C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Winter Regional - Who is Going? Check in the Southeast Events

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

I will make some comments as maybe facts will help your understanding of where the future lies. Ed had a meeting with board members and feel we made our case for 2019.
Our first obligation is to the NCRS members who desire to have their cars judged. In selecting a site venue we have to consider cost as well as location and site staff support.
The Lakeland site has every other location beat in all categories except hotel locations. Its a seven minute commute from at least 6 hotel with rates from $75 to $175 a night. They are not next door but its not an unreasonable distance.
Had we moved with Mecum, the judging would be in an expensive tent and the venders would have been his venders not ours, and there are no adjacent hotels there either.
I knew 5 years ago where the swap meet was going and there was no remedy that would change this trend. Even Carlisle whose primary business is a swap meet is having the same problems, we are getting old and the cars have gotten so complex and better that restoring a c-3, c-4 is just not what the younger generation wants to do. They only have to wait and let the prices of c-5,6,7 drop to what they can afford.
Our event will always have s swap meet component that has at least 1 vender, Al Knoch.
We are moving the date to the 3rd week so Mecum is not a factor.
Our NCRS registrations for 2017 was 279, the closest Regional was Texas at 199. Because of the National being in Las Vegas all eastern Regionals will be down in 2018.

2017 events
Texas 199 52 cars
Northwest 88 27 cars
tri State 160 58 cars
Southern Calif 147 45 cars
Heartland 148 35 cars
Florida 279 45 cars

The one thing this event has always been is a Public event, In the past we could depend on the swap meet+NCRS judging to bring in the public and the Corvette guy. To this end we have reached out to other car clubs (Street Rods and Corvette Clubs) with limited success. Our street rod show is growing but the Corvette clubs in this area will not 'support' NCRS in spite of the fact NCRS has no desire to be the principal in the Saturday event. We will survive but unless the Corvette community gets over its NCRS hang-up the vender count will be 50 or so, and a very successful street rod event put on by Central Florida Street Rods which we will promote to bring in the public.

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler Townsley; 01-15-2018 at 10:50 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Tyler Townsley:
1bdvet (01-16-2018), Brian VH McHale (01-16-2018), Chuck Gongloff (01-16-2018), Frankie the Fink (01-16-2018), jimgessner (01-17-2018), Loren Smith (01-16-2018), mark6669 (01-16-2018), Rick Gower (01-16-2018), Yankeededandy (01-18-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
I will make some comments as maybe facts will help your understanding of where the future lies. Ed had a meeting with board members and feel we made our case for 2019.
Our first obligation is to the NCRS members who desire to have their cars judged. In selecting a site venue we have to consider cost as well as location and site staff support.
The Lakeland site has every other location beat in all categories except hotel locations. Its a seven minute commute from at least 6 hotel with rates from $75 to $175 a night. They are not next door but its not an unreasonable distance.
Had we moved with Mecum, the judging would be in an expensive tent and the venders would have been his venders not ours, and there are no adjacent hotels there either.
I knew 5 years ago where the swap meet was going and there was no remedy that would change this trend. Even Carlisle whose primary business is a swap meet is having the same problems, we are getting old and the cars have gotten so complex and better that restoring a c-3, c-4 is just not what the younger generation wants to do. They only have to wait and let the prices of c-5,6,7 drop to what they can afford.
Our event will always have s swap meet component that has at least 1 vender, Al Knoch.
Our NCRS registrations for 2017 was 279, the closest Regional was Texas at 199. Because of the National being in Las Vegas all eastern Regionals will be down in 2018.

2017 events
Texas 199 52 cars
Northwest 88 27 cars
tri State 160 58 cars
Heartland 148 35 cars
Florida 279 45 cars

The one thing this event has always been is a Public event, In the past we could depend on the swap meet+NCRS judging to bring in the public and the Corvette guy. To this end we have reached out to other car clubs (Street Rods and Corvette Clubs) with limited success. Our street rod show is growing but the Corvette clubs in this area will not 'support' NCRS in spite of the fact NCRS has no desire to be the principal in the Saturday event. We will survive but unless the Corvette community gets over its NCRS hang-up the vender count will be 50 or so, and a very successful street rod event put on by Central Florida Street Rods which we will promote to bring in the public.

Tyler
Well said and a heartfelt thanks for all that you, Ed, Rich and the team do Tyler...
The following users liked this post:
jimgessner (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I just want to thank Ed, Tyler and all the people that have put in the hundreds of hours of work to make this event the best NCRS has to offer forthe last 40 years. I attended my first Winter Regional at Cypress gardens in 1989 and have only missed it a couple of times since. The Lakeland site is the best, I have stayed 10 mins. away for $75 with a parking garage where you can cover your car and see it from your room and no one even knows its there. The Judged cars and Vender count will continue to decline because of the times. I judged at this event for 15 years and for the last 10 years I have been cleaning out my 40 year collection of NOS and hard to find parts and selling them for fair prices. Every year when I get there people buy parts as fast as I unload them this year I sold everything that I took by noon on Friday. If not for this event they would have gone in a landfill years ago.
Again Thank You All
Mark

Last edited by mark6669; 01-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley

2017 events
Texas 199 52 cars
Northwest 88 27 cars
tri State 160 58 cars
Heartland 148 35 cars
Florida 279 45 cars

Tyler

Thank you, and your group for you do to preserve Corvette experience.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:25 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks Tyler, Ed, the Florida Chapter and everyone who has been involved in putting this together over the years. We have enjoyed it for many years due to your efforts. Things change and some things are beyond your control. Hopefully it can continue in some form, wherever it is.

Quick Reply: NCRS Winter Regional - Who is Going? Check in the Southeast Events