C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frankie the fink article

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:13 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Actually I got knocked out and came to with the manager of the nearby Burger King directing traffic around the wreck. A dozen people were taking cell phone pics of the damage and not one dialed 911. I was the first 911 caller according to the cops. People would rather have something cool to post on the internet than get help for someone now a days. So — take note.
That's the new breed Today no action just take pictures while they get someone is getting beaten up or drowned .

No wonder the new generation wont fix old cars . Looks like a very hard Hit ,wonder the engine didn't get trashed.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

it was even someone’s avatar for a long time on another web site. Takes all kinds I guess.
WOW
Old 01-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
That's the new breed Today no action just take pictures while they get someone is getting beaten up or drowned .

No wonder the new generation wont fix old cars . Looks like a very hard Hit ,wonder the engine didn't get trashed.
The ladder frame is tougher than most think. No frame damage beyond DS frame “horn” slightly tweaked. Easy fix. Required very minor front end alignment adjustment when the repairs were completed. I jammed up the Muncie on impact (I may have been trying to downshift, don’t remember clearly) but it was fine on disassembly and inspection, once it was unjammed. No engine damage whatsoever.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

The ladder frame is tougher than most think. No frame damage beyond DS frame “horn” slightly tweaked. Easy fix. Required very minor front end alignment adjustment when the repairs were completed. I jammed up the Muncie on impact (I may have been trying to downshift, don’t remember clearly) but it was fine on disassembly and inspection, once it was unjammed. No engine damage whatsoever.
My buddy at work rebuild mine the problem the kit we bought wouldn't work .
The white 63 was slammed in the rear and the tail section of Transmission was changed threw him off in ordering the correct parts .
Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Someone snapped the pic the day the car arrived at the body shop. They shared it around and it was even someone’s avatar for a long time on another web site. Takes all kinds I guess.
It doesn't take all kinds. There just are all kinds. We could live very well without most of 'em.

Glad it all turned out okay for you, Frank. That had to have been one of the shittier days in your recent past.

Live well,

SJW
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Great article, Frank. The best news is that you weren’t seriously injured. But, it f you had been, I’m sure NCM would have taken care of that expense just as well as they did for your car.

I’ve always believed NCM was the best around. Now I’m convinced.

Steve
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Frankie I would of beefed up the 250 no one would be the wiser
installed a bigger cam .I did on my 300 on the rebuild. Maybe you did ?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rtruman
Frankie I would of beefed up the 250 no one would be the wiser
installed a bigger cam .I did on my 300 on the rebuild. Maybe you did ?
I saw no need to break open an undamaged, perfect running motor that was rebuilt in 2004 with minimal miles put on it since then...

If I was going that route I would have done a full blown LS-3/Corvette Corrections Mike Coletta-level restomod. And I was close to doing it -- really close...
Old 01-14-2018, 11:12 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

I saw no need to break open an undamaged, perfect running motor that was rebuilt in 2004 with minimal miles put on it since then...

If I was going that route I would have done a full blown LS-3/Corvette Corrections Mike Coletta-level restomod. And I was close to doing it -- really close...
Ha Ha so true I had the option of fulie unit and 4 speed . My friend that I mentored now has a fulie business but I choose to bring it back as it was stock . See how the tide changes I am a truck guy after 10 corvettes
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Actually I got knocked out and came to with the manager of the nearby Burger King directing traffic around the wreck. A dozen people were taking cell phone pics of the damage and not one dialed 911. I was the first 911 caller according to the cops. People would rather have something cool to post on the internet than get help for someone nowadays. So — take note.
That ticks me off. I thought it was not real about the phone thing then I saw it first hand. There I was laying on the bathroom floor and kept pressing the first alert button "Help, I have fallen and cannot get up!".

