C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Old 01-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Watching this thread as I'm just about ready to remove the windshield from my '63.

I see the tool that is used to find the clips, but just exactly what do you do when you do find the clips?

Does the tool run over/through the clips, thus releasing them from the stainless?

Or do you run up to the clips, and then have to pry the stainless from the clips?

Looking forward to seeing your windshield completely removed.

Thanks,

Pat
I will remove the windshield fully today, I am now at the point of having all the trim removed and the wheaterstrip is cut. Just waiting for an extra pair of hands to remove it fully. after having all the trim removed I can see where the PO ran into a problem. Actually almost all the clips where installed on my car but unreachable for the trim because of the thickness of the weatherstrip they used. The result was a whole bunch of goop and only 1/3 of the clips used.

As for the tool, I really liked this one. You have to run it along the trim holding the handle away from the window, this pries the trim up a little and makes sure the tip of the tool is reaching deep behind the weatherstrip to find the clips. Once you find a clip hold it there and turn the tool handle rotation wise to the weatherstrip. This pushes the clip loose. While unleasing the clip a little bit upward pressure by pulling the trim simultaniously will make it pop off easier. I will have to add that my car is a 66, your car is a 63 so the trim clips will be different. And I don't have exprience with those.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Watching this thread as I'm just about ready to remove the windshield from my '63.

I see the tool that is used to find the clips, but just exactly what do you do when you do find the clips?

Does the tool run over/through the clips, thus releasing them from the stainless?

Or do you run up to the clips, and then have to pry the stainless from the clips?

Looking forward to seeing your windshield completely removed.

Thanks,

Pat
Pat,
Here's my artist's rendition of the situation. You basically need to pry the clip up just a bit to allow the end of the molding with a little lip on it to release from the clip. I usually pry up a little and then pull out on the molding, it doesn't take much.

gsholz (04-16-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:16 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Pat,
Here's my artist's rendition of the situation. You basically need to pry the clip up just a bit to allow the end of the molding with a little lip on it to release from the clip. I usually pry up a little and then pull out on the molding, it doesn't take much.

Ken, that's great!

Thanks for the information, and especially so for the pictorial. Definitely makes more sense how the clips retail the stainless.

Pat
Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,899 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
I will remove the windshield fully today, I am now at the point of having all the trim removed and the wheaterstrip is cut. Just waiting for an extra pair of hands to remove it fully. after having all the trim removed I can see where the PO ran into a problem. Actually almost all the clips where installed on my car but unreachable for the trim because of the thickness of the weatherstrip they used. The result was a whole bunch of goop and only 1/3 of the clips used.

As for the tool, I really liked this one. You have to run it along the trim holding the handle away from the window, this pries the trim up a little and makes sure the tip of the tool is reaching deep behind the weatherstrip to find the clips. Once you find a clip hold it there and turn the tool handle rotation wise to the weatherstrip. This pushes the clip loose. While unleasing the clip a little bit upward pressure by pulling the trim simultaniously will make it pop off easier. I will have to add that my car is a 66, your car is a 63 so the trim clips will be different. And I don't have exprience with those.
Thanks Twan,

Keep the pics coming, as it looks like you have just about got it done.

Also, let me know your experience with the new weather-stripping, and how it works out for you. And....what brand you used.

Great thread, and perfect timing for me! LOL!

Take care,

Pat
Old 01-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There are several youtube clips on removing vintage automotive trim and they also show the different tools available,,
Old 01-06-2018, 02:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would suggest some additional layers of tape around the glass edge if you plan on retaining the glass. Those trim removal tools can scratch and gouge glass if the edge slips and tip catches by accident.
Protect your original windshield at all costs as nobody makes a correct shaded replacement.
Twan Sloot (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Twan;

I volunteer to be a second person to help remove your windshield for the price of an overseas air fare ticket.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well the window is out and there isn't any severe rust and almost all the clips were there just not used. no excessive rust just a bit of surface rust in the center at the bottom actually looks worse in the pictures than in person. With some sanding and painting will be great

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-06-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Twan;

I volunteer to be a second person to help remove your windshield for the price of an overseas air fare ticket.
Sounds like a great deal, unfortunately one of my friends beat you to the job.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-06-2018 at 03:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twan Sloot:
Easy Rhino (01-07-2018), Teheen (04-12-2020)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Pat,

Nice use of white space.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A little late to the game but here is some nice info about C2 windshield R&R, the tools and their use:

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/wi...windshield.htm
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
A little late to the game but here is some nice info about C2 windshield R&R, the tools and their use:

http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/wi...windshield.htm
Thanks Frankie, luckily this forum directs you to this page as soon as you type in the words "c2 windshield" so I used it already. Great page btw.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-07-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:45 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well took the whole day sanding cleaning and sanding and cleaning, you get it. But the result was great the birdcage is rust free and put down a heavy rust protecting primer

matching rally red paint (close) going on at the end of the week and this weekend try to mount the windshield again

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 01-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well put the windshield back in today, here a little write up from what I did in the last weeks

I first sanded en primed the cage in rust protectant primer, after that layed down a layer of rally red to start off with a clean and rust protective window channel.

After that I installed all new clips with sealant under them so no water can seep in from there. And test fitted the trim.

Today I finally pulled the cords and put the windshield in. I didn't use any lubricant to let the rubber gasket slip over the pinchweld because I figured that any lubricant will stop the adhesive from adhering when I lay that down.

What's still to come, putting in the messy adhesive, polish the trim, getting the trim back in there.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
thanks for all the replies. to answer some questions

-birdcage has no rust and is pretty much zinc green all around.

-I am almost 100% sure there are no clips since I pried the trim up a little so I could look under there and I couldn't see the black clips only the steel of the trim itself. the glue is pretty old and soft.

-I already got the entire clip set in front of this job because I was going te replace them all anyway.

- easy rhino, yes correct the Netherlands

-will look into Pilot dans tip, but I am affraid that will chip te paint around the windshield.

my guess is that the PO or a shop the PO hired ran into a problem with the trim and glued it in. I haven't looked under all the trim only the left top corner and along the A pillar. so maybe there are some clips to be found
reading your comments I guess the only way to remove it is carefulness and some elbow grease. since the glue is old and soft I might be able to fully save the trim. will keep you updated
I would think if the glue is already soft , a little heat and caution to work slow the trim will come off . Be careful working with heat close to the glass . Too much will crack the glass.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bj1k
I would think if the glue is already soft , a little heat and caution to work slow the trim will come off . Be careful working with heat close to the glass . Too much will crack the glass.
Thanks for the reply but I am much further in the process already. See my last post

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Gasket to windshield filled with CRL 1716. Now onto filling the gasket to body gap with CRL 7708 compound

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-14-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Weird picture refuses to upload in the previous post (edit, it did after all)

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-14-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well first tip for this job. Imagine messy, then multiply it by 100. Then your coming close onto how messy this glue is.

They say on the tube you have to use gloves but every glue tells you that so I thought how bad can it be. About 20 inches into laying a bead my hands were covered in smudges of compound so I decided to get gloves. I was able to get it in all the corners pretty good. After finishing it. I had to clean a lot with the 3M adhesive cleaner but it worked good and I am pretty happy with the result.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Twan....totally off topic but I have to commend you on your improvement using English. You've come a long way in the writing area anyway. Probably in the spoken area as well. I remember your first posts here.....

Well done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't