C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adding air to a 60

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 AM
Katch
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding air to a 60

Happy New Year to all.
I am planning on adding air conditioning to my 1960. I am sure there are modifications that need to be done. I have really no idea on what is involved. How does this effect my generator which drives my tach. I know there are products out there, does anyone have a preferred product. Once the car is back on the road my wife and I would like to travel and I don't need it to be uncomfortable. Not sure if this info is needed, single 4 barrel carb with a two speed power glide.
Katch
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your stock generator is 35 amps so its on the edge power-wise but many C1s with A/C use it successfully. The new owner of my 61 added A/C and kept the generator. As to the kit used I think his was the latest Vintage Air offering. Another 60 owner on here "Toms Silver 60" installed Vintage Air as well. Its doable but tight... You can PM him on here for details.

Here is a thread on a C1 with Classic Auto Air done very nicely and not too 'in-your-face':

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-62-a.html

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-05-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Bill
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Katch
Instructor

Thanks for the info Frankie. Having a tach that is generator driven doesn't allow me to use an alternator that looks like an original generator. Is it right to say I have no options but to use my original generator. If it's more amps I need is it possible to do something to my generator to boost amps.
Katch
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Katch
Instructor

Also looking at replacing my dash pad. Why is there such a price difference from supplier to supplier. In some cases over a hundred dollar difference.
Katch
Old 01-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I would stay with your generator unless you find its inadequate.....there are workarounds if it proves not up to the task that will still give you a tach but I don't care for most of them...

The price difference on dash pads are quality and name recognition, Al Knock and Corvette America are bigger names than Romeo Engineering.....some say one fits better than the others. My RE pad was put in around 2008 before they fixed a lot of issues.

I would have ripped my back pocket off getting out $100 for a better pad if I had known the problems I would have to deal with by not doing so in the first place.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-06-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I would stay with your generator unless you find its inadequate.....there are workarounds if it proves not up to the task that will still give you a tach but I don't care for most of them...

The price difference on dash pads are quality and name recognition, Al Knock and Corvette America are bigger names than Romeo Engineering.....some say one fits better than the others. My RE pad was put in around 2008 before they fixed a lot of issues.

I would have ripped my back pocket off getting out $100 for a better pad if I had known the problems I would have to deal with by not doing so in the first place.
. 👍 I agree. And if you are going to install the pad yourself, Rich Mozzetta has an excellent installation tutorial. He just sent me the pdf file on it. I highly reccomend it. There are so many little things that he covers that make professional looking installation It will save you many hours of aggravation
Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Hello Canada

Do a search on this forum and there are a number of recommendations on this project. Hardest part up front is how far do you want to go to get max use out of the AC and upgrade/update you car.
My latest take on subject is to go alternator and put in one large electric fan and get rid of mechanical fan. Also use 61 Chevy truck alternator bracket, the VA bracket did not work well at all.
Rich Mozetta and Mike Coletta are the pros for this project.

Send me an email at blountte1@gmail.com and I will send you a word or pdf on the conversion project. Tried it here, no could get to work.

You will LOVE how well the defroster works!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Katch
Instructor

Default Dash pad Installation

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63
. 👍 I agree. And if you are going to install the pad yourself, Rich Mozzetta has an excellent installation tutorial. He just sent me the pdf file on it. I highly reccomend it. There are so many little things that he covers that make professional looking installation It will save you many hours of aggravation
Yes, I will be installing it my self, it sounds like it doesn't take much to ruin the job. I will reach out to Rich for the PDF file. Thank you.
Katch
Old 01-07-2018, 10:30 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Default email coming your way

Now is the time to do EVERYTHING related to the dash, to include the carpets. Once this unit is installed, you can't see anything under dash except black hoses (which need to be strung up high so your feet don't move them). Trim bottom of your kick panels so that they do not hold down your carpet, as it would be a MAJOR effort to change out passenger side later on (I am regretting that now!)

Email includes a few more notes, to include routing of hoses and moving the battery. Mike Coletta is the real pro, he knows all the smart moves. Rich Mozetta is also a pro on these.

Hoping to see bunch of you guys at NCRS regionals this week. Weather will be much better than last five days.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Katch
Instructor

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Now is the time to do EVERYTHING related to the dash, to include the carpets. Once this unit is installed, you can't see anything under dash except black hoses (which need to be strung up high so your feet don't move them). Trim bottom of your kick panels so that they do not hold down your carpet, as it would be a MAJOR effort to change out passenger side later on (I am regretting that now!)

