C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM
denson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..

Gearing up to tackle installation this week of a new top from E-Z on...
Wilcox has an excellent diagram showing front-to-back bow spacing of :
15 3/4" ...8 1/8"...4 3/8"...6"....total of 34 1/4"
Whereas Ecklers with their repop soft top frame install instructions show:
15 1/2"...8 1/2"...5 1/2"...3 3/4"... "all measurements may vary up to 1""
Probably going to go with the Wilcox readings. Any info appreciated.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 442 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It really depends upon where the back rear bow were the window falls into place. Start from the back forward to get the spacing correct. The last bow will look off if it is not set correct. You would not want the tack strip to look off if that makes any sense.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:43 PM
denson
Intermediate

Default 1960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..

Ok i think you are correct..most important is the spacing from the rear bow that lays atop the deck..to..the bow just above the window..can anyone give me the correct measurement for this?? i think you are supposed to make wooden spacers to space the bows correctly at the back two...thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by denson; 01-16-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:00 PM
denson
Intermediate

Default 960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..

Also there are (2) made-up (of top material) straps included in the kit...abou 2" X 2'...these i pesume tie the rear deck bow and the #4 bow together on each side of the rear window...i see in the 1963-67 pixs they are held to the lower (Rear deck) bow by small metal strap and screws. but i don't see that on the 1958-60 rear bow....are they stapled to the bows or is there s stronger method of attachment and how to prevent them from showing as a bulge under top material? i guess its time for pixs tomorrow....
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by denson
Also there are (2) made-up (of top material) straps included in the kit...abou 2" X 2'...these i pesume tie the rear deck bow and the #4 bow together on each side of the rear window...i see in the 1963-67 pixs they are held to the lower (Rear deck) bow by small metal strap and screws. but i don't see that on the 1958-60 rear bow....are they stapled to the bows or is there s stronger method of attachment and how to prevent them from showing as a bulge under top material? i guess its time for pixs tomorrow....
Sent you a PM.
Dave Z
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 PM
denson
Intermediate

Default 1960 Corvette soft top insta...

today's progress....
the rear straps are 3 layers of top materia but for some reason 'open' on one side....
On a 1963-667 insta

l i see the lower end of the straps are attached with screws and bracket to to 'deck' bow so i probably will duplicate that....
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Yesterday Dave Z dropped me a note about your post ...... He has a installation document that I wrote and that he edited and detailed and will send it to you. It will likely answer more of your questions. Here are some details and some pics from the doc.....

The 56-60 rear bow is not thick enough for a strap bracket and screws. It has a tack strip for those 2 straps to be stapled to. 61-62 rear bows are thick aluminum and threaded for those strap brackets. 63-67 rear bows also are threaded for those brackets. The 56-60 straps are stapled to the rear bow and wrapped over the bow to lay flat against the inside of the vinyl top interior cotton surface. Original bows have a depression on the outside surface to accommodate the strap thickness. All original tops will show a slight bulge in that area. Reproduction rear bows do not have that depression and bulge a bit more. More info here on that. The strap full length seam(exposed edge of the 3 layers) can go either way as it'ls hardly noticeable once installed. Pics below show it so it's against the inside of the top material.

Rear bow to #4 bow(with tack strip) is usually around 15 3/4" at each strap location, measured from lower edge of rear bow to center of #4 bow at the window sides. Center of the window is a tad more due to bow curvatures. As Jimh mentioned in his post, with the vinyl top rear window face down on a table, measure from the inside flap of the lower seam(where strap gets stapled to the rear bow), up to the split seam above the rear window. Measure on each side where the straps will attach to #4 bow to ensure they'll end up evenly spaced horizontally. Whatever that is, transfer that measurement to the frame rear bow lower edge to #4 bow tack strip center where the straps will get stapled later after the vinyl is stapled to the rear bow. Straps MUST get stapled to the rear bow before the vinyl top gets stapled to the rear bow.

On another note, all of the small machine screws holding the top pads to the bows.... If you haven't, it's a good idea to use a small hammer and roll the edges of the concave washers down around their entire circumference. Even with the foam over them the edges can show later if you don't.

Also, if you stand the Photobucket crappy ads, here are links to more photos.

Rich

Note in the rear strap photos, the rear bow is upside down.....

Last edited by rich5962; 01-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:09 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Sent the file last night. Hope it got through OK.
DZ
Old 01-30-2018, 03:16 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by denson
Gearing up to tackle installation this week of a new top from E-Z on...
Wilcox has an excellent diagram showing front-to-back bow spacing of :
15 3/4" ...8 1/8"...4 3/8"...6"....total of 34 1/4"
Whereas Ecklers with their repop soft top frame install instructions show:
15 1/2"...8 1/2"...5 1/2"...3 3/4"... "all measurements may vary up to 1""
Probably going to go with the Wilcox readings. Any info appreciated.
The measurements in the picture below are from Al, I've used them for years without any issues. I made the picture because some people get confused on where to start the measurement. I'm not sure how many tops Ek has installed, but I've done my fair share of them. (I really don't like doing them either).

Rich, I bookmarked your link too, lots of great pictures there.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-30-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..

Quick Reply: 1960 Corvette soft top bow spacing..