C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frankie the fink article

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

His wreck, his business, but with so many threads asking for prices of paint and body work, it would be interesting to know what the bill was for repairing his car. Probably more then the cost of a complete running 64 coupe.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:19 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Frankie's last name ends in a vowel. I learned a long, long time ago that one should never push for information from those types....they seem to be eerily (pun intended) handy ice-picks and such. Mum is the word here. Let's move along........
Now there’s a sterotype if I’ve ever heard one!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Silverrick
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO: There are some pretty good adjusters out there. I had a similar experience with my adjuster on my 92 Diablo. Great guy who took the time to make it right regardless of costs.

Happy all worked out ok Frankie!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Those drum brakes and new repro seat belts saved my life. Yes to “New American” — pulled dead nuts in front of me with no insurance then tried to sue me. Sign of the times.Some of those pictures are still hard to look at.
There may be a second article in a popular hobbyist magazine with excruciating detail. Not firmed up yet.One Public Service Announcement though:If you even think for a minute your “agreed upon” insurance value is too low — straighten it out — TODAY!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-11-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Did they pull in front of you so you rear ended them, or were they hit somewhere else on the vehicle, and then they thought they would sue you?

The rear end scam has been around for long time. In SoCal is was asian gangs and they were vicious, they targeted prosecutors and judges who were presiding over their trial.

They tried in on me once, car full of (probaly Filipimos) is shitty little car swerve suddenly in front of me from next lane, close, then stab the brake pedal.

Fortunately, i was in the 308 which had good brakes and in SoCal traffic, I was already in heel/toe position on the brake, so I didn't hit them. Then they drove off.

Doug

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Those drum brakes and new repro seat belts saved my life. Yes to “New American” — pulled dead nuts in front of me with no insurance then tried to sue me. Sign of the times.Some of those pictures are still hard to look at.
There may be a second article in a popular hobbyist magazine with excruciating detail. Not firmed up yet.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The gall, unabashed idiocy and lack of personal responsibility (sort of struggling for suitable, not vulgar descriptive words) of too many drivers is remarkable. I had my daily driver totaled a few years ago by a women who left turned into me as I was merely driving down the road - taking out the front fender, ripping the door completely loose (but still jammed in place) and knocked me off the road. First she lied about her insurance company (but she was insured), accused me of speeding (I wasn't and the cop said he wouldn't have carried if I was since it was 100% her fault) and then hired a lawyer to sue my insurance company and kept the case open for years after her insurance had already paid my claim, and she was convicted on the traffic violations. I just hope there is a special, hotter than normal, place in hell for these types.

Looks great Frankie. Glad you are OK got a quality repair job.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 01-11-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
The gall, unabashed idiocy and lack of personal responsibility (sort of struggling for suitable, not vulgar descriptive words) of too many drivers is remarkable. I had my daily driver totaled a few years ago by a women who left turned into me as I was merely driving down the road - taking out the front fender, ripping the door completely loose (but still jammed in place) and knocked me off the road. First she lied about her insurance company (but she was insured), accused me of speeding (I wasn't and the cop said he wouldn't have carried if I was since it was 100% her fault) and then hired a lawyer to sue my insurance company and kept the case open for years after her insurance had already paid my claim, and she was convicted on the traffic violations. I just hope there is a special, hotter than normal, place in hell for these types.

Looks great Frankie. Glad you are OK got a quality repair job.
Parallels my situation closely — eerily so. 2003 Escalade pulled right in front of me making a left and I T-boned the driver’s door. These people in FLA buy insurance, register the car here for two years then immediately cancel the insurance for a big refund. They know FLA is awful about tracking down such scams. They have no insurance and no assets so what is their exposure ? Not much apparently. Anyway I don’t want to make this a treatise on such cretins. They’ve already had too much impact on my life.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-11-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Frank,

I agree, those pictures are hard to look at. My 63 coupe let a spirited life back in the 60's and I remember how hard I looked for some of those hard to find parts.

Seeing that damage and knowing the circumstances surrounding your accident makes me furious thinking these people are driving on the roads these days, many coming at you 50 MPH.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
Frank,

I agree, those pictures are hard to look at. My 63 coupe let a spirited life back in the 60's and I remember how hard I looked for some of those hard to find parts.

