C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Interesting 65 on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Tighty Whities here...Big Jim and the Twins need the support. TMI?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Rare does not always equate to desirable and that is an individual thing. If someone wants to pay it for this car that is their business. I look at thinks from a different comparison point of view. I used to put a lot of value on A/C in a C2 but no longer do. I don't need to drive one when the temp is high enough to use it. I will drive something else. I fought trying to keep a C2 with A/C cool in Phoenix for years and found it not to be worth it.

Regarding the subject car with the combo of 365 h.p. A/C and no radio is not appealing to me at all. I LIKE a radio, I have had a 365 h.p. car which I liked, and I have had both small and big block A/C cars and they are not worth the aggravation to me.

Maybe some of the other people here should step back and review what this kind of money can buy elsewhere.

For the kind of money people are eluding to this car being worth I would much rather have any of the other below cars for less or the same money.

1957--60 FI
1965 FI
1965--1967 big block
There are also those who just can't get their heads around why the '63 coupe commands such a premium over any other midyear, what with that fugly, rear view obstructing piece of fiberglass which even Zora hated running right down it's spine. Some folks will never get it; for them there is no justification to pay more for such a car.

I, of course, am not unbiased in my appraisal of the '65 L76 a/c coupe since I have one in my garage, and though there's no question about the desirability of a fuelie - I want one! - it's hard to make an argument against what was in 1965 probably America's closest thing to a true Grand Touring car. A fuelie couldn't be fitted with air because the intake ducting occupied too much real estate.

When the car is sorted out and working as the engineers intended, believe me -- it ain't a bad way to cruise Mulholland Highway on a sunny summer Sunday.

Within reasonable parameters the a/c system on C2 Vettes work quite well. I wouldn't expect a black on black car left sitting for 4 hours in 100 degree heat with 95% humidity to cool down to 68 degees within 5 minutes, but fortunately mine never sees those conditions. Truthfully I almost never use the aircon but it's cool to have ;-)

Radio delete? Rare but I doubt it adds value to the car. Same as a 3-speed manual or drums on a '65 -- rare but not so cool

Last edited by SW Vette; 01-17-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:18 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by provette67
I hear what you are saying. Everyone will value things differently. Depending on age,location,personal preference or pocketbook. Example some prefer boxers, some prefer boxer briefs, some prefer bikini briefs,some prefer a thong and some have to a have adult diapers and I mean have to have them. Depending on which category someone falls in the other categories aren't really worth much.
Right? I mean we could argue against fuelies by saying they're finicky to keep in tune, prone to percolation in hot weather, don't run very well on unleaded pump gas, and aren't worth all the extra trouble. But folks still love 'em and they'll always be worth more money. We could argue against big blocks by saying they put too much weight up front and spoil the car's perfect balance, tend to overheat in traffic on hot days, make it hotter inside the cockpit, and worst of all, they get lousy gas mileage - but hey, some folks like 'em anyway
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Tim Gilmore
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

This 175,000 mile car was every bit as tired as the blue '65 on ebay. The chassis looked just the same. It didn't have damaged body panels, though. I worked this car for hundreds of hours and have done lots to maintain its originality instead of restoring it. Here it is at the San Antonio Nationals last year. It has two Top Flight awards scoring 97% last time out. It is also a Bloomington Survivor. If you are willing to work hard, you can preserve them.
I also love to drive this car, stone chips don't bother me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Gilmore
This 175,000 mile car was every bit as tired as the blue '65 on ebay. The chassis looked just the same. It didn't have damaged body panels, though. I worked this car for hundreds of hours and have done lots to maintain its originality instead of restoring it. Here it is at the San Antonio Nationals last year. It has two Top Flight awards scoring 97% last time out. It is also a Bloomington Survivor. If you are willing to work hard, you can preserve them.
Cool looking car. Great that you went the preservation route
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Tim Gilmore
Racer

P.S. I would have been upside down had I wanted to restore this car. My only option was to preserve and clean. My labor was free (and worth every penny :-)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:26 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Your car may of been tired at one time but the condition was not even close to the ebay car. Sharp
Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

.......I worked this car for hundreds of hours and have done lots to maintain its originality instead of restoring it.........
Looks Great

I absolutely love the unrestored cars.
Do whatever you can to keep it that way.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Your car may of been tired at one time but the condition was not even close to the ebay car. Sharp
How do you know, did you see Tim's car when he got it?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
How do you know, did you see Tim's car when he got it?
Did not have to see it before. Can look at it now. No way would soap and water make the ebay car look as nice as this one.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Tim Gilmore
Racer

I don't want to incriminate my own car, I'm going to take your comment as a compliment. Thank you, the car turned out great.