Finally, I yelled at my wife to put away her camera and call 911.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 01-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Actually I got knocked out and came to with the manager of the nearby Burger King directing traffic around the wreck. A dozen people were taking cell phone pics of the damage and not one dialed 911. I was the first 911 caller according to the cops. People would rather have something cool to post on the internet than get help for someone nowadays. So — take note.
calling in the wreck could get you involved if there is a law suit as a witness. they have your cell number and the lawyers will hunt you down and you may spend days in court for free. never get involved in any law suit unless it is yours.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
calling in the wreck could get you involved if there is a law suit as a witness. they have your cell number and the lawyers will hunt you down and you may spend days in court for free. never get involved in any law suit unless it is yours.
Great attitude! I will keep that in mind when I go through PA.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
For real. I hope if this poster ever needs help in an emergency that nearby witnesses don’t have such a crappy attitude.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
been there done that and it is not fun.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

been there done that and it is not fun.
Doing the right thing often isn’t. But you have to live with your own decisions.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GTOguy (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I have a hard time believing you mean what we read. Any responsible person would do what they could to render aid or call for first responders. Being a potential witness is no big issue. If you didn't see it just say so. if you did see it, just state what you saw and don't draw conclusions or speculate. As Judge Judy says - if you tell the truth you won't have a problem keeping your story straight.

Ditto about the smart phone/social media generation. My wife gets irritated at me because I seldom carry a phone and don't know how to respond to a text (or care). Didn't even have a smart phone until a few months ago when I inherited my wife's old Apple. Couldn't care less how to learn it's features as long as I can make an emergency call and take a photo with it. I did download one app for it - a GPS speedometer app. Lets me see how far off my old car speedometers are.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Glad you are ok Frankie and the car was repairable....I am a retired Claims Executive and the service you received from Adam and the NCM Insurance was the way it is suppose to work!

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Frankie the fink article

Old 01-17-2018, 04:52 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I work weekends in the winter as a volunteer Ski Patoller. I can tell you it is law that any person with EMT type training has to stop at any accident and provide assistance until a higher level of medical care takes over for you.
First, it is the right thing to do, second you can be prossecuted if you don't help.
Always verify the scene is safe before attempting to help or you may be a victim also.
I would not be bashful telling those idle bystanders what they should have done to help, sometimes time alone can save or cost lives.
In the Las Vegas shootings last year the after reports showed many died that could have survived with very basic medical help. As simple as pressing a finger on a wound to stop bleeding would have saved several. Very sad, but we are trying to spread the word.
With so many hurt qualified help was just not available fast enough.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
I work weekends in the winter as a volunteer Ski Patoller. I can tell you it is law that any person with EMT type training has to stop at any accident and provide assistance until a higher level of medical care takes over for you.
First, it is the right thing to do, second you can be prossecuted if you don't help.
Always verify the scene is safe before attempting to help or you may be a victim also.
I would not be bashful telling those idle bystanders what they should have done to help, sometimes time alone can save or cost lives.
In the Las Vegas shootings last year the after reports showed many died that could have survived with very basic medical help. As simple as pressing a finger on a wound to stop bleeding would have saved several. Very sad, but we are trying to spread the word.
With so many hurt qualified help was just not available fast enough.
Yes, "Time is Tissue" is an ER medical mantra. There is that 'golden hour' where most lives are saved by quick action.

Moreover, laymen are protected in most places by the Good Samaritan Law.

I'm sorry this thread took a left turn and taken aback by people that won't assist an injured fellow human - particularly in the case of forum members.

Anyway - I think the thread has run its course; if anybody has particular questions they can PM me...
Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Yes, "Time is Tissue" is an ER medical mantra. There is that 'golden hour' where most lives are saved by quick action.

Moreover, laymen are protected in most places by the Good Samaritan Law.

I'm sorry this thread took a left turn and taken aback by people that won't assist an injured fellow human - particularly in the case of forum members.

Anyway - I think the thread has run its course; if anybody has particular questions they can PM me...
the key word here is MOST PLACES. you better hope you are in that place. i guess you can google it on your smart phone

Quick Reply: Frankie the fink article