C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] C2 newbie pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by CorvetteClug
That actually sounds like a great option. Thanks for that angle!
Trust me search for that 'usable donor body" before you spend a single nickel on restomod parts...you may just bump against reality in finding a suitable, affordable candidate.

Folks will have you think a restomod-able body grows on trees - they don't.

You'll kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteClug (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 PM
CorvetteClug
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
thats why I said about don't fall into the trap about thinking your get off cheap by buying a car that needs things. now if you like a challenge and accept that fact that you will most likely spend more then what the car is worth and have a project that could last years then go for it. it takes a bunch of man hours to build one. and life can and will get in the way
Tell me about it. I have 2 boys in travel baseball, and that starts end of January!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

I disagree with buying one already gussied up. It just needs to drive and look ok from 30’. BECAUSE.... the misses will ask how much once for the buy. Then you ride her around, people wave, folks come up and ask her about HER car while you put in gas, she gets to learn how to wave with her hand straight up flexing at the wrist, her lady friends are envious of romantic evening drives in the vert, ladies elbow husbands at the drive in..... THEN... “honey, OUR vette needs a paint job” “why yes it does!” This approach avoids all additional “how much” asks. Takes a little longer but the deal is SHE has skin in the game. “Honey, our heads need some work, I think we’ll just go with a cheap set of aluminum Brodix”.... “ok whatever”. See, all she cared about was the 25k to get in.... NOT the 40k to get her ride “right”. Just trust me on this.... I’m a seasoned C2 owner. THEN you tell her we need a frame... she imagines like a picture thing or something.... Oh... Throw in the word safety once in a while, particularly when kids are part of the plan... yep... before you know it you have a very nice C2. Cheers to Lankisster.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lotsacubes:
6T5RUSH (01-16-2018), CorvetteClug (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

CorvetteClug,
I'm with those who think its more expensive to build what you want than to buy it. But, if you decide to try the "usable donor body," check with the officials in your state who have to approve the titling and registration of cars FIRST. In my state (Alabama) you have to provide proof of the origin of the major components to show that the car was not built with parts stolen from some other car. For example, you would need to identify the VIN associated with an original body, frame, engine or transmission, or the MSO for a reproduction body or frame. You'll need to do a lot of homework before you start spending money to go down this path wisely.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kellsdad
CorvetteClug,
I'm with those who think its more expensive to build what you want than to buy it. But, if you decide to try the "usable donor body," check with the officials in your state who have to approve the titling and registration of cars FIRST. In my state (Alabama) you have to provide proof of the origin of the major components to show that the car was not built with parts stolen from some other car. For example, you would need to identify the VIN associated with an original body, frame, engine or transmission, or the MSO for a reproduction body or frame. You'll need to do a lot of homework before you start spending money to go down this path wisely.
In Pa it’s simple. All you need is a manufacturer issued vin tag attached correctly with a title of car and a bill of sale. If no tittle you need a current registration. If none of that you will need to apply for a new vin tag. Note sure what’s involved as I never done it or looked into it
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by CorvetteClug
Hi everyone,

I'm a thirty something from over in the c4 forums. I currently own a 1992, which I have owned for some time. I love it, but my dream car has always been a C2 vert. I haven't really paid attention for some time to what pricing is, and a quick search doesn't help. Pricing is really al over the place.

I guess my question would be: What should I expect to pay if I can find what would be ideal for me, which would be a c2 vert, NOM or roller, solid but with perhaps bad paint, mostly complete but needing some lovin'?

Look at www.mershons.com for both C1 and C2 Corvettes for sale.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
In Pa it’s simple. All you need is a manufacturer issued vin tag attached correctly with a title of car and a bill of sale. If no tittle you need a current registration. If none of that you will need to apply for a new vin tag. Note sure what’s involved as I never done it or looked into it
NO, NO, NO!! that is the kiss of death on the value of a classic car.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Let me clarify my earlier post. ... If you start with a body or chassis with a valid VIN plate and accompanying paperwork, then you can rebuild it anyway you want in my state. What I was describing was someone buying a "usable donor body" WITHOUT a VIN plate and paperwork. In my mind a "donor body" is just a fiberglass shell, not a VIN plated car that needs to be rebuilt.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Vert???

Originally Posted by Patrick03
"vert" is short for convertible.
What he said! Use the term all the time.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:42 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick03
"vert" is short for convertible.
Not to be confused with pervertible, where the top doesn't go down, but the driver does.
The following users liked this post:
USMC 0802 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM
CorvetteClug
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
Look at www.mershons.com for both C1 and C2 Corvettes for sale.
If the nassua blue one was 40K, I'd find it hard not to drive west!

I'm thankful for all the responses, gentlemen. I can see now how buying a driver quality instead of a heap would save a lot of money and headache down the line, especially seeing the cars on this link.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 AM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Assuming you have $20-25K set aside in cash you may want to consider this. Find a finance company that specializes in old cars. Put the minimum down and save your cash to do what you need to do. You are going to have to buy something running and driving that has financeable value. The advantage is you will have a running driving car that you can work on as you go along. Since you have both mechanical and painting ability you are really only looking at parts cost. There are many C2 out there that need paint and TLC that can be bought accordingly.
Check out Lightstream ( a division of Suntrust)

Offered 15K @ 48 mnths for 2.79 APR for classic car. NOt a bad deal at all if you have to borrow money.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Assuming you have $20-25K set aside in cash you may want to consider this. Find a finance company that specializes in old cars. Put the minimum down and save your cash to do what you need to do. You are going to have to buy something running and driving that has financeable value. The advantage is you will have a running driving car that you can work on as you go along. Since you have both mechanical and painting ability you are really only looking at parts cost. There are many C2 out there that need paint and TLC that can be bought accordingly.
IMHO if you don't have the cash to buy an antique car, wait until you do, especially one that needs work. Financing is for new cars. OTOH I've never financed a new car either.

"You can find a decent "vert" for the mid 40's and a real nice one in the 50's. Just keep watching the thread in the forum with all the for sale C2's until one strikes your eye. Just don't go too low and get upside down because of all the repairs, paint, etc needed to make it what you want. I have found I come out ahead to get one pretty close to the way I want it to start with. 65ggvert"

Here is a 63 verte that needs nothing for $41k: https://63corvetteverte.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 01-15-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:35 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Great looking entry level Sting Ray convertible, with hardtop. Perfect for someone who loves them in white.

Quick Reply: [C2] C2 newbie pricing question