Last edited by Tim Gilmore; 01-17-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

BTW, to all those who chastised me for my comments on the value of this car restore, take a look at this one that had a asking price of $58900.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-original.html

Yeah, which on would you rather have?

Last edited by 68hemi; 01-17-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

2018 C2 of Year Finalist

BTW, to all those who chastised me for my comments on the value of this car restore, take a look at this one that had a asking price of $58900.

That one sold in two weeks, and someone.got a super deal.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

That car is also a '64. You example is apples to potatoes. People like both but for different reasons.So I state again. Everyone will value things differently. Depending on age,location,personal preference or pocketbook. Example some prefer boxers, some prefer boxer briefs, some prefer bikini briefs,some prefer a thong and some have to a have adult diapers and I mean have to have them. Depending on which category someone falls in the other categories aren't really worth much. BTW is this car an example of your opinion of a #1 car
Old 01-18-2018, 01:33 PM
68hemi
Race Director

That car is also a '64. You example is apples to potatoes. People like both but for different reasons.So I state again. Everyone will value things differently. Depending on age,location,personal preference or pocketbook. Example some prefer boxers, some prefer boxer briefs, some prefer bikini briefs,some prefer a thong and some have to a have adult diapers and I mean have to have them. Depending on which category someone falls in the other categories aren't really worth much. BTW is this car an example of your opinion of a #1 car
Not in this case. both the 64 and 65 365 h.p. with air are very rare combination cars and for this comparison it is NOT apples and oranges.
No, it is not my idea of a number 1 car but it IS a good comparison of an original born with drive train that can be driven with pride unlike the subject car. To bring the subject car to the same level would cost a minimum of probably $40K.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Not in this case. both the 64 and 65 365 h.p. with air are very rare combination cars and for this comparison it is NOT apples and oranges.
No, it is not my idea of a number 1 car but it IS a good comparison of an original born with drive train that can be driven with pride unlike the subject car. To bring the subject car to the same level would cost a minimum of probably $40K.
Like I said your example is not apples to potatoes. Fair or not '65s bring more money than '64s. As you pointed out to bring the subject car,'65, to the same of the,'64, would probably cost $40K. But in actuality it would not be in the same condition. Instead of having paint that looks nice for a "1985 repaint" you will have new paint. Same with the interior and etc. So now not only would you have a model year that brings more money the car will also be in better condition. The owner would have more money in it than the '64 but whether you would want it or not many more would. I will add this again. Everyone will value things differently. Depending on age,location,personal preference or pocketbook. Example some prefer boxers, some prefer boxer briefs, some prefer bikini briefs,some prefer a thong and some have to a have adult diapers and I mean have to have them.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

To bring the subject car to the same level would cost a minimum of probably $40K.
If you're a "checkbook" restorer and farm everything out, I agree.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting 65 on Ebay

Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Like I said your example is not apples to potatoes. Fair or not '65s bring more money than '64s. As you pointed out to bring the subject car,'65, to the same of the,'64, would probably cost $40K. But in actuality it would not be in the same condition. Instead of having paint that looks nice for a "1985 repaint" you will have new paint. Same with the interior and etc. So now not only would you have a model year that brings more money the car will also be in better condition. The owner would have more money in it than the '64 but whether you would want it or not many more would. I will add this again. Everyone will value things differently. Depending on age,location,personal preference or pocketbook. Example some prefer boxers, some prefer boxer briefs, some prefer bikini briefs,some prefer a thong and some have to a have adult diapers and I mean have to have them.
not to worry, he won't let this go and give you the last word. Go change those diapers, will you!
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:22 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

not to worry, he won't let this go and give you the last word. Go change those diapers, will you!
I left a few in swap meet area in Lakeland
Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Nope, I am done, your not talking to NowhereMan here.

Quick Reply: Interesting 65 on Ebay