C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] How to refinishinh the wiper motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 11:48 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default How to refinishinh the wiper motor?

i am not sending it off to rebuild service for replate, my car isn't stock.

I stripped the 18 layers of multiple black rattlecan and various body color paint off it with a wire wheel,and brake cleaner. Gotta change the main power pigtail next, it was crisped in some long ago engine fire before I got the car, a longer lead and some soldering iron time should fix that.

I am thinking nice semi gloss black cerakote, as i don't want to draw attention to the wiper motor. Alternately, maybe very dark silver grey. No bright silver/cad plate look, though. I think semi gloss black is the best choice. Here is pic of some of the rest of the engine compartment/motor.
This is all part of a firewall,and upper inner fender refurb, to get rid of layers of old rattle can paint, oily dirt,and ickies from the previously mentioned prehistoric engine fire. it didn't seem to be bad fire, but the wiper pigtail was charred,a nd the two nylon pieces that actuate the motor had been melted together at some time. You can see part of the wiper washer gizmo at the very right in the pic.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
dcamick (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:47 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Doug, I think you should chrome it to match the valve covers and air cleaner lid....

But seriously, I would do as you suggest and pick a color and finish that best blends with the rest of the engine compartment. To the discerning eye, just being clean and having a new, unblemished finish is going to say 'attention to detail', to anyone else, it will just fade into the background.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 11-20-2019, 02:35 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The wiper motor and main transmission was cerkoted in a black that is somewhere between satin and semi-gloss, with the fasteners in bright natural finish and the control mechanism stuff up top in natural cleaned potmetal and white nylon. it looks OK, I think,and a lot better than it did.
I think i will check out some of the power taps (right above the parking brake power source) on the left of the fuse block, for a switched power source for the motor, as I don't use a ballast resistor.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To How to refinishinh the wiper motor?

Quick Reply: [C1] How to refinishinh the wiper motor?