C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Twan....totally off topic but I have to commend you on your improvement using English. You've come a long way in the writing area anyway. Probably in the spoken area as well. I remember your first posts here.....

Well done.

It indeed helps to write in english every now and then. Especially all the reading I do on here helps me to understand on how to formulate certain sentences.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Well spend the whole night on the trim and the neighbours have probably started to think I developed tourettes syndrome. Gave up for today, trim just wouldn't snap in on the drivers side A pillar.

Go on tomorrow after some sleep.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-14-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
the neighbours have probably started to think I developed tourettes syndrome.
Pretty sure I have a good head start on a case of Carpal Tunnel after installing mine.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Pretty sure I have a good head start on a case of Carpal Tunnel after installing mine.
My palms know exactly what your talking about
Old 04-14-2018, 10:08 PM
irwiny
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan Sloot
My palms know exactly what your talking about
Twan:

I was reading your post and know your pain, I replaced my 66 coupe windshield gasket and trim clips last year and my hands were sore pounding the trim in. It seemed easy to install all of the windshield trim to the clips before the windshield gasket is installed.

For me about half of the lower trim clips were not clipped and they used a lot black sealer to hold the bottom trim in place. Pretty sad job done with previous owner and the bottom trim started to shift and separate at the center joint.

Irwin
Twan Sloot (04-14-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

If your thinking about redoing the windshield. Just don't do it, the problems that bother you can't be as bad as redoing the windshield.
No but seriously, if you know a shop that can do it properly, bring it there and pay a few bucks.

As for me, I got it done but will never do it again. The problem why I took the winshield out in the first place was because the trim had a big gap on the driverside lower corner. Bothered the crap out of me.
I improved that big time and it's pretty darn good now. On the passenger side it now sticks out a tiny bit nothing major but not perfect, learned to live with it.

Overall an improvement but not as perfect as I hoped. At least it's properly watertight and
the birdcage is rust protected again.

Biggest conclusion I pulled from this experience. While being busy with the windshield I missed a few days that I could have driven the car but I couldn't because the windshield was out. That made me realize I was busy in the garage for days because of one gap in the trim to the body, while I could have been enjoying the car. Just drive em and don't be bothered by small imperfections.

Tips of you are doing it yourself:
Use gloves at all times. (Not the flimsy ones but rubber garden gloves, will give you alot more grip on the trim)
Take the time to cover everything with masking tape. (Every time again)
Mark on te body where all the clips are. Once your pushing on the trim you'll know where it has to latch.

Last edited by Twan Sloot; 04-16-2018 at 12:12 PM.
firstgear (05-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Removing the windshield, oh no the PO didn't