C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Maybe it’s just me

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Critter1
Just for the record, I'm pretty sure it was Richard Buxbaum in Downers Grove, IL who first used the term "Matching Numbers" in his ad's in Hemmings and Vette Vues magazine in 1975. (before it was called Classic Motors) At that time, most of his cars really did have their original engines. If not, he stated so in the ad. That was a time when most didn't know or care about original engines. NCRS was just starting to recognize the importance of original engines not long after. Fake restamps became very popular by the end of the 70's but the quality was quite poor. By the end of the 70's and through the 80's, the practice of restamping became nationwide and everyone was doing it. It wasn't until the 90's that the quality of restamps improved. There were some really horrible restamps for decades. I know because I was the "Stamp Pad Inspector" at the Bloomingto Gold event.
I bought my 58 FI car from Richard in Hindsdale, Il. (It was on consignment by Jerome Shinkay) in 1975. The term was already being used by NCRS members but at that time it really meant BORN WITH NUMBERS which did not have to be defined as such at that time because that time was prior to the beginning of re-stamping as you stated.

Last edited by 68hemi; 01-10-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

The number on my little Hemi is matching "with a 57 Imperial". Ha Ha
The following users liked this post:
scotty t (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between an engine restamp and the "reproduction" junk that is passed off as original, both look like deception to me.

Personally I don't really care about numbers, I can't drive a number, I prefer honesty and integrity over numbers any day of the week.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Pilon:
Coe56 (01-12-2018), EnfieldJoe (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 365 Posts

I am in the process of having my motor rebuilt to correct L-76 specs, and while doing it I am taking pictures of stamp pads, trim tag, cast number and date, and every piece that people say is supposed to be a certian number & putting together a PowerPoint of every part, whether it is correct or not and documenting exactly what is on my car & also including a pic documenting what the books say it is supposed to have. I feel like I'm doing this just so I know, but also because, if ever I was to sell the car it would make it that much easier for whoever would buy it to know exactly what i have found out over the years, as this is quite a process to go thru. I guess that would be the difference between buying a car from an honest person, or just some stranger on the internet.

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 01-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 PM
68hemi
Race Director

[QUOTE=Rob_64-365;1596352308]I am in the process of having my motor rebuilt to correct L-76 specs, and while doing it I am taking pictures of stamp pads, trim tag, cast number and date, and every piece that people say is supposed to be a certian number & putting together a PowerPoint of every part, whether it is correct or not and documenting exactly what is on my car & also including a pic documenting what the books say it is supposed to have. I feel like I'm doing this just so I know, but also because, if ever I was to sell the car it would make it that much easier for whoever would buy it to know exactly what i have found out over the years, as this is quite a process to go thru. I guess that would be the difference between buying a car from an honest person, or just some stranger on the internet.[/Q

VERY GOOD IDEA
Rob_64-365 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

426 hemi forgot a few;

my favorite; the previous owner said he ........

and

E Bay quality .....
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Bill Pilon
I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between an engine restamp and the "reproduction" junk that is passed off as original, both look like deception to me.

Personally I don't really care about numbers, I can't drive a number, I prefer honesty and integrity over numbers any day of the week.

Bill
I agree. I’ve replaced the carb, MC, and radiator on my car. I could have gotten all of these date coded but it just didn’t seem right. Personally, I don’t see a lot of difference between a restamped engine and a date coded new part. Neither are original to the car. Steve
Lola T70 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
I agree. I’ve replaced the carb, MC, and radiator on my car. I could have gotten all of these date coded but it just didn’t seem right. Personally, I don’t see a lot of difference between a restamped engine and a date coded new part. Neither are original to the car. Steve
....and then there is date coded replacement glass and convertible tops as well. Why are those deemed acceptable and a restamped engine is fraudulent?
The following 2 users liked this post by tuxnharley:
Coe56 (01-12-2018), Lola T70 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM
68hemi
Race Director

It’s all about the Money. If someone will buy it someone will make it.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:48 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
....and then there is date coded replacement glass and convertible tops as well. Why are those deemed acceptable and a restamped engine is fraudulent?
At the risk of starting a "judging war", a restamped engine is not necessarily "fraudulent". In NCRS judging, it gets a predictable deduction for the pad stampings and surface not being typical of factory production (no more than 88 points), and at Bloomington Gold, you can now declare the engine as "may not be original" and still get the Gold Certificate (with the printed engine disclaimer). When an owner "creates" an engine block (correct casting number, casting date, pad surface and stampings) and sells the car claiming it's the original engine without disclosing the non-factory origin of the engine to the buyer, THAT'S FRAUDULENT.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnZ
At the risk of starting a "judging war", a restamped engine is not necessarily "fraudulent". In NCRS judging, it gets a predictable deduction for the pad stampings and surface not being typical of factory production (no more than 88 points), and at Bloomington Gold, you can now declare the engine as "may not be original" and still get the Gold Certificate (with the printed engine disclaimer). When an owner "creates" an engine block (correct casting number, casting date, pad surface and stampings) and sells the car claiming it's the original engine without disclosing the non-factory origin of the engine to the buyer, THAT'S FRAUDULENT.
Maybe UNETHICAL would be a better word. To be fraudulent you would have to PROVE it as such in a court of law. With the abilities of some people manufacturing these reproduction engines this may be found to be difficult if not impossible.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Apparently I could have used a better word than “fraudulent” in describing a restamped engine. My apologies.

However, that debate misses the main point of my question - why are date stamped reproduction window glass and convertible tops deemed to be acceptable, and a restamped engine block is not?

Said another way, is there a point deduction for the replacement glass and top when it has the correct date code? If not, why is that different than a restamped engine block?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 01-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:07 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Apparently I could have used a better word than “fraudulent” in describing a restamped engine. My apologies.

However, that debate misses the main point of my question - why are date stamped reproduction window glass and convertible tops deemed to be acceptable, and a restamped engine block is not?
That my friend is a good question that just like most of the things in the rest of this thread will generate many answers if those that care may respond to with totally different answers.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 PM
64luke
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC 0802
FWIW I would have taken a ginormous dump on the front lawn before I left....
It’s not too late. UPS will deliver.

Seriously though, why take a drive without a cellphone pic?

“We don’t have one”? Really? The only numbers matching people who can’t send a cell picture are IQ and the interstate speed limit.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Said another way, is there a point deduction for the replace
ment glass and top when it has the correct date code? If not, why is that different than a restamped engine block?
Easy to answer. The replacement glass and top adds zero monetary value to the car. An original and I mean the original from the factory adds monetary value. Depending on the desirability of the car that original motor adds that value multiplies. If a '67 has all original glass and the original top but has a 305ci motor rest assured it is worth way less than a matching number car with non date coded glass and top.
Coe56 (01-12-2018)
Old 05-03-2022, 10:11 AM
hundriver
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nom

Years ago I bought a '65 coupe 327/365, red on red from a gentleman mechanic who had done a nice rebuild on the whole car, including a numbers matching block. He told me it was not the original engine, we settled on a price and I drove it for several years and sold it as an NOM to another individual. I was surprised when it showed up at an auction in Dallas a year later listed as "original engine". The Corvette hobby has some great individuals in it, but it also has some sly crooks. I prefer to buy a car and make it like I want it, drive it, and enjoy it, not worrying about blowing the motor or trans.
64tux (05-03-2022)

Quick Reply: [C2] Maybe it’s just me