C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tire Failure (Not Vette)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.

How does this apply to passenger vehicles?
I would guess you are a hazard to navigation on the highways. Please post signage on all four corners of your Rig(s) in bold letters so I can motor far and away from you and your poorly maintained vehicles.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I would guess you are a hazard to navigation on the highways. Please post signage on all four corners of your Rig(s) in bold letters so I can motor far and away from you and your poorly maintained vehicles.
That applies to you and your 15 year old tires, my friend. I'll let the readers decide.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Randy G.
That applies to you and your 15 year old tires, my friend. I'll let the readers decide.
You sound like one of those that are keeping Pelosi in office. Right?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

The issue was that six years has been pegged as the time to get rid of tires. I said there is no scientific evidence that that is an accurate prediction. Too many variables to conclude anything. You, somehow have strayed from the subject with your typical California "know it all attitude". You've produced no facts, just tales of different circumstances. No scientific conclusions.

When you decide to get back on topic, let me know. By your own admission, you are the self proclaimed expert, not me. I have no idea what a tire buster is but I know what I've experienced and read. Your experience could be different and that's what makes you an expert..
Call me a California POS or whatever you want to do if that helps you resolve your personal issues or help you with your low self esteem. Having a discussion with you is like blowing a dog whistle.

I've linked NTSB recommendations, consumer group reports, etc. You proof is being a self admitted tire buster who's seen it all from the visor mirror stuck to the inside of the lid of your open tool box in Tire Depot stall number 14.

Like I said. I'll let the readers decide. Take the advice of a self admitted tire buster who gets angry when challenged or the NTSB and industry experts.

Carry on.

Last edited by Randy G.; 01-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

You sound like one of those that are keeping Pelosi in office. Right?
Check your meds, Mike. Pelosi and you have one thing in common. Let me explain it to you in simple terms:
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything here turns into a pissing contest.
The following users liked this post:
Easy Rhino (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

So now the “discussion” has turned from passenger cars/corvette tires to motor homes and semis?

Yeah, those are close.......
Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Phew When I go on vacation I will jack my vehicle up to avoid flat spots. its called insurance Had a radial blow out on my white 63 corvette yes old tires Same Church different Phew .
SEE where I am getting at .

Last edited by rtruman; 01-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Randy G. (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Well the verdict is in - she did strike an object on the road. Fortunately (or unfortunately maybe) there was evidence when the tire was removed there were two pretty solid gouges in the inner wheel barrel made by something penetrating all the way through the tire. Probably watching for her exit instead of the immediate roadway. So the Continental tires were not at fault in any way and in fact the franchise owner said he ran them on his car even though he gets free tires. Still, they were getting real slippery after 3 years (uphill starts on wet roads usually just produce wheel spin and no motion) so she's got all new tires (we did switch brands to get a higher speed rating and wear rating) and is ready to go again. One tire was adjusted to half price under the Road Hazards Warranty we had on them.
The following 6 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
Brian VH McHale (01-12-2018), dahogan (01-13-2018), GTOguy (01-13-2018), leif.anderson93 (01-13-2018), Pilot Dan (01-13-2018), Randy G. (01-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mikem
i would guess you are a hazard to navigation on the highways. Please post signage on all four corners of your rig(s) in bold letters so i can motor far and away from you and your poorly maintained vehicles.
Name:  everythingupto607036[1].jpg
Views: 150
Size:  79.1 KB
Randy G. (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

For you doomsday people on tire safety this was the consensus of the "experts" as of 2014. Please note, there is no consensus between auto makers, tire manufacturers and rubber suppliers. Also note there are no recommendations on replacing older tires from NHTSA as previously and erroneously reported.

How Long Does a Tire Last?
Carmakers, tire makers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire. Here's more on each of these factors.

Heat: NHTSA research has found that tires age more quickly in warmer climates. NHTSA also found that environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates can hasten the aging process. People who live in warm weather and coastal states should keep this in mind when deciding whether they should retire a tire.

Most sources will tell you that under inflation is the #1 cause of tire failures. Most informed sources will also tell you, it is the nature of steel radial tires to slowly lose air and further, since most owners don't check their tire pressures, many of them get run low on air. The older the tire, the more miles it can be driven low on air and sooner or later can cause the destruction of the tire.

If anyone has any "real, updated science", please post it. This is current to my knowledge. No science, just scattered collected information.

Quick Reply: Tire Failure (Not Vette)