Email includes a few more notes, to include routing of hoses and moving the battery. Mike Coletta is the real pro, he knows all the smart moves. Rich Mozetta is also a pro on these.

Hoping to see bunch of you guys at NCRS regionals this week. Weather will be much better than last five days.
Thanks Tom, all this will help. Tore the car apart a few years back and have been moving like a snail on it. Engines done, powerglides done. Need to get motivated this spring. I have owned the car for 41 years.
Katch
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katch
Thanks Tom, all this will help. Tore the car apart a few years back and have been moving like a snail on it. Engines done, powerglides done. Need to get motivated this spring. I have owned the car for 41 years.
Katch
Don't forget wiring harnesses and installing electrical protection. My 60 has had one major and 2 minor dead shorts over the past 53 years. Frankie and Rich are experts on this.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 AM
Katch
Instructor

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Don't forget wiring harnesses and installing electrical protection. My 60 has had one major and 2 minor dead shorts over the past 53 years. Frankie and Rich are experts on this.
Hi Tom, got a little side tracked there.The wiring in the car is still original. Mostly cleaning ground wires over the years is all I've ever had to do. I would guess you replaced yours all with new wiring. Is it possible to get away with keeping the original wiring.
Katch
Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Katch
Hi Tom, got a little side tracked there.The wiring in the car is still original. Mostly cleaning ground wires over the years is all I've ever had to do. I would guess you replaced yours all with new wiring. Is it possible to get away with keeping the original wiring.
Katch
The person that bought my original '61 put aftermarket A/C in it and kept the original wiring and generator for that matter....no issues.

Its nearly a case-by-case basis but 60 year old wiring is always suspect unless you verify otherwise...

If nothing else then add the add'l recommended fuses to your car at the ammeter, clock and cigarette lighter...these cars were lightly fused to say the least.

Search on here for a thread titled "C1 fuse points" for info...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Katch
Instructor

The person that bought my original '61 put aftermarket A/C in it and kept the original wiring and generator for that matter....no issues.

Its nearly a case-by-case basis but 60 year old wiring is always suspect unless you verify otherwise...

If nothing else then add the add'l recommended fuses to your car at the ammeter, clock and cigarette lighter...these cars were lightly fused to say the least.

Search on here for a thread titled "C1 fuse points" for info...
Thank you for the leads to those forums, lots of good info Frank. Might need a little help from my electrical friend when I get there.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 AM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Regarding you questions of generator/alternator with tach drive, there are a couple of options for you. In the link below even though it is not shown in that link this company has a new product that is and alternator that looks like a generator that has a tach drive. I went through all of this recently on my 57 and ended up just putting on a late model alternator with built in VR. I then converted my tach with an electronic gut in the original tach.

https://authenticautomotive.net/new-products/
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Regarding you questions of generator/alternator with tach drive, there are a couple of options for you. In the link below even though it is not shown in that link this company has a new product that is and alternator that looks like a generator that has a tach drive. I went through all of this recently on my 57 and ended up just putting on a late model alternator with built in VR. I then converted my tach with an electronic gut in the original tach.

https://authenticautomotive.net/new-products/
Interesting product - not cheap, but interesting...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Interesting product - not cheap, but interesting...
Like everything else in this hobby. If you JUST HAVE to retain the original look there is nothing cheap about it. I bounce back an forth with this. I went to a lot of extra expense with my engine for a hole at the back of the block so I could run my 9 fin valve covers and then turned right around and replaced my gen. with an alt. so go figure.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
macster
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Like everything else in this hobby. If you JUST HAVE to retain the original look there is nothing cheap about it. I bounce back an forth with this. I went to a lot of extra expense with my engine for a hole at the back of the block so I could run my 9 fin valve covers and then turned right around and replaced my gen. with an alt. so go figure.

I just contacted Authentic Automotive and at the moment they are working on a gen/alt that works with the Corvette tach drive. It should be available in a few weeks or so. The current one for the P/S will allow the tach drive to bolt on but the rpm will be off.

Mac

Get notified of new replies

To Adding air to a 60

Quick Reply: Adding air to a 60