C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 rear offset trailing arm bushing size

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 PM
angelob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 64 rear offset trailing arm bushing size

I have my trailing arms out and apart for rebuilding and was planning on powder coating......BUT I can't seem to find the correct replacement bushings for them. Any help for a source or name/number would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I will also be able to post a pic or 2.

Offset arm w stock bushings above, too large

Bushing size in arm
Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

All the off set arms I have built used smaller poly bushings, not the stock rubber ones. Are yours worn out or are you just replacing them as part of the rebuild? You can try contacting the suppliers of the off set arms for them. Tom's, Van Steel, VB&B, Global West are some.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Rear control arms not only rotate up and down during normal suspension travel. They are also designed to twist within the original design front bushing. Using solid bushings eliminates this action. They have to be flexible so the wheel can change camber during jounce/rebound. Using solid bushings tries to eliminate this action. That greatly increases the rate of the rear spring. It's also responsible for other rear suspensioncomponent failures.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 PM
angelob
Advanced

These arms were on the car when I bought it about 25 or so years ago. Have no idea whose they are and none of the above vendors think they are theirs....or own up to them anyway. I just need replacement bushing information if possible. They are not worn and are still tight sooo I guess I could still leave them in and use but that just goes against my grain....I want new.. if possible, at least so I could powder the arms.
thx
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I have built those arms in the past and they were powder coated. While I know they are not Global West arms, they sure look like one of the others. I would have to go back through my files to see though. I always use the stock rubber bushings in my arms but these don't come with them. Those might be Tom's arms.

You have a 64 set up for disc brakes correct.

Last edited by GTR1999; 01-12-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM
angelob
Advanced

Thanks for any help. My 64 has rear drum and I am converting the fronts now, when I get back from today' Lakeland run if I find front shields I can use on the drum spindles.
thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To 64 rear offset trailing arm bushing size

Quick Reply: 64 rear offset trailing arm bushing size