Seeing that damage and knowing the circumstances surrounding your accident makes me furious thinking these people are driving on the roads these days, many coming at you 50 MPH.
If anybody thinks having pals in this hobby isn’t important let me straighten them out. rich5962 found an original 63 hood, Mike Coletta supplied an original radiator core support and nose rods, another pal came up with an original headlight header bar and on and on. 63-only fiberglass headlight buckets, original grill and horns story deserve their own thread. I owe some big debts to friends.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-11-2018 at 11:48 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Her65 (01-16-2018), Mike C#2 (01-15-2018), mrvette (03-15-2018), ptjsk (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Come this spring I am switching ins co.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

After reading this story I just received a quote from NCM, I will be switching insurance companies this summer. currently have American Collectors.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:23 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
His wreck, his business, but with so many threads asking for prices of paint and body work, it would be interesting to know what the bill was for repairing his car. Probably more then the cost of a complete running 64 coupe.
Yes, glad those 64 coupes are so much cheaper. I bought a nice one under 20. Original example down to shifter and shielding. Funny part , besides the divider in the glass, it is identical to my blue 63. Course I paid a lot more for the 64 but I was in a buying mood that day. A fool and his money soon parted !
Old 01-12-2018, 02:49 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Yes, glad those 64 coupes are so much cheaper. I bought a nice one under 20. Original example down to shifter and shielding. Funny part , besides the divider in the glass, it is identical to my blue 63. Course I paid a lot more for the 64 but I was in a buying mood that day. A fool and his money soon parted !
There haven't been any nice '64 coupes for sale in my state for less than 20k in over 30 years. I guess location is everything!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM
62-C1
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default A good Dash Cam is helpful

Parallels my situation closely — eerily so. 2003 Escalade pulled right in front of me making a left and I T-boned the driver’s door. These people in FLA buy insurance, register the car here for two years then immediately cancel the insurance for a big refund. They know FLA is awful about tracking down such scams. They have no insurance and no assets so what is their exposure ? Not much apparently. Anyway I don’t want to make this a treatise on such cretins. They’ve already had too much impact on my life.
Both of my Corvettes and my daily driver have been equipped with Dash Cameras. Thank goodness so far no major accidents, but once I came out of a store and found major rear quarter panel damage to my Lexus LS-460. Luckily it was equipped with impact technology even in parking mode. Called Police they found the person who hit and ran, of course he had no insurance, but it made it easier for my insurance adjuster. Also once it settled the question of "was the light red when I went thru the intersection". That alone probably saved me the price of the camera.Its hard to argue with a good video.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Have dash cams in my Tundra and Durango. In this case, the outcome wouldn’t have changed. I had some great witnesses that supported my version of the incident and left no doubt as to who was at fault.
Then of course the other driver made the classic statement: “I didn’t see him.”
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Why should Frankie elaborate any further .
Frankie got good service from the insurance and wasn't hurt .
These cases can be tricky for all parties ,
I have yet heard him complain about anything relating to the task of putting this Corvette back together.

Good Article Frankie

Last edited by rtruman; 01-12-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:50 PM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have dash cams in my Tundra and Durango. In this case, the outcome wouldn’t have changed. I had some great witnesses that supported my version of the incident and left no doubt as to who was at fault.
Then of course the other driver made the classic statement: “I didn’t see him.”
Of course they can't see you with their eyes buried in their phone.

Pulled my car out of Orlando down to Vero for that reason. Too many distracted drivers up here.

Get notified of new replies

To Frankie the fink article

Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
Why should Frankie elaborate any further .
Frankie got good service from the insurance and wasn't hurt .
These cases can be tricky for all parties ,
I have yet heard him complain about anything relating to the task of putting this Corvette back together.

Good Article Frankie

Actually I got knocked out and came to with the manager of the nearby Burger King directing traffic around the wreck. A dozen people were taking cell phone pics of the damage and not one dialed 911. I was the first 911 caller according to the cops. People would rather have something cool to post on the internet than get help for someone nowadays. So — take note.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-13-2018 at 07:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Brian VH McHale (01-13-2018), mrvette (03-15-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Actually I got knocked out and came to with the manager of the nearby Burger King directing traffic around the wreck. A dozen people were taking cell phone pics of the damage and not one dialed 911. I was the first 911 caller according to the cops. People would rather have something cool to post on the internet than get help for someone nowadays. So — take note.
The front end crash picture that was around for 2 years. Was that one you took or someone at the accident.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
The front end crash picture that was around for 2 years. Was that one you took or someone at the accident.
Someone snapped the pic the day the car arrived at the body shop. They shared it around and it was even someone’s avatar for a long time on another web site. Takes all kinds I guess.

Quick Reply: Frankie the fink article