C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The 3 types of classic car buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Been saying this for several years now. I'm 60 with a fresh frame off 65 that will have zero value when I die so I'm going to drive it like I stole it and throw it away when I'm done. Same goes for all my tools when I'm done with those.
I wouldn't worry, history has proven the classic car to be one of the best investments year over year that you can make. I just sold my 70 ElCamino ss 454 car that had a pretty built 496 in to a guy in his early 30s.
I have these young mothers, and fathers come over to pick up their mini vans from my repair shop, and their little kids love looking at the classic cars, as well as they do too.

This 57 is my latest acquisition, and we have fun looking at on coming traffic, and watching their heads turn, I get waved at, the head nod or whatever from all ages young and old, I get stopped at the convenience store or gas station.
When my wife drives the 67 Camaro convertible people take pictures and want to stand near it or sit in it to be photographed. Again it is the very young all the way to the very old.
I think certain classic cars will never loose their luster especially c2 and C3

Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I hope all you guys are right about these cars being worthless so when you all die off I can buy all the 67 BB cars for penny’s on the dollar and have huge collection.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I hope all you guys are right about these cars being worthless so when you all die off I can buy all the 67 BB cars for penny’s on the dollar and have huge collection.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:51 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Encouraging to know my death will have some positive effects <LOL>.

Steve
Old 03-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Works for me, dead is dead and I wont care.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:52 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
I believe that when the Baby Boomer generation is gone, the Harleys, classic cars, and Hot Rods will become extinct and have no value to the Next Gens. The new generations are fixated on their smart phones, YouTube, social media, and other tech items. These new generations are not into STEM careers, or "trades" related careers where you work with your hands and make something. The USA has become a country of consumers, not innovators, or manufacturers of anything significant. The Next Gens love to make videos and post on YouTube, Twitter, Tumbler, et al.

The classic car auction houses see the future and are starting their misinformation campaigns to keep their dream alive IMO.

Just my two cents.

Not only that, they are constantly in touch via text and social media. My 17 year old son has no interest in getting his license. WTF. I COULD NOT WAIT to drive.

How can you go out with chicks if you don’t friggin drive?
Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tiros

A big concern. It is hard to believe we are even allowed to drive a car at all. With all the safety regulations, not just for cars but for ANYTHING. Think firecrackers, seat belts, BB guns, swing sets, porch railings, car seats, you name it. We all must be protected from the lowest common denominator. Driving a a vehicle is really far too dangerous for the average american.

Once self driving it is cheap and proliferated enough, there will be no reason for the government to allow you to perform such dangerous activities. I can clearly see a time where dangerous vehicles such as ours are simply not allowed on public roadways.

Personally I think we are f***ing up the process of natural selection.
And they will be able to track you even better. And what happens when some hostile country takes out the GPS? Nobody will know how to drive.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

I am sure they are taking cheap shots at me from page one of this thread. And that’s ok. While we continues to ask a bunch of questions I will be sure not to help. As I may not own a corvette but I have about 20 years on working on 67 cars to top flight status This ain’t my debut at this sort of thing. And don’t worry I have driven a few cars too.
Without you, JohnZ, Plasticman, Duke, Lars, Frankie, GS, Sky, amd too many more people to list, my car would have never seen the road.

Quick Reply: The 3 types of classic car buyers