issues with the posi case design, the 69-71 had the better posi design, the 72-79 had minor revisions but had the better spiders. There wasn't a perfect production built diff between 63-82, they all had different issues- some more so then others. The good news is built to application they are pretty strong. Notice I said built to application which is not a common master kit stock rebuild. Replacing bearings and seals doesn't address areas that need attention. The 63-4's had weak posi's and pinions.

Last edited by GTR1999; 12-23-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I curious to know how far you recommend “opening” the engine. Pulling pistons, checking ring gap, miking everything, valve sealing, etc.?
Seems to me, that if you’re going to do that, you might as well build your own engine.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (01-07-2018)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:04 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

From and the warranty is pretty much worthless. Chevrolet tells you to go to one of their dealers but the dealers turn you away stating they do not have the equipment to deal with this engine transplanted in our old cars.
You to? They screwed me on an LS crate engine, same deal.."take it to any GM Dealer"... "we don't work on stuff that old" . I tell everyone I can not to buy from GM or Summit Racing.

I have heard good things about these guys but have never purchased from them.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ch...orsepower.html
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I would think any manufacturer that had a major warranty failure would want to dissect it to make sure they don't have a couple dozen more in the field ready to break. We've used rod bolt stretch gauges whenever a rod came flying through the pan just to eliminate the loose rod bolt scenario. I'm sure there are other methods to tell what went wrong. And if my $6,000 crate motor came apart I would rather be responsible for the R&R than be told "Too bad you messed with it."
Old 12-22-2017, 06:28 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

let me think about this for a moment, I buy a crate motor for 3 to 6 grand, with a warranty, and I have it torn down to make sure it was put together correctly, all this for piece of mind, Im buying the crate motor for piece of mind. I realize that many folks may not have the skill to build their own but for me before I buy a crate motor and have it torn down I will build it myself, I have been continplating doing an LS swap, but I wont go the crate route, there are plenty of low mileage LS motors out there, Freshen it up go with GM's hot cam and your over 400hp . My daily driver is an 06 GTO with an LS2 The GTO is heavy and that motor makes it feel awful light, I love my 365 but it really pales in comparison to the LS. Question, if you bought a crate LS7 or LSA, and we are talking about 13 to 18 grand, would you have those torn down as well?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:48 PM
JRZR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have your original engine?
I do. Currently plan to pack it in transmission fluid and store it and other take offs for the next owner....you know that guy 10-12 years down the pike.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 PM
JRZR
Intermediate

Thanks, guys. Right now, i'm sure i'll use a 5 speed Tremec, maybe from Hurst. My best guess is a 383 FI and new rear-gears. Long way to go. Keeping my fingers crossed. I appreciate all the help.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:51 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JRZR
Difficult decision, but I've decided to abandon this numbers matching business with my '64. Going to new crate power and 5 speed. I'd like the engine to stay around 25hp either side of 400. Questions are (1) what's the best engine choice? (2) who's the best vendor? carburetor or fuel injection?(3) replace the differential or no? I'd like to add power steering, power disc brakes and A/C. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
You said you still have your original engine but you did not say what h.p. version it is?

You can easily have both your matching numbers and the power you want by using your original block with a 383 stroker kit. I would use the new aluminum double hump heads made I believe by Trick Flow that look like original GM heads. You won't have to do any head work just use them out of the box. You can use a L79 intake, carb and hydraulic cam and EASILY be at 425 h.p. or more with 2 1/2" factory exhaust manifolds. Your engine will look like a 1964 365 h.p. factory engine with the correct air cleaner and you can continue to use your factory valve covers.

If you choose to run F.I. instead of the factory set up indicated above and you sell it to someone that relishes the factory look they can just take it off and add the intake and carb suggested above. It keeps your options opened and will widen your sales audience when you do sell the car. If I were going to use the 5 speed I would keep the 4 speed shift plate and you will have a very stealth set up. You can add the PS, disc brakes and Vintage Air without effecting your value except to the positive. It will all make for a nice drivable, comfortable car.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:54 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Attachment 48351762
Old 12-23-2017, 08:07 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

why not just go thru ,your eng,still looks stock and runs great?
Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
why not just go thru ,your eng,still looks stock and runs great?
that would be to easy
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And not gain a whole lot.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 12:54 AM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 410 Posts

You said you still have your original engine but you did not say what h.p. version it is?

You can easily have both your matching numbers and the power you want by using your original block with a 383 stroker kit. I would use the new aluminum double hump heads made I believe by Trick Flow that look like original GM heads. You won't have to do any head work just use them out of the box. You can use a L79 intake, carb and hydraulic cam and EASILY be at 425 h.p. or more with 2 1/2" factory exhaust manifolds. Your engine will look like a 1964 365 h.p. factory engine with the correct air cleaner and you can continue to use your factory valve covers.

If you choose to run F.I. instead of the factory set up indicated above and you sell it to someone that relishes the factory look they can just take it off and add the intake and carb suggested above. It keeps your options opened and will widen your sales audience when you do sell the car. If I were going to use the 5 speed I would keep the 4 speed shift plate and you will have a very stealth set up. You can add the PS, disc brakes and Vintage Air without effecting your value except to the positive. It will all make for a nice drivable, comfortable car.

I agree with this type of approach. It's a straightforward drop-in to stroke a '64 327 to 350 by just turning down the main journals of a forged 350 crank. With careful attention to rod selection, you can go to 362 or 383 CID with minimal clearance grinding on the block.

In terms of power production, there is no difference between a 383 built from a '64 block and one built from a newer block. Aside from the cam, the only important aspects of the short block for power production are the displacement and the compression.

With the original block stroked to 350 to 383 CID, you can maintain 100% original appearance using the stock heads and intake, or maintain 95% original appearance and get more power with the new Trick Flow double-hump heads and a Z28/LT1 intake.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Theoretical question: what if the person tearing down and rebuilding the brand new crate engine has a skill level lower than the skill of the original builder? What purpose would this tear down serve?

What if this second builder who paid to have the supplier build the engine manages to mangle up this new engine? I'm going to have to say that any warranty would be obviated at this point. Actually, I'm wondering how the warrantee would work if the buyer/second builder opens it up and finds a problem, but let's table that one for now.

Would this second tear down go to the level of magnafluxing ferrous parts? Replacing torque to yield bolts? Checking rod straightness? Gapping rings? How would supplied parts like rod bolts be verified as correct?

On the other hand, if a person has sufficient expertise to do as good or better than a supplier, why not build it yourself? Particularly if you're gong to tear it down anyway.

Just wondering.
You've stated exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

A good running LS1 can be picked up at the junkyard for $1000 +/-. LS3s are a bit more pricey, but probably worth it. Those are good choices if you are OK with the LS look.

Me personally, I’m not a huge fan of the LS look unless it’s a full restomod. For my 61, I pulled the original engine, and I’m building a moderate 327 bored and stroked to 360 for it. It will still have the original look, and better build quality than a standard crate engine for less $$$.

I thought about going 383, but got a really good price on a forged small journal 350 crank, so I went that way.

Last edited by Drothgeb; 12-26-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Giving up #'s matching

Old 12-26-2017, 11:44 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

This.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:27 PM
JRZR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JRZR
I do. Currently plan to pack it in transmission fluid and store it and other take offs for the next owner....you know that guy 10-12 years down the pike.
It's a 300 hp. All original.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM
JRZR
Intermediate

One other question. Does anyone offer a disc brake package (front and rear) that will allow me to continue to use the aluminum knock off wheels?

Quick Reply: [C2] Giving up #'s matching